Sacre Coeur from Gare du Nord?

Apr 25th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Sacre Coeur from Gare du Nord?

Have been to Paris several times but never to Sacre Coeur.

This July we will have a 6-hour layover between trains. Will arrive at Montparnasse 1 et 2 and make our way to Gare du Nord where we plan to store luggage waiting for a night train departure at approximately 8:45 PM.

Thought this might be a good chance to finally visit Sacre Coeur.

Any thoughts as to what else to explore or see?

I keep reading the whole area is a massive tourist trap but am not deterred.

Assume we can do this by Metro and walking.

Any suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance.
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:55 AM
tod

Well Dukey so far you have missed one of the loveliest parts of Paris!
Forget about the 'tourist trap' part - it's just a lot of people having a good time looking at paintings, having their own portraits done( my son has an excellent chalk sketch of himself),people sitting and sipping a beer and watching the passing parade. Thats mostly Place du Tetre.
Now it's time to explore. I'm not sure if Degas posted one of his famous walks on Montmatre but there is an excellent 90 minute walk in the EyeWitness Guide to Paris. This will stand you in good stead for everything.
Don't be afraid to sit down at one of the numerous cafe's in Place du Tetre - Maybe they do charge more than normal but what the heck - it's your initiation to Sacre Coeur in Montmarte!These are a few things you should not miss whilst up there:

Going inside the Basilica - I haven't climbed up to the outlook on top.

Walking down rue des Saules to see the only vineyard left in Paris and opp.the famous Lapin Agile cabaret haunt.

Wander down Rue Rustique from Place du Tetre and come right alongside another famous old cafe` Le Consulat.

Either arrive or depart from metro Abbesses with it's Art Nouveau entrance.

Apr 25th, 2007, 04:02 AM

It is easily walkable from Gare du Nord. The easiest path would be to walk up boulevard de Magenta from the train station until you get to Barbès-Rochechouart (300 meters). Unmissable due to the elevated metro line there and the North African ambience. Just turn left along the metro line (where it goes back underground) and follow the boulevard de Rochechouart until you reach the Anvers metro station (just one stop from Barbès, i.e. about 400 meters). There you will see rue de Steinkerque which is the street leading straight to Sacré Coeur. Follow the hordes of tourists going up hill. When you reach the park in front of Sacré Coeur, you go off towards the left towards the funicular (which should be back in service by July) or head up the steps alongside if you're feeling brave. If the funicular is not fixed yet and you don't want to go up the steps, there is a replacement bus running to take you to the top of the hill.

If you are obliged to bring back some traditional Paris souvenirs, sleazy or otherwise, the souvenir shops between the Sacré Coeur and the place du Tertre are among the largest, cheapest and best in Paris for that sort of stuff.
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Tod,

Thanks for responding.

I am actually one of those "non-experienced" posters who still believes there are good reasons why tourists often flock to certain areas and don't mind in the least being counted amongst them.

Anyway, I will look into my older Eyewitness Guide for Paris. I suspect we will want to get a bite to eat, too.
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kerouac.

Actually I read some of your other comments about the area when doing a search here.

I appreciate the directions and advice.
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:49 AM

(Actually if you walk up rue de Dunkerque from Gare du Nord, it takes you directly to Anvers metro station. But the other route is more "colorful.")