Reload this Page >

Salburg, Innsbruck, Vienna pensions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 11:27 AM
Hilde

This list seems to be very helpful. My daughter and I will be in Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck in April 2002. As we won't be spending much time in Salzburg or Innsbruck, I'd like to be as close to the train station as possible. Any suggestions about a decent, but inexpensive pension? We will be flying into Vienna first, so I suppose it's not too vital that we're near the airport as our luggage won't be that heavy yet! Pension Pertschy certainly has its fans! Last time I stayed near the Westbahnhof and the places were fine, just nothing special. Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 12:08 PM
Lynn

We were quite pleased with our stay in Oct. 1998 at the Hotel Adlerhof, 25 Elisabethstrasse, Salzberg. Nice room, reasonable price and very close to train station (we booked through the tourism office at the station), but still not too far to walk to attractions. You may be able to find info at http://www.gosalzburg.com/reception.htm

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 01:27 PM
Keith

Innsbruck, you might check into the Grey Bauer (Gray Bear) hotel. It's a block from the historical district, very central where you can walk to everything. Fantastic breakfast! Stayed there last March.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 05:05 PM
Al Godon

Sorry, but the word Bauer in German translates in English as farmer or possibly peasant. In chess, I have heard pawns referred to as Die Bauern.<BR>The word for bear is der B&auml;r.<BR>I suspect the place is called Der graue B&auml;r or, most probably, Hotel Grauer B&auml;r, if the name in English is the Hotel Gray Bear.<BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 10:58 PM
Christine

We stayed in the Pension Anna (Zieglergasse)in Vienna in April 2001. Not pricey and very close to Zieglergasse underground station. We booked through nethotels.com.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:04 AM
Sue

My family group of 10 was booked at Gasthof Engl in Innsbruck (trip cancelled b/c of family member accident) thru All Mountain Vacations; it is said to be a charming pensione-type hotel; supposedly lots of locals eat there, always a good sign. The half-pension rate was quite reasonable; we were looking forward to a stay there. Look up Gasthof Engl on Google to get a website.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 08:27 AM
Greg

Hilde,<BR><BR>The last time we were in Vienna we stayed at a very nice hotel called the Turotel. It is near the West Banhof and reasonably priced at 1100 AS + bath + breakfast, of course, now that is about 65 Euros. Anyway, it is a very nice hotel with helpful staff and good size rooms. Have a good trip.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Denise

Hilde: I stayed at Pension Pertschy over the New Year, it was clean, the breakfast substantial, & all within walking distance to many of the sites. The train (subway) was about a 5 minute walk, considering I saved on taxis it was worth the few dollars more I spent at the Pertschy.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Denise

Hilde: Sorry, I could have added this to my message but I see you are travelling to Salzburg as well. We stayed at the Trummer Stumbe (?)it was recommended by Pertschy & it was miserable. The room was cold, as the heat was controlled by the owners & the breakfast miserly overseen by the husband who would dole out small portions of food. Many of the notices posted were "do not leave the light on in the bathroom", "do not smoke in your room", we are a small pension so please pay in cash (we understood they took Visa). Most disturbing is they had no night security, and no access to a telephone (none in the rooms either)the note at the front desk said that in case of emergency go outside down the street to the nearest telephone box and call this number???? And for about $100 US per night.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Linda

I stayed at Hotelpension Arenberg, which is part of the Best Western chain BUT with the posh Vienna charm. It is a 3-minute walk from the Air Terminal where the buses from the Airport arrive. Arenberg is 4-stars, you can use any BW discounts, nice area, 5-minute walk to Stephensplatz. I paid about $50 in December 2000 with off-season and discount.