Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Salzburg Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/salzburg-hotels-974140/)

mjperry Apr 13th, 2013 07:19 AM

Salzburg Hotels

Narrowed it down to Goldener Hirsch, Sacher Salzburg and Sheraton Salzburg for 3 night stay in a Triple for our family of 3. I know the GH and Sacher are pricier and located near the old city sites but I wonder if the Sheraton might be quieter with larger rooms and a better deal near the Gardens despite the hotel chain atmosphere. Traveling with wife and daughter so I we need a large room with charm. Help!

Can also use suggestions in Prague and Vienna? Thanks.

nytraveler Apr 13th, 2013 05:10 PM

We stayed at the Sacher before it became part of the chain and it was an absolutely gorgeous hotel - in the 1890s style you can hardly find any longer, The location - right across the river form aldstadt is perfect - and the views, from out rooms at least, were incredible. Rooms were very large - as they made them then in luxury hotels.

No way a Sheraton could compete. If in doubt ask them for specific size of your room at the Sacher. (We got 2 bedrooms off a small private hallway that was perfect for out trip with daughters.)

HIPoolboy Apr 13th, 2013 07:30 PM

Loved the location of Goldener Hirsch and the room we stayed in was quite large. Staff was great there too. In the evening, it was fun to sit outside and people watch. and it is so convenient to so many of the sites. The walk over to the other side of the river was super easy.

Delaine Apr 15th, 2013 10:32 AM

I loved the Goldener Hirsch! The location was fabulous. We also had a large corner room that was decorated in Tyrolean style. The hotel had a very warm, cozy style to it, and I liked everything about it.

In Vienna I have stayed at 2 other Starwood properties, the Bristol (directly across from the Staatsoper) and the Grand Wien (about a block down the street from the Bristol). Both were beautiful, opulent properties in the Grand European style. Of the two, I preferred the Bristol (slightly better location). I believe that I had the largest and most ornate room I've ever stayed in there. It had an entry hall and an enormous closet/dressing room. There is also the Hotel Imperial (almost across the Ringstrasse from the Grand). I have been inside but not stayed there. There is also a Sacher in Vienna, close to the Staatsoper; I had a fantastic dinner before the opera at their Rote Bar Restaurant but haven't stayed there.

In Prague I stayed at the Intercontinental in the Josefov right on the banks of the Vltava. It was nice, but nothing special. There I might check into the Four Seasons or Hotel U Prince (great rooftop bar), both in Old Town.

LisaG Apr 15th, 2013 11:30 PM

mjperry,

I've stayed at the Four Seasons in Prague, and thought it was delightful. A really gorgeous hotel. As I recall, the rooms are not large, but so well appointed and thought-out that it really worked.

Happy travels,

LisaG

Cathinjoetown Apr 16th, 2013 12:24 AM

I've stayed twice at the Goldener Hirsch, would stay again in a heartbeat. Wonderful location.

In Vienna I like the Hotel König von Ungaran, again excellent location and loads of Viennese atmosphere.

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Prague, great location ( is there a theme here?) The service was very good, they organized an excellent private walking tour for four which was the best value tour I've done in a long while.