Safest Way to Book an Apartment Online When Reservation Form Isn't Secure

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of booking an apartment in Florence. When I sent an inquiry on their reservation form, I noticed that it was not a secure form, so I am hesitant about sending my credit card information on it, especially since we recently had our credit numbers stolen and had to go through the hassle of getting that fixed. Should I be concerned about this? Would it be safer to call and give the information over the phone? I have not seen this particular place listed on other booking sites so I need to deal directly with the apartment owners. I do not know whether they are fluent in English and I do not speak italian.

Thanks as always for your help!
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are worried - phone them . . .
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Most places I dealt with insisted in written form. What transmission medium were you asked to send in the form? If this is the case, I split info into at least two parts where neither part contains enough info to complete transactions. I send one part by FAX and ONLY WHEN the recipient acknowledge the receipt, I would send the remainder by email whose part is usually sent by merchants (look at email receipts you get from online merchants) so no critical new info transmitted by email. All places I have dealt with accepted splitting info across several forms. All the receptionists at hotels told me they do this all the time. I also use Shopsafe one time use only CC number linked to my real credit card when I have to deal with an entity whose security practice seems questionable. Shopsafe cannot be used on transactions requiring presentation of the card that used for purchase. The virtual and the real numbers don't match by design.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've split it into two parts before instead of sending the entire number at once. Don't know if it's really any safer.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Most places I dealt with insisted in written form<<

Yes -- but the credit card info can be done verbally over the phone if the OP is nervous. Complete the booking form -- just call w/ the card #

(I personally never bother - but drchris is wary)
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 10:47 PM

Call them and arrange for a bank transfer.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 03:59 AM

Ask the owner if they would take a Paypal transfer. I rented an apartment in Rome and paid via Paypal. I wanted it paid for before arriving so that I did not have to worry about getting cash upon arrival, which would limit funds withdrawals later or I would end up not being able to get enough (ATM limit). I would never send my credit card information through an unsecured site.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 06:14 AM

If they do not have secure booking, I find another apartment. Just because the inquiry form is not secure does not necessarily mean they do not offer another means of payment--contact them first. In the past, I have done bank transfers, Paypal, and booking over the phone, but I am not emailing anything.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:24 AM

<i>If they do not have secure booking, I find another apartment.</i>

But then...

<i>Just because the inquiry form is not secure does not necessarily mean they do not offer another means of payment--contact them first.</i>

So which is it?
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:53 AM

How the heck would I know--I was throwing out options, only the OP can know by contacting the specific apartment service.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:07 AM

I've never paid attention to that secure website thing, but I also have sent my CC number just by two emails. Of course that is more secure, why wouldn't it be? Anyone supposedly getting one email wouldn't have the whole number.

A lot of apt owners don't have secure websites, I doubt if any private owners do.