Reload this Page >

Safest way to get to Hampton Court on a Monday Morning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Gerry

Could someone help me get to Hampton Court on a Monday morning to meet with a guided tour and return safely before dark. I fly into Heathrow very early . Is it faster and cheaper to take a cab straight there? Do they have storage facilities.<BR>Thank you

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:30 PM
kathy

I cannot believe you asked this question regarding safety. Are you afraid of the Hampton Court ghosts. However in answer to your question, I wouldn't rush as it doesn't open until 10.15am. The train goes from Waterloo station so maybe connect from Heathrow to Waterloo. Takes 32 minutes and a 2 minute walk to the palace.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Jeff

Hi Gerry,<BR><BR> You can take to train to the very end. I forget what the last stop is named. There is a bus you can get from there. It is very safe and fun to ride around the small town on the way to Hampton Court. Hampton Court is wonderful; I have been there several times and keep going back.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Gerry

Thanks for the replies.<BR>Any idea of the times of guided tours or is it a self guided tour. Do they have a web site ?<BR>Kathy it was great knowing it was only a 2 minute walk Thanks again<BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:21 PM
kathy

Just put up Hamptoncourt and it will come up with some stuff, or the visitbritain site should also. I see it's costing 11 pound so it's gone up a lot since i was there. Do the tour as they all dress up in appropriate costume, make sure you see the awesome kitchens and pantries. the whole area around there is very pleasant and a more expensive part of London as it's on the Thames. I can remember seeing a nice pub across the road. I imagine the tours go regularly , just hang around for the next one when you arrive. A taxi would cost a fortune.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Christina

I was just there last week and really enjoyed it very much. I wish I had had more time to spend there, actually. They have a very good audio guide which covers all the areas you can see and their own literature has very good recommendations of how to spend your time, if it's limited. Here is their web site with most of those details:<BR><BR>http://www.hrp.org.uk/webcode/hampton_home.asp<BR><BR>I took the ferry from London up the Thames (wish I had not, it took a long time and I'd rather had that time at the palace) and the train back to London. I'm not sure what station Jeff above is referring to as the station is named "Hampton Court" and is only a few minutes down the street from the palace (the train coming from Waterloo in London).

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Tammy

I believe Jeff is referring to the District tube line that takes you to Richmond, which is the last stop. From Richmond, take the R68 bus, I think it's 70 pence one way directly to the front gate of Hampton Court Palace. The bus ride is about 20 minutes and it is an enjoyable ride through the town. The ride in the morning was a lot quicker than the ride in the afternoon. <BR><BR>The costume guided tours are included in the admission price, but you do have to reserve a spot. When you arrive go pick up your headset for the audio tour and sign up for the guided tour. I took the one of William's private apartments. <BR><BR>Make sure and spend some time in the gardens. <BR><BR>Tammy

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Gerry

Thankyou for the web site and addional info.<BR>Any one done the tour with london walks?<BR>