Safety of luggage check in Pompeii?

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety of luggage check in Pompeii?

I know there have been extensive posts on this topic. Thanks for indulging this issue for the zillionth time. How safe is the bag check in Pompeii (at the train station?). Do you give your bags to someone behind a counter and get a bag tag or are they just randomly stored in an area where anyone can get access?
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 10:45 AM

We got a receipt of sorts, a ticket on which the guy wrote "4" (the number of bags we left there). Not as formal as in some places, sort of between the two situations you describe. The bags were kept behind the newsstand; it may be possible for anyone to walk back there, but it is a narrow passageway and the guys seemed to keep a pretty close eye on things. This was at midday on a weekday in late March and there seemed to be bags from 6-8 people, all jammed in a tiny space. I used my cable lock to link our bags together (and of course our passports, tickets, and cash were safe in under-the clothing pouches).
My guess is that the bag-check faciliites at Pompeii Scavi may be more structured, but I have no experience with it (you would be toting your bags about three city blocks from the station to the Scavi entrance plaza).
Go with your gut feeling when you arrive -- if it looks dodgy to you at the station, just trek on toward the Scavi entrance.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:19 PM

I agree with the poster above that it does look a little "loose". But we used it in summer 2000 and everything was there when we returned.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:09 PM
MD

Hey! We used the Naples left luggage storage; we put the laptop inside one of the rgular suitcases, and locked it. SImple precautions. Never had a problem...

Why would you take it to Pompeii? Odds are you're returning to Naples if you're taking the train. Pompeii closes at sundown.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:24 PM

I agree with the poster above that it does look a little "loose". But we used it in summer 2000 and everything was there when we returned.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:27 AM

ttt