Safe Neighborhood to Live in Madrid

Mar 15th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Safe Neighborhood to Live in Madrid

Hi.

So I'm trying to narrow down an apartment search at the moment. I'd like a safe neighborhood which has very good transport links to the rest of the city. I'm not interested in night life but I'd like to be fairly close to good restaurants, although I'm not averse to largely residential areas. The most important thing is safety though so I'd rather not be in an area where people will be drinking late at night in the streets when I might be coming back home alone. I have a student budget, looking to spend 400 euros max including utilities, will probably end up living with roommates, and I'm a girl.

So far, I'm thinking about looking in Moncloa, Arguelles, Retiro, Cuatro Caminos, La Latina and possibly Malasana. Are those good areas for what I want or should I be looking elsewhere? I would have included Salamanca too but I've heard it's quite expensive.

Thank you.
Mar 15th, 2015, 05:20 PM

Yes, Salmanca is expensive...often called " barrio de dinero."
Not sure about the cost , we like the area just east of Retiro.
Mar 16th, 2015, 02:57 AM

La Latina and Malasaña would for most parts be lots of nightlife.

I like the area around the Rios Rosas/Canal metro stations close to the excellent Teatros del Canal and the local main thoroughfare Calle de Bravo Murillo down towards Glorieta (and metro) Quevedo in Chamberi. Just a few metro stops to the heart of the city, nevertheless a slower pace here and nice local atmosphere daytime cafes, terraces and tapas bars. About the Chamberi area: http://moving2madrid.com/neighbourhood-chamberi/
Mar 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM

According to someone here on Fodors who was visiting her student son, the Conde Duque barrio was great. I myself don't know it but do like the name.