Safety of USA tee shirts in Europe?

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Kathleen

Safety of USA tee shirts in Europe?

My 15 year old daughter recently bought a cute tee shirt with "USA" and a flag embroidered on it. Today, she told me she planned to wear it on our trip to Europe (UK and Netherlands) next month. I told her I wasn't sure that was a good idea, thinking of safety. Has anyone any negative experiences wearing clothing with USA logos in Europe?

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 05:14 PM
scout

I once wore a New York Mets t-shirt in England and received a few comments on it...and these people weren't Braves or yankee fans. I think some people perceive or "t-shirts" as propaganda in a way. Although we should be able to wear what we want,times have changed and as hard a lesson it may be for a 15 year old, she may be better off leaving it home. Who knows what wackos are out there. I will be traveling soon and have been advised to keep my passport out of sight unless absolutely necessary.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 05:20 PM
bettyk

When we were in Vienna a couple of years ago, we ended up right in the middle of a protest against the USA for "something" I don't even remember now. These are common occurrences in Europe and it is best not to be wearing a neon sign saying "I am an American". Some people may argue that we should be able to wear what we want, but you do put yourself at risk for some anti-American nut out there if you do.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Leslie

I wouldn't worry about whether it is PC or not if your daughter wears her new t-shirt on vacation. You're going away in March -- she's going to have a jacket or sweater on, so it's not going to be that visible, and even if it is, what is really going to happen? Besides, how many times could she possibly wear it?

Conversely, there are actually t-shirts and sweatshirts that say Paris, London, Sydney, etc. on them. Do the nationals only sell them to Americans? I've seen people in the US wear them.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Bob Brown

A teenager might get away with it, but why run a risk of antagonizing someone?

I will tell a similar incident on myself, one that is going to ask you turn the clock back to 1956 to the post WW II era.
I was 22 years old and touring Europe for the first time. While in Munich I bought myself a green Bavarian hat that I wore with pleasure until Paris.

I was crossing Pont Neuf while wandering around when a huge Frenchman, fully 6 feet 6 inches tall, walked past me, looked at me with anger, virtually spat in my face, and said with great intensity "Boche!!"
I had a beret on my head inside of 20 minutes.
I may have the right to wear what I want to, but I am not sure that exercising that right is always in my best interest. That time I quickly decided it was not!! In fact, in retrospect, it was a little stupid and I am glad I did not end up bathing in the Seine.
I think that one incident taught me more about the feeling of the French toward the Germans than any history book could have ever conveyed.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Capo

Hi Kathleen. When you say you're thinking of safety, are you concerned she's actually going to be physically attacked or abducted because she's wearing this t-shirt? If so, I think the chances of that happening would be VERY small.

If she were to have any negative experience while wearing this, I'd guess it would be more along the lines of perhaps sneers or comments. But I think the chances of a 15 year old girl getting a sneer or negative comment would be far less than the chances of an adult getting one.

But the potential isn't only for negative things; there's a potential positive side as well. She may very find British and Dutch people who smile at her or make nice comments.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 07:10 PM
JMHO

You can BE an American without wearing signs saying you are..that could very well be the way that tee shirt will be viewed.Best to leave it at home.Not so much for safety-but why expose her and yourselves to any anti-American opinions voiced because she is wearing something so "in your face"?

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Ronda

I was in France 2 days after 9/11 (in London on 9/11). I wouldn't let my husband wear a jacket with an American flag on it as I felt it made him a target. There were threats against the American Embassay in Paris if you recall. However, every where we went the French had on sweatshirts with American Flags, baseball caps with NY on them, etc. It was a good feeling to see so much support from the French people for America. He wore the jacket after that.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:30 PM
bettyk

We Americans tend to look at the world thru "red, white and blue glasses". We don't always see ourselves the way the other guy does. Yes, there are many Europeans who really like Americans and there are many who'd just as soon spit in our faces! So why draw attention to yourself. It just isn't worth it IMHO. I'm not saying you have to hide, just not put a spotlight on yourself, that's all.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Sjoerd

Just let her wear the Tshirt. For some strange reason, these kind of Tshirts are quite normal and popular in Europe, too. Many locals wear them. Nobody will think that only Americans wear a shirt with "USA" on it, or that you are a supporter of Mr Bush's actions when you wear such a shirt.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 09:41 PM
chris

Sjoerd is right, American flag designs are quite trendy right now and many many European young people are wearing it at the moment. No one will automatically assume your daughter is American simply because she's wearing her t-shirt.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Nicole

Let your daughter wear her American flag shirt, for God's sake! Most people love wearing them, including foreigners.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:05 AM
PB

I have to agree with Ronda and JMHO... I live in France and quite frankly, I've seen an awful lot of people wearing t-shirts and sweaters with American flags on them.... and they were all Europeans. I wouldn't worry about her wearing her shirt.

PB

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Hiho

I really can't believe that almsot all of youa re saying not to wear the shirt! I'd say, if you are that scared..stay home. I'd say wear it proudly! I'd say, the chances of something happening beacause of wearing it are infinitesmal. I'd say, peple know who is American once they open their mouths.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Marco

As many other posters said, NY basball hats and american flag T-Shirts are quite popular in Europe since at least the fifties. I have myself a T-shirt and even a Skin Jacket with the stars&stripes on it. People won't assume your daughter is american just because she's wearing that t-shirt. And if you feel like it, at least here in Italy, you can even join other people in an anti-american protest if you see one. As I said in another thread, those people make a clear difference btw the american people and their governments. Here in Italy the vast majority love americans, even among those protestors which demonstrations are right now against Bush's foreign politic and nothing else.However don't assume that Italians wearing USA t-shirts do it to support America. I think they rarely are aware of that, they do it more for esthetical & cultural reasons (the british flag is also very popular for the same reasons): the flag is beautifull, the letter USA are cool cause they remind of Harley Davidsons, James Dean, Rock music, Bob Dylan, great movies, great directors, and I could go on for ever, as well as the british flag reminds of Beatles & Rolling Stones. In other words, american foreign's politic is not always apreciated, but the culture is, very much.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 02:37 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Kathleen

Thanks for all your thoughtful comments. I think the comments about how so many Europeans sport American tee shirts and symbols speaks to me the most. In fact, one of my daughter's favorite tee shirts says Paris and has a sparkly Eiffel Tower on it. I think I'll let her take it; wear it if she wants to freeze (like she does here!); and I'll let all of you know how it was received. Stay tuned for more in early April, when we return. And thanks for your thoughts. I really enjoyed reading Bob Brown's account of his experience in Paris in 1956. How the world has changed!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:42 AM
DougD

Just a quick observation. When we were in Paris a few years ago, a lot of the local teens were wearing tee shirts covered with English language slogans. Many of them made no sense at all like 'WORLD TEAM' or 'USA RUN', quite amusing, but they must have thought they were very cool wearing American style tee shirts!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:45 AM
another

I have seen people at the Jersey shore wearing tee shirts that said F**k you, but I still wouldn't wear one nor would I recommend it because I saw someone wearing it.
Use your head! what do you think your own child should wear to Europe these days?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Ann

Oh, for Pete's sake. If you're actually worried about your family's safety because of a t-shirt, just stay at home and let the rest of us enjoy traveling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -