Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Saint Remy area info --& Villa Glanum or Les Mas de Carassins???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am debating between staying at Villa Glanum or Les Mas de Carassins during my March trip to the Saint Remy area (with husband and teenaged daughter for 3 days), and would appreciate any input from travellers who have stayed at either of these places. Villa Glanum is quite a bit cheaper (42 euros/night--a special following its closure for renovation)--but I wonder if the low price is a reflection of the quality of the place, or just a great deal. Also, any info on what to pack for weather conditions in mid March, suggested 3 day itineraries in the Saint Remy area (we will rent a car), would be appreciated. Thanks to you experienced travelers who share with us beginners!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I'm not familiar with either of those hotels. However, I have stayed near St. Remy (at the Chateau Roussan) and can recommend a few sights.

First of all, make sure that you see the Monastery where Van Gogh convalesced, just outside of town. The cloister there is not to be missed.

Go to Les Baux, a tiny village perched atop a rocky crag. Wonderful views. Make sure you walk all the way to the "end" of town, by the church.

Drive to the hill towns of Bonnieux, Menerbes, Gordes, Rousillan. You don't need to do them all. I did only the first two and found them lovely.

If you like antiques at all, Isle sur sorgue has an antique market on Sunday mornings that is the best of the best. It's also a nice town with good cafes along a pleasant canal and a beautiful church.

Aix-en-Provence, Arles and Avignon are all more than worth while. Perhaps they are different stages of your trip?
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Try to visit Les Baux fairly early in the morning or late afternoon/early evening to miss the tourist crowds. And so go beyond the village--the actual ruins are out toward the edge of the plateau and are absolutely phenomenal, as are the views.

If Villa Glanum is out by Glanum itself you'll be some distance from St-Rémy itself.

As to the weather, think layers--with a warm raincoat and an umbrella.

Itineraries:

Day 1--Arles and the Pont du Gard.

Day 2--Tarascon and Beaucaire; St-Remy; the area of the Alpilles, including Maussane-les-Alpilles

Day 3--Avignon
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've been by the Villa Glanum, it's about a mile to St Remy Center.
No matter where you stay, visit the ancient ruins of Glanum and les Antiques.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 04:12 AM

We are staying at Mas de Carassins in mid-March this year as we have the last two years. The weather has been about the mid 60s with occasional days in the 70s. For us it is much warmer than home and the flowers are starting to bloom (forsythia especially) so it is a preview to spring. I take a raincoat with a zip in lining. Usually I don't need the lining in Provence but I do for the 4 days in Paris. We have made trips from St Remy to the following: Avignon-don't miss the Palais du Pape and the Pont, Arles, Aix (to meet friends, got totally lost going into and out of Aix), the Camargue, Les Baux (pick a day that isn't windy and is fairly clear), to L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue for the Sunday morning market, Gordes, Rousillon and other places. If you are going to be in St Remy on Wednesday morning the market is great.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:40 PM

nmiller1950 -- I'm curious to know what you decided & would like to know how it turns out -- I'm debating the same question for later this year, so hope you post back. Thanks.