Salzburg as daytrip from Munich

Nov 24th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Salzburg as daytrip from Munich

I will be in Munich for 5 days in late January and would love to hop over to Salzburg for a day. I attended the University of Salzburg in the late 70s and have fond memories of the city and its surroundings.

Is this an easy daytrip? What should I not miss when there only for day? Are there any cafes or restaurants that are particularly good?

I jsut booked this today and I am so very looking forward to it!
Nov 24th, 2004, 01:01 PM

do a search for 'bayern ticket' here to find the easiest and cheapest way to train from Munich to Salzburg.
Nov 24th, 2004, 01:32 PM

The obvious places to see are the castle and Mozart's birthplace. We really just enjoy hanging out in the old city and squares. We had a nice dinner at the Goldenen Ente. It was duck (what else would you expect at the Golden Duck Hotel?)
Nov 24th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Rail takes between 1 1/2 hours (Eurocity non-stop) to 2 hours ("local").
First EC usually leaves Munich around 7:30 AM; earliest local around 6:00 AM
Nov 24th, 2004, 02:23 PM

As for transit, hourly trains blast to Salzburg in 1.5 hrs. Though the Bayern Ticket may be cheapest it may restrict you to non-express trains - i don't know but many of Germany's regional passes are just for regional trains. If you're going by yourself a ticket bought from RailEurope in US is $45 in first class and $33 in second each way - compare these with fares on the www.bahn.de site - they may be cheaper. If you travel with someone else, however, tickets in Germany give a 50% break to the second traveler without formality at the ticket window. But single walk-up fares are higher than RailEurope - i've compared many recently. But the Bayern ticket could be really cheap if you want to take longer on slower trains or if it covers the IC and EC fast trains.
Nov 29th, 2004, 06:41 AM

salzburg is only about 86 miles from munich so you are definitely able to do it in a day. if you go to the castle, count how many turnip crests you can find on the walls! markets in the squares are fun, too bad you will be missing the christmas ones...
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM

The Bayernkarte is the cheapest way to get between Munich and Salzburg. You travel with the DB all the way there and back.
The travel time does indeed vary, and the Bayernkarte does restrict you to local trains.

Nov 29th, 2004, 10:08 AM

PS. (I jumped the gun.)
the variation in travel times is great.
The slowest time is 2 hours; the shortest is 1 hour, 28 minutes.

The normal prices on the website are 25€for the express and 20.80 € for a local.

The fastest trains do not stop.

I think you will need to decide which you want. Less cost or quicker travel times.

I would recommend the Festung on the hill. It will be cold up there, probably. I think the coldest my feet ever felt was in a castle because those stone floors are great heat sinks. They chill your poor toes to the bone unless you are well prepared.

Other than that, I suppose the various churches and the Mozart connected buildings and birth places are the next best bet. Schloss Heilbrunn will not be as big an attraction because the trick fountains will be shut.

The next best place is the Marionetten Theater. I thought it was more of a magic show because of the skill of the people who handle the marionettes. They are incredible to watch.
Talk about dexterity -- wow!!

Nov 29th, 2004, 10:54 AM

"The next best place is the Marionetten Theater."

Bob, did you have to pull some strings to get in?
Nov 29th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Saltzburg is an easy daytrip from Munich. Leave right after breakfast and you have plenty of time for sightseeing in Saltzburg. Food and shopping are great also! We wandered thru squares, churchyards, and cemeteries (lots of interesting people buried in Saltzburg). We returned to Munich in time for supper at a beer garden! K