Salzburg Day Trips with Teenagers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling with my four teens 17 and 19 (girls/boys) for six nights the end of June - splitting the time between Salzburg and Munich. Although we want time to explore Salzburg, there are many activities outside Salzburg that we would enjoy. I would appreciate some feedback on how these activities would best fit into the time we have available. Can all of these activities be done in one long day out? I am happy to rent a car or even hire a guide for the day to explore the areas so I don't have to deal with parking, getting lost, etc.

From Salzburg:

Salt Mines - which one would be best for older kids?
Ice Caves
Hitlers Eagles's Nest, Documentation Center and Bunkers
Luge Rides

Also - We will be arriving from the US and then flying to Brussels. I thought it might make most sense to land in Munich, but head straight to Salzburg for our first few days and then end in Munich before flying to Brussels.

Anything else that might be of interest to teens who like adventure, history and good food?
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 12:43 PM

We visited the salt mines a very long time ago, and I've got to say that I didn't find it tremendously interesting. You might have your group check out the website, and they can see what they think.

I think it would be a very long day indeed.

We really liked visiting the small town of Hallstat, which doesn't have much adventure (though I'm not sure how you define adventure), and it's the same Austrian food, but it's a gorgeous town, and we were able to rent a boat and go paddling around the lake.

Within Salzburg, you can take a walk/hike on and to Kapuzinerberg, which has a Capuchin monastery at the end.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight - with so much to do in the area I am trying to find a day that will be fun and give us a break from the tons of museums we will be visiting during our travels. I have been on the fence trying to decide about the salt mines and ice caves. It seems like the ice caves are really an all day adventure regardless of which one I choose. Salt mines might not be a teenage attraction?

I will look into options for boating/hiking.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 07:05 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved the salt mine and was adult when I went a few years ago. I took a half day tour to go and remember looking up to see the Eagles nest which I had no interest in. So those two could be done in a day. The Ice cave wasn't open when I went or I would have done that as well. I did go into an ice cave in a Glacier once so not the same as what you mention but I think worth mentioning as I thought it was ok. I was more interested with the salt mine. I liked sliding down the rail into the mine and you ride a little train to get into and out of the mine. They give you a little container of salt at the end. I still have mine. Some people might think it's silly or not interesting but I would show the website to your teens and see if it's something they'd like to do.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 10:20 AM

Um - your "kids" are really young adults. Can they do this research for themselves?

They should be looking at the Let's Go Student guides and also the Thorn Tree section of the Lonely Planet web sites to see what kids their age reco in terms of sights and also in terms of nightlife.

From the first time we took our DDs, 11 and 14, to europe (London and Paris) they took an active part in deciding what sights they wanted to see, as well as some restaurants and other activities (both asked to see the ballet in paris).

They will be much more invested if they do some of the work. After all, many eurpean kids hat age would be traveling by themselves at that age (and I went to europe at 19 with my boyfriend).
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 03:25 AM

I loved the salt mine at 20. I loved it at 60. My kids loved it. I really liked the Ice cave at Werfen. I've done it twice and would have done it again if it had been open in Dec.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 04:46 AM

I really enjoyed the salt mine. The Celtic village is interesting as well.