Salt Mines with kids 7 & 9?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering your thoughts on doing the Salt Mines with kids 7 & 9. On other websites people were against going as there is tremendous amount of walking and the sights are not worth it. Wanted to see what you all thought.

Thanks
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:20 AM

Our kids (8 and 14) loved it!

Here is what my DH wrote about it in our blog:

The vast network of underground galleries and chambers was created over the centuries in the mines where salt has been excavated since probably 11th century. There are huge banquet halls, stunning chapels, sculptures, and various displays related to salt mining and the lives of miners. A fascinating tour!

English-speaking tours leave roughly once an hour. We were very lucky with our guide, who not only spoke very good English, but also exhibited very dry sense of humor with deadpan delivery, cracking the group up on many occasions and keeping it lively. The tour itself lasted over an hour and a half; afterwards, we were left on our own to go through another kilometer or so of chambers in order to get to the elevator up. The descent is on foot, via something like 60 8-step flights of stairs.

There are several ways to get to Wieliczka Salt Mines. Organized tours or direct mini-buses are probably the easiest. We opted for the cheapest option instead, taking bus #304 from Filarmonia in city center; it does not stop right by the entrance to the mine complex, but rather a good half-kilometer from it - you need to ask your fellow passengers to alert you to the right stop. But it only cost us about 10 PLZ each way; adding 177 PLZ for the family visit ticket, we spent about half what it would cost for the four of us to go on an organized trip (which would be 380 PLZ if we hired the tour suggested to us by the B&B).

Enjoy!
Bring a small plastic bag with you and let kids collect salt from the walls.

If you'd like to read more about our Krakow visit, look here
http://burlaki.com/travelog/cracow-krakow/#more-822
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Amy

Wow, I can't imagine kids NOT liking it! I guess it really does depend on the kids, but I certainly don't remember the walking as being extreme and the mines were fascinating to me. Here are some pictures to get a bit of an idea about it: http://travel.webshots.com/album/555...oGvOQ?start=24 and my trip report is here, just in case it would be helpful: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-july-2006.cfm
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:56 AM

I think your kids will love it. It's not THAT much walking.
(It depends on your lifestyle -- it may seem like a lot of walking if you are used to driving everywhere)

Bring a sweater. It gets cold down there.

Turn off the flash on your camera; the flash won't work well in the dark.

Wear comfortable walking shoes (heels will hurt).
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM

I agree. It's fascinating and unusual and I can't imagine kids not loving it. And it's really not that much walking.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM

If the kids can't walk long enough for the cave they're going to have problems all over europe - which requires a lot of walking. (If you're used to driving everywhere suggest you all get started on a walking regimen until you can do 5 miles easily.)
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:29 AM

I agree, no problems with stairs. Kids will like it. It is sth amazing. Good shoes, warm clothes. After tour you can have lunch or drink in local restaurant. Tour is not so long either. Have fun!
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM

My family visited the salt mines when I was 15, my sister 13 and my brother 8, we all had a good time and I don't remember anyone complaining about being tired or being bored.