Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

safe to send credit card to reserve Italy hotel via email?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:11 PM
Emily

I'm reluctant, but don't want to call internationally and no access to fax. I would prefer to reserve directly with hotel rather than booking website.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:18 PM
nospam

Hi Emily! It should be safe to send your credit card number. I did that last year with a Paris hotel. I've been planning my summer trip to France and Italy and have sent my CC number to several hotels in different Italian cities. I've been careful to check my account online to make sure no unauthorized activity is taking place. Make sure the hotel e-mails a confirmation after you've sent them your credit card number. Print it up and bring it with you when you go- it's your proof that you've reserved a room. You should also check if they're going to immediately charge the 1st night- some hotels have that policy. Have fun in Italy!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:23 PM
xxx

It is more dangerous to give your CC to a waiter than to send your number by email.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:54 PM
Babs

Aboslutely OK! I did all my booking to Italy like that. No Problems.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:15 PM
FLJudi

To be on the safe side, we send our credit card information in two separate emails, one with the first 8 numbers, the second with the last numbers and expiration date. This should subvert any hackers programs. All our hotels have been happy to accept this way.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Just

And, tell me, you cautious folks, do you do the same thing when you use a charge card in restaurant, a department store or a a gas station?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:23 PM
alison

Don't worry, it's pretty safe. I've reserved a couple of hotels in Paris via email. To me it's better than sending a fax which is displayed openly. It's simple also. As the previous posters mentioned, after you email your information, the hotel will send you an email confirmation about your reservation. It's all done professionally and the confirmation is sent within 24 hours. Also yes, you should be aware of the hotel's policy as most just need your credit card information to reserve the room but your card will not be charged before your arrival unless you don't abide by their cancellation policy.

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:38 AM
emily

Thanks to all! Great advice and I feel much more comfortablbe now!

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Bob Brown

My experience has been the same as described above.<BR><BR>So far, no problems.<BR>

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:38 AM
julie

Here's what we do. Send an introductory e-mail explaining that you will be sending your card ## and information in two messages. Then send part in one, and the rest in another. Minimizes chances of someone getting it.