Salzburg and Munich- quick trip next week and looking for recos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to Austria next week for a wedding in the country a few hours outside of Salzburg. I'm flying in and out of Munich, so was thinking of doing a few days in Salzburg and Munich. After the wedding I will have 3 f1/2 days to travel (ending in Munich). How much time should I spend in each city? Recommendations on what to see and do? I've been to Munich before but only spent 1 1/2. Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Where will you go? A few hours (!) outside of Salzburg could be Vienna or Slovenia
Maybe there are interesting places to explore in the region where the wedding will take place.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

The wedding is in a town called Murau, so from there I was planning on traveling to the cities to get a mix of city and country.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Murau is a relatively small village, less than 3000 people about 150- 175 kilometers south of Salzburg.
You do not mention your method of travel, assume you probably go by train.
the way by auto is usually by the autobahn but this means the tauern Tunnel. This is a major cause of long stalls for vacationers.
many will return from vacations from the balkan areas via this route and traffic can sometimes see massive 20- 30 kilometer stalls bya the tunnel.
The town is old with nice sights of mountains near by and takes your fill of country.
As you already have been even for a short time in Munich , I would take your longer time in and around salzbutg - 2 days as much to see there and it would be directly on your way back to Munich.
In salzburg
sights - depends on your interests-

The Fortress
Mirabel Gardens

The Residenz Palace

The Old town area

Numerous Churches

Mozart houses

Sound of Music sites

a day trip to the lake District.
Ice caves
Salt Mines
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM

We just did a trip that included Munich and Salzburg. We spent two days in Munich (including the day we arrived and had to nap off some jet lag).

In Munich we spent the first day walking around the city taking in the many churches, shops, and great architecture. We went up in the tower of the Frauenkirche for some great views of the city. We also toured the Residenz Museum - which is huge! Public transportation is great in Munich and really easy to figure out (even for two non-German speaking novice travelers like me and my husband). We walked a lot the first day until we realized that we could take the S-bahn, U-bahn or tram anywhere we wanted to. The second day we went to Dachau and then to Nymphenburg Palace, plus some more walking around the Marienplatz area.

We spent one full day in Salzburg. Lots to see there, too! We went to the castle (Hohensalzburg Fortress) and walked around to find several Sound of Music Sites. Went to lots of beautiful churches, had lunch in the market, toured Mozarts' birth place and walked around Mirabel Gardens. We also took a drive out to Hellbrunn Palace to see the trick fountains (highly recommended!).

The next day, we had planned to take a drive through the Austrian Alps, but it was raining so we went to Werfen (not far outside of Salzburg). We toured the castle (Hohenwerfen) and then went to the ice caves. The ice caves were amazing...just be prepared to spend a LOT of time there. We were there a total of 5 1/2 hours - 2+ hours in line to take the cable car up. There are also 1400 stairs to climb once you reach the ice caves - it is cold, dark, and scary (in my opinion). I'm glad we went and had the experience, but it was not easy for me personally!

We did so much in both those cities and there is still more to do! We didn't do any art museums and had to pick and choose what palaces we wanted to tour. Loved it all!

Have fun!