Ryan Air Or Easy Jet From Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to fly from Paris to Venice I want to consider smaller airlines like Ryan Air And easy Jet to save money has anyone had experience in using these airlines or have any advice about airports? Air France is 6 times the price.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM

I have not flown either of those yet. But we have booked flights on EasyJet from Milan to Lyon in May. It was only 49 euros per flight. I am confident that it will be fine.

We did, however, pay for checking our luggage at 14 euros per bag. I was concerned that our carryon luggage was a teeny bit larger than the restrictions on their website, so I decided it wasn't worth worrying. If you don't pay for the checking baggage when booking, and they refuse you when you board, it costs significantly more.

That's all I know. Others on this board spoke well of those two airlines when I asked.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Ryanair flies out of Beauvais (an hour from Paris) into Treviso( half an hour from Venice) whereas EasyJet flies from either CDG or Orly to Venice Marco Polo airport.
EasyJet wins hands up.
I've flown both companies. EasyJet is fine, more comfortable and pleasant than Ryanair
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM

I have travelled with Ryanair many times without any problems. You do have to remember that you only get what you pay for.

Ryanair is extremely low prices at first glance. Then there is the added cost for checked luggage, priority boarding, travel insurance etc. If you aren't very careful the final price can be twice what you were expecting. Of course, if you only have carryon and don't care about getting a decent seat you don't have to pay for most of those extras.

You do need to look very closely at the measurements for the carryon, because it gets really expensive to check the bag at the last minute. And when they say ONE carryon item they do mean ONE.

Also keep in mind that Ryanair does not always fly to the main airports and there may be an extra cost to get into the actual city. Have no idea of this is true for Venice, but it certainly was for London.

I have never tried EasyJet.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Easyjet.

1. they fly between proper airports which bear some resemblance to their names - ie Paris CDG, not Beauvais, Venice Marco Polo not Treviso. [we flew Ryanair from Bristol to Vienna and landed in a different country! - it actually goes to Bratislava, in neighbouring Slovakia].

2. the price you see is the price you pay - no extras to pay by credit card, fuel/tax surcharges, etc. yes, they do charge extra for checked luggage but you get 20kgs, and there is no bar on "pooling" [ie 2 people may have a total of 40kgs; on Ryanair you must each be below the 15kgs limit - if one of you has 14kgs and the other 16kgs, the latter will pay for the extra 1kg].

3. they are pretty punctual - we've used them loads of times and have had very few delays or cancellations.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I was leaning toward Easy jet because of more convenent travel times. I'll bet even with all add ons these airlines will be worth the price difference from Air france. We were considering the train. thirteen hours by train and a sleeper is available for $192.00 X two.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
easyJet for sure.

"<i>I want to consider smaller airlines like Ryan Air And easy Jet</I>"

Nothing at all '<i>smaller</i>' about either one BTW. They are massive airlines and carry more people than many of the legacy/'larger' airlines . . . like AF.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM

Easyjet , but I would also check prices on Vueling I have done both airlines and they are cheap and we thought they were absolutely fine.

I did not see any "hidden" prices, you buy your ticket then you asked if you wish to add extras, like checked luggage, early boarding, seat assignment , insurance.

I never take any of those features EXCEPT I always pay to check a bag. Paying up front ahead of time for a checked bag is like 10-20 euros extra,, but if you get to the airport and then have to check it ( because you foolishly thought they would ignore that exta 1/2 inch whatever) now the fee to airport check is ALOT more.

I would not recommend Ryanair, I have done alot of research on them( as with several other airlines that I do think are fine, Tuifly and AirBerliner) and Ryanair is a joke, they say you are flying to or from Paris but you are not, you are 100 kim away ,and there is no direct route to commute out there its bus and train and almost 2 hours.. and thats not free, so the 15-30 euros you think you are saving by using them compared to Easyjet or others, well you are not saving it at all plus you are losing hours of your time. The rer from Charles de Gaulle airport to Paris is about 35 minutes and takes you right into centre of city and costs under 10 euros.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM

I've flown Easyjet a couple times and like them a lot. I always pay to check a bag, also, but I have traveled on them when I was in the middle of a long vacation so had a bag over the carryon limits, which are very very strict. And you cannot have two of them, and that includes your purse. That's fine as long as you understand it, their rates are still excellent, and the planes are fine.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Your replies are graciously appreciated.Easy Jet it is! A flight Leaving at 11Am and arriving at 1Pm. We'll have plenty of luggage and reserved seats for around $260.00 for both of us. Thanks,So much. If anyone has any questions about Nawlins,Louisiana. That's where I am.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:27 PM

Depending on the season when you're travelling, I'd also suggest investing in a scottevest.

http://www.scottevest.com/

One time on Easyjet I had stuck my backpack into the suitcase so as to have only ONE carryon. The suitcase had a bulge and the flight attendant refused to let me on because of the bulge.

Luckily I had a scottevest with its numerous pockets, so was able to take out all my electronics gear - chargers, phone, batteries, even my netbook and stuffed them in different pockets. I even stuffed my lightweight backpack into the pocket on the back of the scottevest. The flight attendant then let me on the flight.

She really didn't care how much I was carrying ON me, just that the independent carryon was a one piece that fit within the dimensions.

Once on board, I took everything out again and put them into my backpack, put the backpack into the suitcase and put the suitcase in the overhead bin.

Much ado about nothing.

But that one carryon has to fit EXACTLY the dimensions given. and only ONE piece.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:41 PM

ironandsilk, I warn you to keep luggage to a minimum, Venice, all those cute arched bridges,, you know most are actually stairs up and down, and if taking trains, no porters etc.. Sorry don't know how euroepeon travel experienced you are, but lots of luggage will really impact your trip in negative ways.. but hey, you'll see. lol
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

I am Blessed. This is my third trip to Venice and Italy. What you say about the trains is true first I traveled first class for only a little more it was nice. Then came the trouble no porters no carts.All our luggage was on wheels but my wife couldn't help because it was just too heavy. So I drug 4 bags down the tracks for two blocks. It was difficult, but my plan this time is the four wheels spinner luggage.I have tried to cut back but I am a photographer and usually have 6 cameras and lens along with a laptop.What I have learned on this site is be prepared to pay extra for my luxuries and believe me I know what you say is true. Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:32 PM

"<i>I am a photographer and usually have 6 cameras and lens </i>"

That's nuts

I know a couple of world famous photographers and unless they are on a special assignment like Wimbledon or a Grand Prix or a fashion shoot, a couple of outfits is all they need. Plus they fly on the client's dime in Business/FC . . . certainly not on easyJet.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Some people just pay the several euro fee instead of loading up with special vests and stuffing themselves by wearing stuff all over them, this reminds me of some bad movie. There is a point where doing stuff like that is just being cheap IMO, but if that's the way you want to spend your time and money, go ahead.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:21 PM

Christina I don't think its fair to say its cheap, you don't know what sacrifices people make to be able to afford to travel and they may take shortcuts I wouldn't , but then I may take shortcuts others wouldn't dream of either.. I stay in 2 and 3 stars and I am sure there are travellers who may think its cheap that I spend months researching to get the best deal , because they can easily afford the 4 plus stars and first class airfare.. I 'm not cheap, but I do get to travel alot more then some people I know ,, mostly because they say "its so expensive",, it is the way they do it though.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 01:55 AM

ironandsilk

pay for your checked in luggage online and not at the airport where the charge generally is notably higher. you can do this by retrieving your booking and add how many bags you want to check in.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 08:11 AM

I personally would never check expensive camera gear and six cameras/lenses/laptop are likely too big for the ONE carry on you are allowed.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Have you had any trouble with the Easyjet website? We are in Texas and could get to the page to pay and we would get an error code. I looked up the code online and apparently they have been having trouble with it for years. We have luckily been able to use Easyjet a few times in recent years and have never had this problem.

I finally just called and they had to book everything online for me. We are checking luggage on 2 flights to Sicily and then on to Paris and they were 212 dollars each person. For they time this saves us to get from one place to another, the $200 is worth it. This was cheaper than anthing else I could find.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have not yet used either airline, but I do know from my entourage that people like Easyjet and generally hate Ryanair. This said, people will generally choose the cheapest fare no matter what for such a short flight, but look out for the hidden fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -