Reload this Page >

Safe to stay in Venice and take 7AM train to Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 03:13 PM
Steve

We have 12:10 reservations out of Linate in Milan for a connection through London to the US. Is it safe for us to take the 7 AM train Venice-Milan, and then a cab to Liinate for the flight. Going on FF free business class, so only need an hour to check in. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Steve

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 07:45 AM
elaine

I think "safe" depends on what the downside is for you. I am the kind of person who would feel that is cutting it too close, and doesn't allow for some unforeseen (and admittedly unlikely)<BR>train delay.<BR>If you feel comfortable with whatever plan B is should you by some chance miss the flight, then go for it. If missing the flight would be a major inconvenience or expense, then leave Venice the night before and stay somewhere near the airport.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 10:54 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Steve<BR>Across the Grand Canal from the Venice\<BR>Santa Lucia RR Station is the four star<BR>Carlton Excutive and a block further down is the three star Canal &amp; Walter<BR>Around to the stations left on the Rio Terra are the four star Bellini,<BR>four star Amadeus, the two star Abbazia<BR>(in calle Priuli dei Cavalletti, about<BR>100 m from station. and the one sstar Spagna. Check into www.veniceinfo.it<BR>or www.venere.it/ for further information on these hotels. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..<BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 12:03 PM
Boots

I agree with Elaine. The downside might be a rail strike or slowdown. I encountered this between Florence and Paris a couple of years ago and spent a miserable night in the rail station in Milan. I don't dwell on mishaps like this, but if your Plan B is not a good one, you may want to sleep closer to your plane departure point.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 01:09 PM
Steve

Thanks folks. The downside is potentially dreadful...we have free Business class tix on British air Linate-London. I suppose if we missed it, we could buy tix on the BM flite an hour later but those are our only other option.....clearly not worth it. We're now looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Milan near the train station, figuring we'll try to grab a quick peak at DaVinci's last supper, then hop the bus to Linate in the morning. Sound less nuts?<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 01:19 PM
Holly

That sounds like a better plan, Steve. You could even stay near the duomo, and take a cab to Linate. It's not that far from town. About a 20 minute ride for around $14 three years ago.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:29 PM
Boots

I'm beginning to sound like a Grinch. I really do want you to have a good time, but I'm wondering if you can just get into Leonardo's Last Supper without reservations? You might do a search on this forum. I think it has been discussed. If you can't see it, the Duomo is worth a visit.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 07:28 PM
Andrea

You can call ahead from anywhere to make reservations to see the Last Supper; that's what I would recommend you do. If you can't get through on the phone (which is what happened to me), just go there first thing when you arrive in Milan and ask for an appointment. They were having a rather slow day when I was there (it was actually Christmas Eve), and I got right in. On a busier day, I've heard they can just assign you an appointment time. You could also ask the concierge at your Milan hotel to try calling for a reservation. If none of that works, I'd try showing up first thing the morning of your flight - I'm sure you could get in that way. It's absolutely worth it. I recommend getting the audio tape and listening to it right away - tells you what to look for (sybolism in the painting), and then you can just enjoy your 15 minutes with the painting in peace. Wonderful.<BR><BR>Also fabulous is the sort of castle-y museum. I can't remember the name, but it's very well known - everyone will know the one I mean. Michaelangelo's pieta is one of the many works on display there.<BR><BR>Also, Peck's is fabulous for packing a picnic lunch!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:12 PM
Steve

Since our plane leaves at 12, we will have to go to the Last supper as soon as it opens. Anyone experienced know if we will still need to get tix in advance..... (still reeling over Italy prices....online purchase of tix looks like about $25 for two. In Thailand, we each get dinner and a 2 hour massage for that much!!!

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Paule

If all you have time for is a short morning exploration, skip the Last Supper and spend the time at the Duomo, making sure to get on top of the roof. The views from the roof are great. While I enjoyed seeing the Last Supper, I don't think the hassle of getting there and to the airport is worth it; personally, seeing the Duomo is a far more worthwhile use of time.<BR><BR>I echo the thoughts of posters who say not to spend the night before your flight in Venice; you would definitely be cutting it too close for a 12:10 flight.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 11:25 AM
cheryl

Last year had no reservation for the last supper and spent 4 hours in line. Not worth it.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Barbara

I tried to see it in May, only to walk there &amp; see a "sold out" sign. I was told I could only call to make reservations for the next day. Of course, I didn't get there until 10am so maybe if you go when it first opens, you might have better luck. I didn't know reservations were taken/required.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 12:33 PM
kam

If you stay at a fairly good hotel in Milan, they can get you a reservation for the Last Supper (does that strike anyone else as a sill thing to say?) when you book your room. My husband asked his hotel the night before and go a reservation. The Duomo is fantastic as well with all the spires and statues.