Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Salon de l'Agriculture - Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/salon-de-lagriculture-paris-925725/)

kerouac Feb 28th, 2012 11:23 AM

Salon de l'Agriculture - Paris

I'm still working on my report on this huge annual event, but I don't know how long it will take to finish it. Since the <b>Salon de l'Agriculture</b> is still on at the moment, I thought I should give a link to my report right now in case anybody currently in Paris has any interest in going there. (I heard a lot of Americans in the crowds yesterday.)

So anywhere, here is something for those of you here at the right time who are looking for something that is really off the beaten track: http://tinyurl.com/agriexpo

A quite similar event during the spring is the <b>Foire de Paris</b> from 27 April to 8 May this year. In terms of the food and international sections, you will find most of the same things and more at that time.

annhig Feb 28th, 2012 11:40 AM

lol kerouac, i know all about this show, thanks a BBC radio serial called "the Archers"!

those of us who are regular listeners will remember that a few years ago, one of the characters called Brian Aldridge used this show as an excuse for meeting up with his paramour, the late lamented Siobhan. [and I think that he has met his daughter Debbie there too, whilst Jennifer did the round of the shops].

the programme is supposed to have an educational aspect [admittedly limited to things agricultural, as it centres round the doings of a farming family in the Midlands] so i can consider myself educated!

CarolJean Feb 28th, 2012 12:49 PM

This was such fun. We are in the middle of a snowstorm and I really enjoyed the "getaway." Thank you!

CarolJean Feb 28th, 2012 12:59 PM

This was such fun. We are in the middle of a snowstorm and I really enjoyed the "getaway." Thank you!

Coquelicot Feb 28th, 2012 06:52 PM

I would love to go to one of these events. So far I've only had a chance to skim your photos, but tomorrow night I'll catch up with all of them. Thanks, kerouac.

ter2000 Feb 29th, 2012 01:25 AM

Oh I'm dazzled! Fascinating as always. Glad to see we Irish were represented!

And dare I ask - what is a black egg?

kerouac Feb 29th, 2012 10:06 AM

I discovered this horror for the first time only a few months ago, and someone else confirmed having seen one once and not being able to eat eggs for several years. You crack the egg and instead of what you expect, a putrid blob of black sludge is in the shell. When it happened to me, I was cracking the 4th egg, so I had to run and dump the whole mess in the toilet and flush it away.

I still feel slightly stressed when I crack an egg now.

Southam Feb 29th, 2012 11:55 AM

Wow, my mouth is watering.
If you haven't done it yet, a similar report on the biennial Paris auto show would be welcome. Horsepower of another sort.

kerouac Feb 29th, 2012 12:20 PM

True, I have never to the auto show either, because I have never owned any sort of vehicle (not even a bicycle), so it didn't seem to have much point. But maybe I will change my mind.

cigalechanta Feb 29th, 2012 02:14 PM

Sorry I'll be there a week too late as I saw some wonderful photos from last years Salon.

cigalechanta Feb 29th, 2012 02:23 PM

That greyish rabbit is adorable.

Coquelicot Feb 29th, 2012 05:50 PM

This thing looks huge, much much bigger than the Pennsylvania Farm Show, which is already bigger than an exhibition needs to be.

Aren't the maraichine cows lovely? I'd like to see some of this breed on the hoof but they aren't that common, so it was nice to see your photo.

Only one booth for chocolate and one for caramel products? I hope they were giving out free samples.

Seamus Feb 29th, 2012 06:34 PM

kerouac, <<<i>merci bien autre fois</i>>> your photojournalism brings such delight to my life!

kerouac Feb 29th, 2012 09:15 PM

Coquelicot, there is never "just one booth" for any product, particularly things like chocolate and caramel. You have to multiply everything that appears in my pictures by 20 to get an idea of how much there is to see. And I only saw about 10% of the animals that were on display.

The Salon is a must for any candidate when an election is coming up. Sarkozy spent 4 hours there and his main challenger spent 12 hours this week. My pitiful little visit only lasted 2 and a half hours.

Ackislander Mar 1st, 2012 01:39 AM

Absolutely fantastic -- a state fair on steroids with glitz!

These photo reports are a real service to the travel community and the photography community. We learn so much!

Thank you!

ter2000 Mar 1st, 2012 03:23 AM

I'm so sorry I asked! Thank you again for your wonderful photo-essays - they really are a delight.

Coquelicot Mar 1st, 2012 03:26 AM

So, kerouac, you don't have the stamina to run for the presidency? It's France's loss.

20 booths each of caramel and chocolate sounds about right.

Nikki Mar 1st, 2012 03:42 AM

There is a very funny column about this event here:

http://www.paris-update.com/fr/hot-t...e-lagriculture

PalenQ Mar 1st, 2012 04:54 AM

marking - great photos!

YankyGal Mar 1st, 2012 09:32 AM

Well that was fun! And relaxing, as opposed to overwhelming, which I am guessing I would be if there in person. Thanks, kerouac.

Now I want some tartiflette, though. Mmmm.

I love la vache qui rit. A quick google shows she's over 90 years old!