Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SAFETY concern: 1 female w/ 1 backpack+ 2 suitcases at gare du nord.....

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm kind of concerned about my safety in France during my train ride from Paris to Compiegne at Gare Du Nord. Here is the reason why:

I'm a female in my early 20's and I'm petite. I will be carrying 2 big/heavy suitcases and 1 backpack (which will contain my wallet + documents), while struggling to find out where I can buy my ticket and where to board my train. Many people are telling me not to put my wallet in my backpack, but I simply cannot handle a purse + backpack+ 2 suitcases. Other than the money belt option, is there anything else I can do? I'm so afraid that with my overwhelming luggage, I'll be an easy target for pickpockets. However, I have no choice but to bring so much because I will be staying in France for four months.

After reading all the horror stories about pickpocketing in Paris (especially in Gare Du Nord), do you guys have any tips for me (regarding safety?)

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Pack lighter?
Mail some stuff ahead if you absolutely have to have it?
Have an ID, copy of passport, a credit card and some euros in your jeans pockets - just in case a pickpocket gets into your backpack.

Are you SURE you have to pack so much that you are "overwhelmed"?
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Hi roundbunny,

When I was in France and had a big travel day I always wore a purse over my head/across my body in addition to my backpack - I would not keep it in your backpack as your friends mention. You'll have to take your pack off whenever you need something....that is a vulnerable time.

When both my hands were full (souvenir bags etc) I would lock the individual zippered pocket on my purse with those little golden key locks you can by at any camping store. In addition my backpack had a sturdy steal lock and again little locks on the zippered compartments. I kept a color coded copy of all keys in my front breast pocket - I was pretty sure I'd notice someone trying to get in there (I always wore my coat on travel days - it had a zippered front pocket).
I kept a spare set of keys in another difficult to access bag pocket.

Aside from that I just stayed aware and never felt unsafe. Just make sure your bags are not so heavy that you can't manage - that will make you stick out for sure.

Cheers,

Murphy

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Oh - be sure to put your purse on then your backpack - that will secure everything in place.

Good Travels,

Murphy
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM

My wife and I traveled for two months in Europe with one 22" suitcase and one smaller carry-on (the carry-on held our extra pair of shoes and the two toiletry cases which are unfortunately necessary at our age). You should be able to reduce your luggage.

Rather than a money belt, you might want to get a pouch. I have one from Eagle Creek which just holds my International Driver's license (in terms of actual size), hold two passports vertically (my wife was pickpocketed in Barcelona, and ever since I conitnue to hold the passports), my wallet, a Laguiole for picnics, my address book and a pen. It is looped into my belt and the passports are simply not accessible by pickpockets because their zippered area is over the pouch's loop, close to the belt. I have not been pickpocketed and feel secure with this pouch.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great tips.

Regarding the issue of reducing luggage, does anyone have any tips? I don't know how I can do it because I will be staying from August-December (august is supposed to be so hot and december will be cold), so I am bringing a summer+winter wardrobe. I will also be bringing bedsheets (my school residence does not include them) and my laptop. So I guess all of these things combined will be what makes my luggage heavy/bulky.... (I'm kind of hesitant about buying bedding in Compiegne because I am not sure how easy it would be to find, plus the prices may not be reasonable).

I was also planning on bringing a sleeping bag because I'd like to travel around (and my friends told me that it's convenient to have one when i go to a hostel).

If anyone has any comments regarding the contents of my luggage (how to reduce it), I'd really appreciate it
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM

I'd buy sheets there. I don't know if you've read any of the "French bed" threads, but the bed sizes vary from US standards. I'd definitely buy sheets over there.

I'd probably by a sleeping bag over there - or borrow one from someone at school after you get there when you go on weekend jaunts.

Perhaps you can pack lighter on your wardrobes. Maybe take the basics and buy some things over there. H&M is a great store for trendy, inexpensive clothes.

Have a box packed and ready at "home" and if you really, really need the stuff you didn't bring, have someone from home mail it to you. I bet you won't need it all.

Folks really do travel for a month with just a wheeled carryon. You don't need as much as you think you do. My niece studied abroad for two semesters (UK and France) and just took the basics and bought fashionable add-ons for the particular locations/schools.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:40 PM
baybee510

roadbunny,

I agree with the starrsville.
Work really really hard at reducing the luggage. I am petite myself (5'3'' 102 pounds) and I cannot imagine navigating a train system in a foriegn country with 2 big heavy suitcases and a backpack.

I went away to college with one messenger bag and one suitcase. My school did not provide any sheets so I just bought bedding when I got there. Since you are going there for school (summer abroad?) I would contact the administrator there or at your home school in charge of the summer abroad program and ask about stores in the area that will sell bedding. Even if you're not doing summer abroad I'm sure you have some contact info for people from the school. This will reduce your luggage greatly. I can't imagine that bedding in Compiegne would be so expensive that it would be worth lugging your bedding from home.

As for the sleeping bag, you'll be surrounded by fellow students. I'm sure you'll be able to borrow one, or just buy one there.

Trust me you really do not need that much luggage. I have a closet full of clothes and shoes - I end up wearing only a tiny portion of them consistently.

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Hi roundbunny, I have more than once been in Italy for two months with a 27inch suitcase and a small carryon. I would have had nothing larger than a 24 inch if I had been travelling by train.

Regarding clothes, I do understand about going from hot weather to cold weather..that has happened to me often. But layering clothes does help. The lightweight shirt can go under the sweater as it gets cooler and the jacket or coat can go over that when it gets even colder.

If you have enough clothes for one week or ten days (wardrobe wise) you have enough for a year..yes you might get so sick and tired of the clothes but it sure beats dragging two big/heavy suitcases plus a backpack on the train. Please don't even think about doing that.

I agree with others..buy your bed linens once in France, European beds are different size wise from our beds in the US where I assume you are from.

You have received some great thoughts here, from Murphy, from starrsville etc. Best wishes to you roundbunny.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM

And, you are just an hour from Paris. Pack the basics and then jump on the train on the weekends to sight-see and to pick up a few new things. Be sure to check out H&M for great, inexpensive, trendy options.

baybee is right about only actually wearing a small % of one's clothes. I didn't really think about it until now, but said niece moved in after one study abroad (even though "home" was just a few miles away). Lots of clothes still hanging in her old closet, but she had learned to dress very smartly / sharply with a very few pieces she kept in her closet at my house (Yes, it is hard to move back home as an "adult" after living on your own - especially abroad. This was a good solution for niece, the parents and me!)
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Hi Roundbunny,

Listen to Murphey and put your money, etc. in a purse under your coat and backpack straps. Use locks on all your luggage. You'll be fine. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't leave your luggage unattended.

I'm petite and have traveled through Gare Du Nord loaded down for business with large suitcases containing projectors, computer servers, etc. It was a pain, but I had to do it and it worked out OK.

If you're traveling through Gare Du Nord to school (not schlepping around Europe with two suitcases and a backpack), I'd bring what you have planned. Its not like someone is going to come up and wrestle a suitcase away from you in a crowded train station and run away with it. I advocate packing light, but being a student with probably not alot of extra cash, I'd try not to buy essentials like sheets, sweaters, etc. in France. The price of linens, etc. are much higher than in the US. And, the exchange rate doesn't help any.

Just make sure if you're in line for tickets, etc. to keep you're bags in front of you, and definitely keep your money close to your body.

Good luck - C
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM

A couple of times I've ended up wearing my backpack on my front when it's small enough, I'm in crowded spaces, and my hands are full with other luggage or kids. Won't work with a big pack, but a daypack should be just fine.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM

Hi,
When I was student I went away twice for extended periods to live abroad (in France and Spain).

The first time I went for 6 months (Jan-June, so winter-summer) and took with me everything but the kitchen sink. Seriously, I had two enormous suitcases which weighed in at about 50 kg combined (and for which I had to fork out a lot of cash for excess baggage charges). I could barely carry them and found myself struggling at airports/train stations. It was quite ridiculous as I didn't even use/wear half the stuff I'd brought.

The second time, I went for 9 months (October to June) and took 1 large (70l) backpack and a small bag. It made my life so much easier! And I managed to fit in 1 set of sheets and pillowcases, dictionaries, a walkman (pre-ipod days!)and tapes, and clothes for the whole time I was there. I had a great all-weather coat with an unzippable lining which saved a lot of space. And then just took tank tops, short/long-sleeved tees and cardigans that I could layer plus a couple of warm sweaters. The biggest space hogger is shoes so be ruthless!

Lastly, don't fret too much about the Gare du Nord. I've travelled to/from there on plenty of occasions on my own. Just be aware of what's going on around you and you'll be fine
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Don't put your passport, CCs & the like in your pack unless you want to spend a lot of time with the local police & embassy.

Buy a small shoulder bag (like the girlies carry) that you sling over one shoulder & under the other arm & have it to your front.

Doing that will ensure that you'll have that when everything else is stolen which seems to me the most likely event.

Here's an idea, bring your summer stuff THEN when you are settled in have the rest shipped to you - or NEWSFLASH - Europe now has SHOPS.

OH BTW ditch the sleeping bag, you WON'T be able to use it in hostels as hostels don't allow their use. Anywhere that does allow it shouldn't be touched with a bargepole
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

thanks again to everyone for the great tips!! i'm new to this forum so i'm super impressed by the quick replies!

yes, i will definitely be more selective with my luggage.... it will be a painful process but i will eliminate a lot of my clothing items!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM

The neighborhood around the Gare du Nord is somewhat seedy at night, but not necessarily dangerous. The station itself is quite safe (apart from the aforementioned risk of pickpockets).
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:26 PM

Some thoughts:

1. Buy your train ticket ahead of time. That will eliminate waiting in line and trying to keep an eye on your stuff and having to hand over cash or credit cards. You can usually buy tickets on line and print you own ticket or have the , go to http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/...mepageUK&WB=HP. You can also buy it through Raileurope although you will a bit more, but perhaps it is worth it to take one little worry away and save a bit of time at the station, esp if you are coming right from the airport to the train station; go to http://www.raileurope.com. If you will be in Paris for a few days first, then you can buy the ticket ahead of time at any Paris train station.

2. I agree that you should get a small over-the-shoulder purse or purse/wallet to hold credit cards, passport port and cash and it should be worn in front of you. You will probably want to travel with this anyway rather than a big backpack for daytrips.

3. I am a petite woman who travels a lot by herself on trains in Europe and NEVER packs lightly. (Packing lightly is a "skill" admired only by those who possess it, not by those who have to travel with someone wearing the same shirt for a month....) I generally use two large duffle bags and a small rolling suitcase. The duffle bags hold a tremendous amount of stuff, and one can be carried on a shoulder which frees up both hands, both can be thrown onto and off trains and stuffed into overhead luggage compartments. That makes getting on and off the train very easy as you don't have to struggle up and down steps with big suitcases. You can buy locks to lock them, and they look so unpretentious that no one is interested in their contents (esp if you have or borrow someone's old ones from summer camp that are all beat up). Put shoes and toiletries in the rolling suitcase, that makes the duffels even lighter and nothing gets broken when you throw 'em from the train onto the station platform.

4. For sheets, if you want them for traveling and hostels, get a sleep sheet which is like a sheet sewn up like a sleeping bag. I haven't stayed in a hostel in a long time, but many places used to require them. I think you can usually get blankets in hostles but its the sheets that are the issue. They don't take up a lot of room when packing, and I think would also be good for night trains. Take a look at Travelsmith or Magellens or other travel clothing companies. Not sure you would want to use them every day.

5. For bedsheets for your residence, while I agree you may up paying a bit more in France, I assume you don't know yet the exact size of the bed and you may find that your sheets you brought from home may not fit. You should be able to find a reasonably priced pair in town near you, you can ask other students when you get there I would think. (As you will be about a half hour from Paris by train, you could go into Paris and buy them if nothing else.) If the school has given you the exact measurements of the bed, then you may be able to get sheets in the US that will fit. They don't take up that much room in a suitcase. I assume the residence is providing blankets and pillows.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:38 PM

I'll add my support to the advice you've already received about paring down your luggage and stashing your valuables in either a purse pinned under your pack or a money pouch worn around your neck (which I would recommend).

I moved to the UK for a year a few years ago and managed to move over with one very large duffle bag and a backpack (plus some stuff I accumulated later - more on this below). I can understand that you'll want clothes to manage the transition from late summer to early winter, but I suspect you won't need as much as you think.

As others have said, plan to layer clothes. You won't need a winter coat. Bring a fall weight jacket, plus a lightweight neutral-coloured polar fleece zip jacket to wear under it. Compiegne is a litte north of Paris, I see. Nevertheless, it probably won't get really cold before January. I managed in Paris and London with the combination described above. You can always add a scarf (get them in France - you'll look oh-so-French) and lightweight polar fleece gloves.

Don't take all of your shoes. Be selective and plan to take the most versatile and comfortable pairs you own. Don't pack for all eventualities, only for the activities and environments you're sure you'll experience. (For example, if you're not a hiker/camper, don't pack hiking boots "just in case". Pack sturdy walking shoes that can be used for city sightseeing and every day wear instead. Or, if you are a committed hiker/camper and almost never dress up, then by all means bring your hiking shoes but skip the formal gown that you think you might need for an end-of-term party.)

As for sheets - yes, you'll be able to get some inexpensive ones here. A better alternative - addressing both the sheets and sleeping bag issue - is to get a silk or cotton sleep sack. (These slip inside sheets or go underneath blankets.) The silk ones pack down to almost nothing, weigh very little and feel quite luxurious. Then, you'll be able to borrow a sleeping bag but slip your sleepsack inside and feel like you're sleeping in your own sheets.

A large duffel with a handle at one end and wheels or something similar at the other end to make it easier to drag might be a better option than one or more suitcases.

Is anyone planning to visit you while you're in France? If so, you could ask them to bring an extra bag for you. Shortly after I arrived in London, a friend was passing through - so she brought a medium-sized suitcase in which I had packed some of my cold weather clothes. My parents came to visit toward the end of my stay in London, and I gave them a suitcase full of cold weather clothes to take home with them.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:57 AM

I think previous posters gave adequate tips but here are a few of my additional ones...

1. Agree a pouch is a better idea than money belt. Also, you might want to carry money separately--small amounts for tickets etc in easier to access pockets, eg your jeans or jacket, remainder stashed in a safer place. Never carry valuables in a backpack.

2. It won't be easy coping solely with the layering strategy. Is it possible to leave your winter clothes in a box, and have your family/friends ship them once you're settled? You'll only need summer clothes (not too many, as the weather is cooling down slightly though you never know). Assume you won't get the surface mail package for mont or so, you might want to take something for autumn, light jackets etc but not heavy winter stuff.

3. I won't recommend taking the sleeping bag. As for the linens, if you're concerned take 1 pair just to be safe. You can procure locally or look for second-hand from the leaving students.

4. Make sure you can handle all the luggages--you'll need to go through ticket booths, up/down stairs etc etc.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:42 AM

Whehter layering or not will work for warmth depends on the temperatures to which you are accustomed. I'm from Toronto, so I found that winter in London and Paris to be relatively balmy in the range of -3 to +5C (versus -20 to +3C in Toronto). Therefore, I never needed more than a heavy leather jacket plus a sweater or fleece jacket in London, or my fall wool jacket plus sweater in Paris. But if you are used to much warmer temperatures, you might find December in France to be very cold. If you were planning to be in northern France in January or February, I definitely would agree with W9London that you need a winter coat, but if you're only going to be here through December, you might be able to get by with a warm fall jacket plus fleece/sweater. I also think that, if you're pressed for space, you'll get more use out of a versatile combination of layers - e.g. a wet weather lightweight jacket (like a running shell), a warmer wool or leather jacket, a fleece jacket, a few wool sweaters and a vest (i.e. North American vest - which goes on over your shirt, not UK-style vest which is an undershirt). It's difficult to predict how cold or hot environments like your accommodation, classrooms and other places will be. Your classroom could be overheated and boiling hot - or incredibly cold. Hence the layers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -