salzburg christmas

Mar 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM
mei
Original Poster

salzburg christmas

I'm in the early stages of planning to be in Salzburg with my family of five for Christmas. I have been trying to find apartment lodging with little luck...HELP!! I want the apartment so we can be together instead of separate hotel rooms and also so I can cook Christmas Eve and Day...I'm guessing no restaurants will be open those days?? Also, will I have trouble finding an apartment for only 3 nights at that time of year??
Mar 30th, 2007, 02:29 AM
JN

Type in "Salzburg Apartment" into the search box and you will get various threads with information that will help you.

Here is one apartment not far from the train depot
http://www.sbg.at/derspengler/appartmentkaserbacher/#
Mar 30th, 2007, 02:44 AM

If you have no luck with apartments, look for hotels that have restaurants and confirm the restaurants will be open Christmas eve and day. Hotel restaurants can be surprisingly good and inexpensive. On our trip to Salzburg last year, we ate in the hotel's restaurant almost every night (my mother was too tired from the day's sightseeing to want to head out again), the food was excellent and very moderately priced.
Mar 30th, 2007, 04:10 AM
mei
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I would actually love to eat out....I'm just worried there will be nothing open and I want my family to have a nice holiday meal. If you know of any nice restaurants open on those days, I'd love to know more about them
Mar 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM
mei
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:01 PM

Mei - I'm having a lot of difficulty in finding accomodations at the time of the year also. Normally we prefer to stay in Berchtesgaden/Koenigsee but this year, for some reason, most places I've e-mailed are only accepting week long bookings for the holidays.

I normally avoid hotels because you can get a better cultural experience as well as save a lot of cash by staying on farms, pensions or Zimmer Freis. But so far this year every place either requires a 7 night stay or the prices are over $100 for a double room. Oddly enough, I am finding cheaper accomodations for my nights in Berlin, Prague and Vienna.

You might try www.salzburg.info. No help for my situation but they do have apartment info
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM
mei
Original Poster

Thanks Zues...I ended up booking a hotel for 3 nights(it's relatively pricey, but for Christmas we're Okay with that) and in my correspondence with the innkeeper I've learned that several restaurants will be open for Christmas dinner and a few for Christmas Eve too...we'd much rather eat the local cuisine than cook. A trip report by Thelrose has been really helpful. Good luck with your plans.