Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Salzburg Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/salzburg-questions-734855/)

lyndash Sep 7th, 2007 12:51 PM

Salzburg Questions

I will be in Salzburg Feb. 2008 for 1 or 2 nights as a stop between Munich and Vienna.

I wondering if anyone has been to the Barockmuseum on the Mirabell Gardens grounds? Also the Residenzgalerie on the 3rd floor of the Residenz or the Rupertinum/ Museum der Moderne?

They are mentioned in the latest Fodor's Austria book but I'm having a hard time finding out much more info online or in other books.

I want to wander the town and see the churches and the Mozart home [not a SOM music gal however!] so I'm still trying to decide whether to allocate 1 or 2 nights.

Also, as a side question, if you were planning a week each in Vienna and Munich which would you hit 1st? I started off thinking that Munich would be smaller and Vienna more grand so I should finish in Vienna, but the more I do the planning I think they seem very much the same? any thoughts?

thanks...lynda

lyndash Sep 11th, 2007 01:10 PM

anyone?

Bird Sep 11th, 2007 01:29 PM

lyndash,

I'm not sure if I would categorize Munich as "smaller and Vienna more grand". Both are large cities with a much different feel and culture. I found Munich to be more vibrant and kitschy than Vienna - which I thought was a bit musty with imperialism.

Salzburg is good for 2 nights, but is crawling with tourists.

I prefer Munich to Vienna, but those are fighting words to some on this board.

lyndash Sep 11th, 2007 04:12 PM

Thank you Bird for your reply. 'musty with imperialism'!! I love that phrase. I think that is sort of what I meant by 'grand'. sort of the old grande dame with her mink cape at the opera as opposed to the beer hall of Munich.

I realize it is probably gross over generalization on my part and I fully expect to enjoy both cities. ...lynda

sheri_lp Sep 11th, 2007 05:52 PM

I wonder if they still run those Sound of Music tours?? It was kinda kooky even 20+ years ago when I did it. But Salzburg is a beautiful city and I think it would be less touristy in February?

lyndash Sep 12th, 2007 05:36 AM

sheri, I'm very much in hope of less tourist traffic in Feb. Maybe someone else can chime in on that as well.

I was in Paris the past 2 Feb.and Rome and Florence the Feb before and that was my impression. No lines at museums for the most part but I don't know if being in a place that is close to ski resorts will make a difference.....lynda

lightpacker Sep 12th, 2007 05:45 AM

I was in Salzburg a few years ago at the end of February/beginning of March and it was beautifully snowy and we felt like we were the only tourists!

The Sound of Music tour was so much fun, but you'd probably have to be a fan of the movie. Also, the sites aren't quite as recognizable when covered with snow. They take you to some cute little towns that I think even non-fans would enjoy.

I didn't hit the museums, but just walking around was great. Depending on when your train times are, one night would probably be enough for you if you don't do the SOM stuff.

dfr4848 Sep 12th, 2007 06:41 AM

<...but those are fighting words to some on this board>

Not here. I totally agree with Bird. Munich is one of our favorite cities in Europe. They're fairly close in pop. (Vienna has 1.6 M; Munich has 1.2 M), but totally different in atmosphere, culture etc. I don't think it matters where you start, but your plan sounds fine.

I would suggest 2 nights in Salzburg. Very enjoyable town and easy to navigate the center city. Sorry, but we haven't been to 3 places you mention (certainly been to the Residenz, but not the 3rd floor galerie), so can't shed any light on those.

ira Sep 12th, 2007 07:12 AM

Hi L,

I would give Salzburg at least 3 nights.

The Salzburg card is worth the money.
http://www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_283.htm

I'm not sure that Munich is worth a week.

Have you considered a few days in Prague?

((I))

AisleSeat Sep 12th, 2007 08:20 AM

I love Munich and Vienna has a lot to see but you can easily give up two nights for Salzburg. If you spend one of your Munich days daytripping to the castles it might be worth staying a week.

In February in Salzburg you might consider a horse-drawn sleigh ride. There are a couple of companies that offer that.

KatieL Sep 12th, 2007 09:01 AM

My sister and I visited all three of those cities in May/June. We were only in Munich one day, so I can't really comment on that.

Salzburg was our favorite city in Europe, out of the seven we visited. It was the only place we were truly sad to leave. Of course, we want to return to all, but we were just not ready to leave Salzburg after 3 nights. It was charming, beautiful, the people were very nice, and there was more to do than we expected. Don't miss a trip up to Eagle's nest. We liked Mirabell Gardens, but they didn't consume much time. We didn't visit the other places you mentioned.

The Salzburg card is a great deal! Have fun!

DAX Sep 12th, 2007 09:09 AM

I was just in Salzburg for my 5th visit early this month. We sympathized with our friend who had to go on the SOM tour because his wife really wanted to. He was dreading it but after the tour he was actually quite happy with the tour as he got to see Mondsee plus the tour guide was very good he said.

lyndash Sep 12th, 2007 10:48 AM

Thanks for the answers y'all.

I'm coming to the decision that 6 days in Munich will be enough and I will include a day trip up to Nurnberg to see the Durers at the museum and see the Durer house. That looks to be a doable day trip, yes?

And I will definitely do 2 nights in Salzburg on our way to Vienna. Everyone seems so charmed by the city it will be worth not trying to rush things.

The Salzburg card looks like it may work if it is a 24 hour from the time of purchase? I couldn't tell from the website. Do you remember, Ira or Kaitel? ...lynda

DAX Sep 12th, 2007 12:31 PM

Yes Nurnberg can be done as a daytrip, we did enjoy visiting Durer's house, it's a small museum. I've never bought Salzburg card but typically those cards require activation by punching the date (Entwertung), so it should be valid 24 hr after punching the date.

AisleSeat Sep 12th, 2007 12:36 PM

A good way to get to Nurnberg is to use the Bayern Ticket for the train. It cover up to 5 people for the day for 27 euros anywhere in Bavaria. You do have to travel after 9am on weekdays however. It also goes to Salzburg from Munich

KatieL Sep 12th, 2007 02:12 PM

I'm not sure how the card works. We didn't get one, but regretted it. We ended up doing much more than we had planned, and it would have been well worth the money.

Sorry I can't be more specific! The tourist info booth at the train station there is great, though. They were very friendly and helpful. They should be able to tell you the best way to use the card, and they can sell it to you.

Nonconformist Sep 12th, 2007 03:03 PM

I've been to the first two. They were OK, but I don't think they'd be a priority with as little time as you will have. OTOH neither took that long -it was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly, but an hour maximum I think.

What you really shouldn't miss is the castle, which is the most interesting place in Salzburg imo.

ira Sep 13th, 2007 08:09 AM

Hi L,

>The Salzburg card looks like it may work if it is a 24 hour from the time of purchase?

It's 24 hr from the time of activation.

You write your starting date on it and then it is good for buses. If you visit a site (sight) first, the card is activated by insertion into a card reader.

If you are on a bus an hour or so after expiration, they won't hassle you.

((I))