Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Safety in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/safety-in-rome-1476136/)

DarcieM Sep 24th, 2017 03:56 PM

Safety in Rome

Is it safe for 2 women, myself and my 17 year old granddaughter, to walk between the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps in the evening after dark?

marvelousmouse Sep 24th, 2017 03:58 PM

Sure. Romans eat late; plenty of people out and about. The monuments and fountains after dark are a highlight. You may feel more carefree wearing money belts.

Pepper_von_snoot Sep 24th, 2017 04:52 PM

The Spanish Steps are in one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Rome. Gucci, Prada, Ferragamo on the famous Via Condotti.

Do be careful of Roma women running a petition scam. They will approach you and ask you to sign a petition, then ask for a donation. They speak English. Be wary of anyone approaching you speaking English. You are in Italy. Why would anyone assume you speak English?

"Where are you from?" Run away if anyone says this to you.

Thin

HappyTrvlr Sep 24th, 2017 06:06 PM

Yes, you'll be safe. Armed miliitary guards are at the monuments.

4sammy234 Sep 24th, 2017 06:09 PM

I would caution your granddaughter to be very alert and y'all stay together especially at night, and you will be fine. Busy, touristy areas are good for that one reason ;) Just like in any city, keep your belongings close to you and keep your guard up at all times.

About her age... be sure she stays with you. She is old enough to want some independence but be smart about it. I traveled to Rome alone when I was 19 and had some scary moments.

greg Sep 24th, 2017 06:29 PM

>>> evening after dark

This is a subjective statement. What hours are you referring to?

The area especially pretty in the evening is not on your list: Piazza Navona.

bilboburgler Sep 24th, 2017 10:02 PM

An element of racial profiling going on above, but generally there are whole bunch of scams used throughout large cities that you should be aware of. However none are specific to afterdark or those areas.

Italians eat late, very late, and kids are often out with their parents. My NZ niece came to Rome a few years back and her teachers gave her a bunch of instructions. Their biggest fear was what happens on buses/trains/trams. Wandering Hands and pickpockets were their main concern. Vigilence, a loud voice and a sharp heel are best solutions to such problems.

massimop Sep 24th, 2017 11:13 PM

You'll be fine1 Whether it is daytime or daylight in Rome, don't carry dangly purses with thin straps over your shoulders. You'll be quite safe.

massimop Sep 24th, 2017 11:14 PM

oops -- nighttime or dalight

dweislaw Sep 25th, 2017 02:43 AM

Just returned from 5 days in Rome and we were out and about in the areas you mentioned with absolutely no problems. Trevi is very popular at night and while the Pantheon isn't open late, the square and streets around it are quite lively. Follow the basic advice given by the other posters and all will be fne. Rome at night is a ton of fun - folks out eating and walking and socializing, etc. It was one of the things we most enjoyed about our time there.

DarcieM Sep 25th, 2017 05:24 AM

All sounds wonderful! Thanks to all for such sound advice.