Safety during long layover - Münster

Old Oct 1st, 2021, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety during long layover - Münster

Hi, I am a young woman travelling alone. I have a 5 hour layover at Münster train station, from after midnight to 5am. Will it be safe to stay in the station? Are there chairs or benches to rest on? I assume restaurants will be closed at that time, but will bathrooms be open?
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 04:45 PM

I doubt you will find many here who have that sort of information about Münster. While I have been to Münster myself (and it is a smaller city, very beautiful and not at all what I would think of as unsafe), I don't know what happens at the train station after midnight. I would certainly not want to leave you exposed to danger, but most likely there will be few people around and that is what would make it dangerous. There are seats at all train stations in Germany but I don't know what happens with public toilets.

I don't know if money is an issue for you but I would certainly contact one of the nearby hotels and ask if they have a rate for part of the night. Explain your situation and they might come up with an offer. The opportunity to relax, grab a shower and not have to be vigilant about your luggage all the time would have to be a good thing. That is what I would do, but I am an older female and the money spent would be worth it to me. I have caught night trains across Germany alone before, had to change trains in the wee hours and train stations at night are universally freaky.

You could also try asking this question over on TripAdvisor. There are people over there with very fine-grained information about some of the minor cities and maybe you will snag someone who knows Münster well or can talk more about stations after midnight

Lavandula

Old Oct 1st, 2021, 05:04 PM

Oh, I might add, many hotels lock their doors after midnight, so make that conversation with the hotels in advance. If they know you are arriving after midnight there will be a night porter or someone expecting you. Otherwise you might not get in!

Lavandula
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 05:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I looked to see if there was any info, same post on RS and she changed her train ticket. Smart move. I don't like many train stations during the day let alone night alone.
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 06:00 PM

Thanks Macross, smart thinking on the part of the OP.

Lavandula
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response. Working as an au pair, I am on a very tight budget. I booked through Trainline, chose the cheapest ticket between the Netherlands and Berlin, and did not check the details! A mistake I will not make again... I have now bought a new ticket, with no long stops at stations at odd hours of the night. I could not get a refund for the first ticket, and the second is much more expensive, but this is a lesson well learned. I will still enjoy my trip to Germany, with less spending money, but a saver journey.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 01:25 PM

Oh Kietsie! I am sorry to hear you couldn't get a refund, but I am so glad you won't be in Münster waiting for the next train! (Even if, as I am sure, Münster is a safe place, because you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.) But enjoy Berlin, won't you!

Lavandula
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 04:32 AM

What a shame you won't get to visit Muenster during the day. It's one of our favorite towns in Germany. We lived not far from there for six months and visited the city and the surrounding countryside several times. Also has one of our favorite Christmas markets.