Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Safety in Luxembourg Train Station (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/safety-in-luxembourg-train-station-1125130/)

danie3606 Aug 16th, 2016 04:34 PM

Safety in Luxembourg Train Station

Hi there, my friend and I (we both female) will be travelling from Amsterdam to Luxembourg City this October. However, our bus will arrive at Luxembourg at 2am. Is it safe especially for female to be around the station at that time? We will sit/hang around in the station until sunrise.

thanks in advance

Michael Aug 16th, 2016 04:42 PM

I suspect that it is safe. For one thing, the 24 hour police stations in cities are often located in the train stations. For another, Luxembourg has the highest GDP in the world, suggesting that low-lifes are perhaps a relatively rare breed.

Christina Aug 17th, 2016 12:22 PM

I'm surprised you can find a bus that arrives at 2 am. This is from the US state dept report for employees:

<<There are no areas of Luxembourg that are considered “off limits” for U.S. government personnel. The neighborhood surrounding the main train station, referred to locally as the “Quartier Gare,” does have a slightly higher crime rate than the rest of the city. While the train station itself is considered safe, travelling the side streets that intersect the area, particularly at night, can expose individuals to a greater risk for becoming a victim of crime. Most of the adult entertainment clubs in Luxembourg are found in this area, and open prostitution and narcotics trafficking occurs on a small scale. While police maintain a continuous presence and work diligently to enforce the law, when contrasted with the level of safety found in the rest of the city, the Quartier Gare is an area of concern.>>

Are you sure you are going to be in the train station? I read it doesn't open until 6 am, not that it is open all night. The bus stop lanes are outside the gare, next to it. SO you plan to hang around a train station outside on the sidewalk?

greg Aug 17th, 2016 12:33 PM

It's the flixbus, www.flixbus.com
19:30-02:15 Amsterdam Sloterdijk - Luxembourg Central

StCirq Aug 17th, 2016 12:40 PM

It's probably safe enough, but I sure wouldn't do this. Why wouldn't you take a train? At a normal hour.

spaarne Aug 17th, 2016 01:13 PM

<i>StCirq on Aug 17, 16 at 4:40pm
It's probably safe enough, but I sure wouldn't do this. Why wouldn't you take a train? At a normal hour.</i>

Ditto. You are never going to forget that bus ride. And when you get there, not only will the station be closed but the whole city will be snoring. Maybe you can find a night club open til dawn.

Cowboy1968 Aug 17th, 2016 01:27 PM

According to Google's wisdom, the station's restaurant will open at 4.30am
But you'd still have 2.5hrs to "hang" at the station - and it can get pretty chilly at night in October.
So I'd rather worry about catching pneumonia from sitting outdoors for several hours than about safety.
Any cheap hotel will be better, IMO, if you can't travel at a more convenient time.

michelhuebeli Aug 17th, 2016 01:42 PM

Can't beat the price of flixbus at around 20 Euros. But since you're asking, that means you're the worrying kind (your mother would say "the reasonable kind") and therefore you should look to an alternative. Also for reasons like being able to make the most of the next day instead of dragging half-zombied out.

For around 70 Euros (I know, I know, a huge diff...) you can take a train like the 15:17, one transfer later (Brussels Midi=South) and you are in Lux. by 20:53

chartley Aug 17th, 2016 01:56 PM

We stayed in Luxembourg a few weeks ago, and our hotel was opposite the main railway station. We certainly saw a number of groups of men who were possibly homeless and were certainly sitting together drinking from cans of alcohol, etc during daylight hours. While they may not have made the area unsafe, they would not be comfortable companions in the middle of the night.

PalenQ Aug 17th, 2016 02:23 PM

Maybe you can find a night club open til dawn.>

No doubt- this is a great suggestion! And there should be some as in every sizable European city. Things start late in Europe - especially if it's a weekend.

nukesafe Aug 17th, 2016 03:00 PM

Great idea; the girls go to a nightclub where they can spend a lot of money on drinks. The alternative would be to let the "gentlemen" at the club pay for the drinks. Great idea for someone concerned with safety. NOT!

PalenQ Aug 17th, 2016 03:06 PM

Yeh I was just thinking the cost of a mandatory drink at many clubs would be more than the bus ride. But a night spot for their ages would be perfectly safe if anyone has their senses about them. No good solution there- sitting outside with the louts may not be the best idea either.

Loacker Aug 17th, 2016 03:11 PM

I always imagined Luxembourg as a sleepy and sterile place for the filthy rich. I'm surprised to know it has homeless people.

isabel Aug 17th, 2016 03:24 PM

Where are you going the next day? Are you staying in Luxembourg City for a couple of days? Or are you catching a train to somewhere else that morning? Knowing that would make a difference. I stayed at a hotel directly across the street from the train station a few years ago and agree with the others, the area felt perfectly safe during normal day/evening hours but 'hanging out' outside it for several hours in the middle of the night doesn't sound like a good idea. What would you do if it was pouring rain?

PalenQ Aug 18th, 2016 11:52 AM

I always imagined Luxembourg as a sleepy and sterile place for the filthy rich. I'm surprised to know it has homeless people.>

An older (old enough to know better) friend of mine was in Luxembourg last fall and wanted to take an early morning train and thought he would sleep in the station - but it was closed when he got there or they kicked him out I forget but he met a group of 'hip' young folk who said they were homeless.

They said he could join them- they were sleeping under some bridge and said he would stay there -he had warm cloths.

But shortly after arriving they all started acting weirdly - they said they had taken acid - so weird he soon left.

Yes Luxembourg has homeless like many affluent places in the world do,.

barrydb Nov 5th, 2017 11:48 AM

It might be a bit late to add to this review. However I have been travelling to Luxembourg for many years and have to say that the area around the station has got decidedly worse. Numerous "hoodies", all shuffling suspiciously around and/or begging, not to mention anumber of "care in the community" characters who shouldn't be around at all.

I would certainly be cautious after dark whether you are male or female.

rs899 Nov 5th, 2017 11:57 AM

Gee, the OP never reported back or was ever heard from again in Fodorville. Hate it when that happens...

PalenQ Nov 5th, 2017 12:49 PM

Gee, the OP never reported back or was ever heard from again in Fodorville. Hate it when that happens...>

maybe got off at Luxembourg Gare 2 am and never heard of again?