Salzburg and Vienna in mid-November

Oct 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Salzburg and Vienna in mid-November

I am traveling to Salzburg and Vienna in mid-November. Would love some restaurant ideas in both places (teens and adults in group). Also, Christmas markets won't be open yet but are there other places to shop for Christmas items? Any suggestions for not-to-miss sites and any ideas for shopping bargains? We have about 2 days in each city! Thank you so much!
Oct 28th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Both cities are very compact, and you can easily explore them by walking.

Here, some more detailed tips for Wien:

- There is a fleamarket along the Wien river (Wienzeile) which might be interesting for you. (I once bought there two art nouveau lamps.)

- Restaurants:

-- Low budget: There are dozens of Beisls, traditional restaurants, which serve local dishes. My personal favorite is "Zu den drei Hacken", but there are many others. "Figlmüller" serves the largest Wienerschnitzel, the "Gulaschmuseum" specializes in beef stew.

-- Kaffeehäuser: The Kaffeehaus was invented in Wien and is very typical for this city. You go there in the afternoon to warm up, have a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and a rich dessert. You go to the bar and choose from what you see. Most famous Kaffeehäuser are Demel, Diglas, Eimel, Central, Landtmann.. but there are many others.

-- Medium-priced: Go to Plachutta! They do not just serve, they celebrate Tafelspitz! No other place makes it better.

-- High-end: My personal favorite is RieGi, but Meinl am Graben and Palais Coburg are also very good. The Steirereck is like a travel back in time.
Oct 28th, 2007, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi B,

>Would love some restaurant ideas...

What's your budget?

Oct 28th, 2007, 08:00 AM
JN

Can't remember where we ate in Vienna, but in Salzburg, I'd easily recommend:
1. Skiftskeller St. Peter for fine dining in elegant surroundings

2. Wilder Mann or Zipfer Bierstube for casual, lower-cost dining in a typical stube atmosphere with Austrian specialities. Both places allow smoking, though, if that is a concern.

All of these are in the Altstadt, not far from the main cathedral.
Oct 28th, 2007, 08:01 AM
JN

Oops, I meant
STiftskeller.
Oct 28th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Although it's been a couple of years since we were last in Vienna, we really enjoyed eating at the Palmgarten. It's a lovely setting and the food was pretty good too.

Another of my favorites is the Griechenbeisl. It has a lot of history and good food. We made a reservation online.

If interested, you can find more info by doing a google search.
Oct 28th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Bookmark.
Oct 30th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I will take all the ideas plus more!! Our budget is probably goingn to be middle of the road (teens traveling with have a budget!) We have all the cultural sites planned but I know they will want to do a bit of shopping--any ideas??? What are the bargains/items to buy there? You all are great!
Oct 30th, 2007, 05:38 AM

I always find it interesting that travelers are to visit 2 of the most charming cities in Europe and they want to know about food and shopping. You can do that at home. Try to enjoy that which is unique to Austria and do not miss the music in Vienna.
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Now, now, Bob, people do have to eat. The shopping is a matter of personal preference I suppose.

I suggest you look for local handcrafted items. I remember there was a store on Kaertnerstrasse near St. Stephens that sold Austrian made items exclusively. Maybe someone else here can remember the name??

One of the things we now bring home when we travel are old antique prints of local landmarks that we can frame. You might also look for newer paintings or watercolors by a local artist.
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Not only do they have to eat, but how many places in the US serve Tafelspitz? (Bubbles, I'm assuming that's where you're posting from.) Now people looking for hamburgers, or bacon and eggs, is a little harder to understand. I would think that a lot of why a lot of us travel is to eat what you don't see at home.
Oct 30th, 2007, 08:59 AM

In Salzburg, the Villeroy et Boch shop, near the main square, sells lovely Christmas things. I brought home several angel candlesticks for friends, among other things."

Just a bit down the street away from the square is a large Christmas store, with all sorts of interesting items.

Expect things in Salzburg to be expensive--it's called the "Salzburg premium.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

We are in Austria for 6 days and have tours of both cities, along with tours of some of the major landmarks lined up. We also will be seeing 5 concerts. Just wanted to have ideas for good Austrian food for the few times we still need restaurant ideas plus a few quick shops to stop at for a great Austrian souvenier. So, thanks, for your ideas.