Safe Inexpensive Hotel near Frankfurt Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a safe inexpensive hotel near Frankfurt airport which would have free (or inexpensive) transport to the airport? Also, we would need to get from a train station to the hotel to check-in. Suggestions on hotels and transportation choices would be appreciated.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I am always curious as to how many "unsafe" hotels there are in western Europe. Somebody must have heard about them since there are often requests for the other kind of hotel.

Carry on.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 06:48 PM

You can take the train to/from the airport to downtown Frankfurt without much fuss and expense. Lots of options for lodging. I usually stay in the Frankfurt Marriott, which is near the fairgrounds. (I would consider even the seediest part of town to be safe.)

Maybe you could tell us how much you are willing to spend for the room.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:53 PM

When I was looking for a hotel for my last night in Germany before an early morning flight, most of the places I saw were more expensive than I wanted to pay.

I ended up staying at the Motel One, which is a cheap but clean place with everything I needed. It cost about $99, and was quite close to the airport. It was quiet and comfortable, and the shuttle to the airport was either free or inexpensive--I forget which.

I think you'd have to do some serious searching to find a hotel that isn't safe in Germany.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM

There is really no good reason to stay near the airport. The city center is only 11 min. away by train. Very easy to get to and from the airport. Knowing your budget would be helpful and how many people.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Priceline-name your own price. I usually stay at a 4* for 70€ or less. But I stay in Frankfurt.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM

I stayed at Hotel Excelsior right by the train station, which is a very easy trip to the airport, as mentioned above.

I agree you'd have to try hard to find an unsafe hotel in Frankfurt.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 12:50 AM

The short story "Les Contes du Matin" by Charles-Louis Philippe talks about a creepy hotel in Zurich
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 01:26 AM

Why/how would an "unsafe" hotel stay in business?

I am always wondering about these requests - are there really hotels where you are robbed or mugged, and that still stay open???
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 01:30 AM

I don't think the original poster's point is completely without merit, particularly without knowing Frankfurt.

In Vancouver, for example, there are numerous "residential hotels" which are full of cockroaches, bedbugs, rodents, and drugged residents, and in which it is not really that safe to go walking the corridors. I have seen some roadside motels in the US that looked highly sketchy, and some, of course, are havens for meth addicts, prostitutes, etc. A tourist is most unlikely to choose one of these places, but such places do exist in many cities.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 01:44 AM

I think a hotel can be in a part of the town which isn't safe or at least doesn't feel safe. Depending on what someone is willing to tolerate, I think some parts of Frankfurt close to the railway station fall into the "doesn't feel safe" category since there's the red light district and quite a lot of drug users. Personally I think it's unproblematic, but opinions might differ.

I think on this forum we already had a bunch of threats about hotels in Frankfurt and Mainz with easy access to the airport, so a search would probably help to get more recommendations.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 02:39 AM

altomira and others.. like hans and willtravel have expressed.. there are PLENTY of undesirable neighborhoods not far from airports that locals would NOT recommend in some parts of the world. I do not react incredulously to a question like this, as I am familiar with this situation.

And those hotel prices are cheaper, thus on a web search they can come up as options.

I find this request totally valid and hope you find something in your price range, kandd2.

I like priceline, myself, and would not hesistate to do the blind bidding for a 4*.

Also try www.hotwire.com as you will see the amenities ( shuttle for example) which can help you decide.

As mentioned, for any info, do a search here first as most questions have been answered many times over with lots of good suggestions on each thread.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 04:04 AM

I agree with WillTravel, we also stayed at the Excelsior, which is a business hotel directly across the street from the main train station. 10+ minutes to the terminal from there.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 04:12 AM

Last May my wife and I stayed at Hotel One, a brand new high-rise motel about 10 minutes by van from Frankfurt Airport. They pick you up and take you back. Ultra modern, spotless clean, breakfast included. Booked through the Internet. Highly recommend.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM

I will be doing the same thing the original poster is doing (or did, since this is an old post!) - coming to FF by train and leaving by air. So I've been looking for a good hotel. Just wanted to mention that the Motel One (which may be different from the Hotel One mentioned by USNR) does have a shuttle to the airport, but it's free only from the airport to the hotel. It also only runs certain hours (not mid-day). They will run it to the airport for $5, presumably during the same hours (no mid-day) but if you're planning to check in, go downtown to eat, come back, sleep and go to the airport, the "free shuttle" may not be worth it!
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM

One more reason to stay in the city, which is only 11 min. away by S-bahn rather than stay out by the airport. The Motel One in Frankfurt, is a 10 min. tram ride away from the main train station. Very nice and comfortable looking, with friendly staff.
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Mainhattengirl: I must be the most indecisive person in the world, because I can't just pick a place and go with it. However, I noticed that people are getting the Marriott on Priceline for a steal. I know it's not exactly where I want to be location wise, but it looks like I could walk a few minutes to "Ludwig Erhard" and catch tram 16 or 17 (forget which) to the Bahnhof. I believe tram ride is about 6 minutes, but I was a little confused by the schedule. Anyway, once I'm at the station, about how long does it take to get by subway to the Altstadt, or to the Alte Brucke? I may be swayed to stay at the cushy Marriott if it's not that hard to get downtown and back, and then get to the airport in the morning. I'm not crazy about cabs, but for the ride to the airport from the Marriott, probably will go that route.
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM

I stayed at Motel One, which was near the airport and had free transportation there. It was about 100 per night. It was pretty basic but had everything I needed.

My plane left early in the morning, and I felt more secure being at a hotel near the airport rather than take an S Bahn.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM

The trams #16 and #17, stop directly in front of the Marriot. You could take them to the HBF which takes about 5 min. and then switch to tram #11 which will take you directly to the Römerberg, Paulskirche, Dom, etc. in just 3 stops, or 5 min. Most trams run every 10 minutes. Most S-bahns run every 20 minutes. Sundays and holidays, they have a reduced schedule.

It is not difficult to get downtown, in fact you could even walk if you felt like it. I am one of those people who like the train station area and find it fascinating, especially the beautiful old buildings that line this street. So, I like the 20 minute walk down the Kaiserstrasse to the middle of the city.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:01 PM

You might consider the Aschaffenburger Hof, a really nice quiet place and only a three minute walk from the Aschaffenburg train station. There are hourly ICE trains to Frankfurt Flughafen taking about 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -