Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Salburg must sees, the area, & restaurants.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Salzburg

We'll be based in Berchesgaden for 5 nights with at least one day in Salzburg. What to do, where to eat, day trips around Salzburg. Thanks for your help.....

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:29 AM
jeri

Is the Wolfgangsee worth the drive?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Rex

Yes, yes, yes to Wolfgangsee.<BR><BR>And yes to St.Peter's Stiftskeller (the "oldest restaurant in Middle Europe) for the Mozart dinner concert. Opera with training wheels. But be careful with how easy it is easy to run up a whopping bar bill. ALL the beverages are extra and way over-priced.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:04 PM
a

I agree w/ Rex Wolfgangsee is beautiful. The whole Lake District is breath-taking. I loved Salzburg. It sounds hokey but the "Sound of Music " tour was actually fun, scenic and somewhat educational<BR>Have Fun/

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:12 PM
John

If you have time, go to the Augustiner Beer Hall. Great beer, fun atmosphere. Mirabell Gardens are worth a look, too.<BR><BR>Wolfgansee is beautiful--take a car or bus to St. Gilgen, then a ferry ride to St Wolfgang. Though, if you do this, not much time to explore Salzburg. I guess it then comes down to whether it is the city or countryside that appeals to you. Gute Reise.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Bob Brown

You could easily spend a day and a half of sightseeing in Salzburg. Other than the churches, which are beautiful, I have 3 favorite places:<BR>the Festung up on the hill, Schloss Hellbrunn with its wonderful fountains, and the Marionette Theater. <BR>I sat close to the stage and could see a little of the action as the handlers manipulated the strings. It is a real art to do that sort of thing and do it well. <BR>I enjoyed just wandering around the Old Town, too. If it is a pretty day, perhaps some of the students from the Salzburg Music School will be performing on the streets. One of the most memorable experiences of my visit there in 2000 was listening to a trio play Rossini overtures. I had been wandering around the Old Town when the unmistakable strains of La Gazza Ladra came floating through the air. I followed my ears to the source and found three young men playing away. One had a bass balalaika, one had a mandolin and the third one had an accordian. They ran through the notes like they was programmed into their genes. None of them had any music in front of them, so they must have been the greatest natural players I ever heard. Little gems like that make a trip so much fun that it is hard to describe. Totally unexpected artistic excellence.<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:36 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>