Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Safety of early morning walk to Termini in Rome

Oct 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

My mom and I will be staying at the St. Elisabetta convent in Rome and twice we will need to head to the main train station before sunrise, around 6 am (once for a trip to Florence and the second time for heading back to the airport). It's not a far walk, but at that hour do you think it would be advisable for safety reasons to take a cab?
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I think you'd be perfectly safe. But when you're heading to the airport, do you really want to walk a half mile carrying/pulling your luggage?
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Depends on how many blocks and which side of the Termini.Personally,by the time you add in two tickets on the Leonardo Express to FCO you could take a cab or shuttle which would be faster and easier.
If the station is close, then I would walk to the station for the Florence trip BUT definitely take the shuttle back to the airport.I don't think that Termini is any worst than any other train station in Europe-just watch your luggage and purses.
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:11 PM

what time of day, Aggie?

if it's dark & wet, you might like a cab! they shouldn't be too mcuh for such a short distance.
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM

If you don't mind walking, walk. Central Rome is not dangerous. The risk of violence - mugging - is almost nil at any hour of the day or night. The risk of pickpocketing, on the other hand, is high, but chiefly in crowded, touristy areas. Most pickpockets are likely to still be in bed at 6 am.

That said, it is always wise to be cautious and alert.
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
MKE

Why worry about it? I agree with Jean that it would be safe, but with luggage, unpredictable weather, etc. a taxi would be preferable to walking. Just make sure you have the convent call a reputable taxi the night before and get an idea of the cost. At the station, keep up your guard against pickpockets, although likely they will be still asleep that early in the morning.
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM

I have done the same excursion with my daughter and we took the train from the airport to the hotel that was in walking distance from Termini. It will cost 22E for both of you one way. IT was mid morning and felt safe. AS for taking it back to airport early in AM -- I think you should spring for a few euros more an arrange for the Rome Shuttle to pick you up. It cost 35 E for both of you and will come at any hour with no extra charge.
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/FiumicinoE.htm

AS for Florence my daughter and I took the Eurostar for a day trip. We went early enough to take a 9Am train. We did see all the "gypsy" kids ( fake doll in baby cariers and kids with cardboards etc.....see scams ) sitting in the outer streets but we crosed the street when we saw them. Be aware of your surrounding and don't wear a belly pouch to call attention to yourself. It will cost about 40E round trip 2nd class and 56E round trip for 1st class for each of you to go to Florence. If you are watching your money I would agree with the people who say walk to station for the trip to FLorence but arrange for a ride early in AM for airport.
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Rome is a very safe city. While the area around Termini may not "look" good to some folks, it is fine...day or night. The only people that will be up at 6am are the trash collectors and delivery drivers and tourists trying to get to the airport.

If I remember correctly, the convent is down by Mary Maggiore. IF it is, then you might be better off walking down to the Cavour metro station and take the metro to Termini. Distance is about the same, but it is downhill to Cavour.
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM

I agree with Dave. Walk downhill to the subway entrance at Cavour. I think that will be less distance and downhill will be easier. You will have to go down a flight of steps from Cavour to the subway entrance on via Leonina. I've done the trek alone at 6am from via Madonna dei Monti which is just off via Serpenti and Cavour, closer to the forum. Via Leonina is a narrow lane without much traffic (more walkway than road). The subway wasn't crowded like I expected on an early Monday morning. Cavour is one stop to Termini, grab some coffee and catch the Leonardo.
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM

FYI - If you take the Cavour subway, the entrance on the side of Cavour that your convent is on heads away from Termini. You need to cross Cavour and go down the steps for the entrance in the direction of Termini (junction of via Leonina and via Urbana). You can not cross between the two underground.
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the feedback! Suz123nj, how long ago did you take your daytrip to Florence? Trenitalia shows the second class fare on Eurostar as 40 E each way, so 80 E per person round trip.