Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ryan Air, Easyjet, etc.--where do they fly! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ryan-air-easyjet-etc-where-do-they-fly-440828/)

Byrd Jun 9th, 2004 12:59 PM

Ryan Air, Easyjet, etc.--where do they fly!

Do the low-cost airlines in Europe fly in and out of Prague and Budapest from London?

Byrd

m_kingdom2 Jun 9th, 2004 01:01 PM

Don't be so lazy:

www.easyjet.com

www.ryanair.com

Your answer lies there, do some spade work before getting others to do it for you.

Gardyloo Jun 9th, 2004 01:07 PM

Diplomatic as always.

Try www.whichbudget.com for a pretty comprehensive listing.

Byrd Jun 9th, 2004 01:14 PM

Thank you.

rex Jun 9th, 2004 01:58 PM

I dont think that whichbudget.com has smartwings.net (new low-cost airline based in Prague)

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34479325

And to someone earlier who didn't understand the bashing of m_kingdom2 (a thread that fodors removed) - - here's a classic example: a cheeky arrogant answer that actually doesn't help byrd get to the info needed.

And skyeurope serves Budapest by the way (but not to London?), in case it isn't listed on whichbudget.com (though I think it does list it there - - without looking).

Best wishes,

Rex

m_kingdom2 Jun 9th, 2004 02:13 PM

The vast majority of posters here have researched their holidays to some extent. Byrd could very easily have checked on the web-sites i advised, as given by a simple search on google.com.

Why ask something that has yes/no answers? Find out some information and ask for opinions. If you read this forum, every question asks for opinions which is far more interesting than "yes/no".

BigRuss Jun 9th, 2004 02:18 PM

I'm supporting the Fodor Curmudgeon on this -- research isn't hard on a question like this.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 9th, 2004 02:51 PM

I agree with MK2 on this.

Google or this forum search would have given every answer to this simple question.

Clifton Jun 9th, 2004 02:57 PM

If you find a low cost airline that Martino hasn't included on his whichbudget.com site yet, you might want to let him know.

He's got a nice site with a lot of information about quite a lot of low cost European carriers.

Gardyloo Jun 9th, 2004 02:59 PM

I agree of course but where do you draw the line? If every person that asked an innocent enough question was required to do a search before asking it, there would be damn few new questions posed. Cheap hotel in Amsterdam? Do a search. Livorno to Florence, ditto. Train or fly to Edinburgh? And so on.

Byrd should know better - he/she has posted on the Europe board a lot. Still, claiming that your time is being wasted by answering questions on the board is some sort of logical goofup - what's the precise term? (I know, go to Google...) ;)

Byrd Jun 9th, 2004 03:49 PM

Mercy! Certainly doesn't take much to get people stirred up, does it?

I know I could have found this information. I have researched lots of trips, and have asked very few questions here. I have answered questions when I felt I had something to offer.

But--this afternoon, I was reading the thread about saving money by flying to London, then taking Easyjet further on. I was describing this to my husband, who said "Ask if they fly to Prague and Budapest."

I did. I apologize.

Thank you again for the info you have given.

Byrd

Nikki Jun 10th, 2004 12:32 AM

I think no apology is necessary. This is a place where people ask questions as part of their research. That should be fine. If someone doesn't want to answer because he or she thinks the question is easily answered elsewhere, then that's fine too.

When people are told they shouldn't post here without doing research first, it must puzzle those who actually believe that posting questions here is in itself research.

If every question that could be answered elsewhere (or every question that has already been answered here) is banned, then this forum becomes an archive, rather than the interactive discussion we all enjoy.

David_London Jun 10th, 2004 03:34 AM

Another good site for exploring low cost airlines in Europe and beyond is:
attitudetravel.com

Jimbo Jun 10th, 2004 03:49 AM

Another good site, that actually links to the 3rd party sites to get prices is

www.applefares.com

although they don't cover all budget airlines, they do cover Air 2000, AirBerlin, Air Scotland, BasiqAir, BMI, bmibaby, easyJet, GermanWings, Globespan, Hapag-Lloyd Express, Jet2, MyTravelLite, Sky Europe, SkyNet Airlines, Sterling, Thomsonfly, V Bird, Virgin Express and Volare.

Easyjet and Sky Europe both fly to and from Budapest (out of London, Luton and London, Stansted respectively - both are about an hour out of central London but both count technically as London airports). A typical fare is around 160GBP return, which isn't THAT budget, but still probably a sight cheaper than the big players like BA.

As for Prague, Easyjet will fly return from London Stansted for around 90GBP, while bmiBaby will fly there from London Gatwick for around 105GBP return.

Hope this helps Byrd.

(m_kingdom, I believe in either giving advice or winding one's long neck back into one's ugly shoulders)

Jimbo Jun 10th, 2004 03:56 AM

Byrd

I've also had a quick check on expedia.co.uk, they claim a return flight to Budapest with Malev (the Hungarian flag carrier) for around 135GBP from London Stansted, for the same sort of dates. It's probably worth bearing in mind that the budget airlines flying to Central and Eastern Europe have only just started the routes and as such their prices aren't as low as some (e.g. the gone-but-not-forgotten-and-hopefully-soon-to-return London to Brussels Charleroi for 0.01GBP + tax)...

Also, Czech airlines will fly you to Prague from London Heathrow if you're more likely to be in that area, for around 120GBP.

It does depend a lot on what day of the week you wish to travel and how far in advance you are prepared to book these tickets. The budget airlines are always better the further away from departure you book...

Hope it helps...

Tulips Jun 10th, 2004 03:57 AM

There is a 'fly on the wall' documentary about Easyjet on TV at the moment; they would have to be very low cost for me to want to fly with these people. Talk about bad publicity. Whatever you do; get to the check-in on time! If you're even 5 minutes late, they won't let you check in, even if you're on your way to your father's funeral.

Byrd Jun 10th, 2004 04:03 AM

Thanks to all of you! This is wonderful information, and I so appreciate all your help and interest.

Byrd

Jimbo Jun 10th, 2004 04:04 AM

It's true, Airline does paint a bad picture, and ultimately you ARE flying with a budget airline (who'd have thought five years ago that we in Europe would be able to fly to any Western European country for less than $100US). The Airline that you are probably referring to is also from some time ago, the series is still continuing to some extent on British TV, but the early days of Easyjet were blighted with problems.

I've flown with them, our company uses them as our preferred business carrier, they're seriously good value for money.

Plus, you've got to admire a company who's prepared to allow such a documentary to be produced and paint such a 'realistic' picture.

But the one thing you're dead right about is, DON'T be late for check-in. However, in these days of heightened paranoia and security checks just about every step of the way, you need as much time as possible to make any flights anywhere it appears (apart from internal flights in NZ which are much more like catching a bus...!)

rex Jun 10th, 2004 04:59 AM

Martino,

I'm glad to see that my info was not up-to-date on your inclusion of smartwings.net on your website. I had learned of it here on this forum, and it may have been back (two months ago) about the time that the airline first began offering service that I looked to see if you had it.

spiegelcjs Jun 16th, 2004 11:28 PM

This thread has been very informative. I am new to this site and have already gained a great deal of knowledge about how to go about researching my own travel. In the past we have always used a travel agent and rarely done the research ourselves.

The trip we are taking in September to Berlin, Budapest and Prague I am planning and am really haveing fun doing this. However, due to a lack of knowledge I think I really made a big mistake. I booked tickets on Malav Airlines from Berlin to Budapest and these cost about $350.00 each US. I now see that there are "budget airlines" that I knew nothing about. I checked on one mentioned above and see that I can actually go from Berlin to Budapest for about $50.00 US per person one way if I did the conversion correctly. This is out of Schenfeld airport.

The map says this is about 11 miles outside of the city. What does this actually mean? Is this from the center and is easyjet there just like using Southwest here. I am willing to cancel my tickets and pay the fee to save so much money. Opinions please.

By the way I love this site and am addicted to it.