Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sabina, Martina, Nina tour guides in Prague

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:32 AM
kit

Hello,<BR><BR>I've seen each recommended here on this forum, but can only find an email address for Martina. Does anyone have contact information for Nina or Sabina? Any personal thoughts on who is most reliable and/or interesting as a guide?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:05 AM
kit

Anyone? It's falling fast!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:11 PM
kit

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Marc David Miller

As an architecture and history admirer I was enthralled by Nina Jelinkova: try<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>Her life story is something out of "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"; her grandmother was Jewish and lived in England during the war, became a Communist party member, then <BR>left in 1968 and returned to find her job gone. Nina had great difficulty <BR>getting into university because of her family's "suspicous" past. Later, <BR>Nina was trained as a civil engineer, which is why she knows the architecture of Prague so well. <BR><BR>Several of my friends have used her as well and were quite satisfied with <BR>their tours.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:05 PM
kit

Thank you, Mark. It's appreciated!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Leslie

Sabina's email address is [email protected]. When Sabina is booked on requested dates, she refers people to Martina.<BR><BR>Martina, who I have not met, is also a licensed tour guide and a friend of Sabina's. I recall from other posts, that Martina, like Sabina is a graduate student at Charles University. <BR><BR>In November 2001, I had the opportunity to have both Nina and Sabina give me separate private tours of Prague. Although I found Nina to be knowledgeable, I found Sabina to be more friendly, and have more warmth than Nina. That may have something to do with their ages, as Sabina is in her mid 20s, while Nina is in her mid 40s, and Nina has more of a communist mentality. Sabina, on the other hand, has more experience with Americans, and has more knowledge about the US and US customs. Also, Sabina has a better grasp of the English language and American slang. Of course, this advantage is because Sabina has an American boyfriend (from NYC) that lives and works in Prague.<BR><BR>I should mention that all guides in Prague and for that matter, the rest of the Czech Republic, are licensed and must go through an extensive educational program and testing, before they are licensed. Each tour guide must also apprentice with another tour guide or tour company before being able to go off on his/her own.<BR><BR>In November, Sabina charged $7 per hour for tours. This price is per group and not per person, however, her prices may have increased slightly since November. Others here can give you details about pricing. Sabina and Martina will also customize tours based on what you want to see in Prague. Also, both Sabina and Martina will meet you at your hotel to begin the tour.<BR><BR>From my experience with both Sabina and Nina, I highly recommend Sabina for a fun and knowledgeable day.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:19 AM
kit

Thank you, Leslie. Sounds like I'm safe any way I go...

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Melissa

My "full day tour" was split between Martina & Sabina, which was fine.....I liked them both but if I had to CHOOSE, I think I liked Martina better. She was a lot more informative than Sabina, but they were both good.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Guido

Thanks for the info, as I'm planning a trip to Prague in 2003, and this post is very helpful.