Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   safety in paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/safety-in-paris-884832/)

waterton888 Apr 1st, 2011 06:19 PM

safety in paris

Hello

Which areas in Paris tourists should avoid at night - I was in NY for 2 weeks last year and I found NY to be a safe place and I am wondering how safe is Paris and any suggestions would be appreciated- thank you

adrienne Apr 1st, 2011 07:17 PM

I've found the central area of Paris to be fine, even walking around alone at night. I would avoid the large metro stations with miles of tunnels. Where are you staying?

BTW - you have 2 threads exactly the same! Don't forget to check them both.

AnthonyGA Apr 2nd, 2011 01:40 AM

All the areas that attract tourists are safe. The main risks are pickpockets and con artists.

One of the most common crimes right now is theft of smartphones like the iPhone, especially in the subway. Thieves will occasionally pull the phone right out of its owner's hand. There are signs in the Métro that warn smartphone users to be discreet in their use of phones in the subway, because of the high value placed on these phones by thieves.

PatrickLondon Apr 2nd, 2011 01:50 AM

I would always be extra alert around places that attract chancers and dodgy characters in any big city: around major railway stations and anywhere overtly aiming at the sex market. You may also find scammers trying the three-card trick or find the lady, or the gold ring scam (on which there are many threads here), or just too many and too persistent street hawkers around the Eiffel Tower.

But it's a case of keeping your wits about you, your valuables hidden rather than on full display (no wallets in back pockets or backpack pockets left half open), and walking like you know where you're going and what's what.

waterton888 Apr 2nd, 2011 06:06 AM

Hello

thank you for the useful information. I will probably stay near Anvers station or Gard du Nord area.

denisea Apr 2nd, 2011 11:31 AM

I have had no problems in Paris at all. Use good judgment no matter where in the world you are. At the tourist sites when you are approached by the scammers and pickpocket type, a firm no and direct eye contact will let them know you aren't their easiest target and they will move on. Don't be afraid of being rude in those situations.

bachslunch Apr 3rd, 2011 04:01 PM

Not too many places tourists go are likely to be unsafe in Paris. If you go to Pigalle (the red-light area), it's wise to keep your wits about you. Also, avoid the Bois de Boulogne at night.

jodester Apr 4th, 2011 07:16 AM

I was shopping with my college-age daughter prior to her 4 months in Paris. While drilling her on staying safe, I saw a group of European travelers walking through the mall, pulling out their money pouches. I thought I'd never stop giggling about Czech people protecting themselves from theives at a mall in Iowa. It made me reconsider my fears. Safety concerns are the same in Paris as at school in Chicago; common sense rules.