Search

Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy

I am going to Venice Italy for a week long Greek Isle cruise. I have never been to this area and plan on staying 7-9 extra days to see Italy. I have not been able to find a tour that meets my desires and am considering building my own Itinerary. I really want to see the coast line Amalfi as well as Cinque Terre. Tuscany, Rome, ??It is a once in a life time opportunity and I would appreciate any input in must sees. I don't mind changing hotels frequently
Thank you
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 03:55 AM

So your itinerary needs to end in Venice so that you can join the cruise there?

If so, and without any other information, such as time of year or your interests or budget, I would suggest flying into Naples ans starting your trip in Sorrento or Positano, as a base to explore the Amalfi Coast. From there, I would go by train to Florence by Rome (not both), and then train to Venice. Skip Cinque Terre.

A period of "7-9 days" minus travel time between cities simply isn't enough time to see all the places you listed. My itinerary assumes 9 days, with 2-3 days in each place.

To get more info, you'll have to provide more info.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:03 AM

I agree. You can't possibly see all of that in 9 days. Since it is your first trip, I would fly into Rome, train to Florence and then to Venice. Skip the Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre this time. You will have plenty of opportunity to see the sea and coastal areas on your Greek cruise.

It would help to know when you are traveling.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 05:55 AM

A few more details of the logistics would indeed be helpful. Does the cruise start and end in Venice? What month? If you start and end in Venice, then afterwards you can head onwards to the other places that interest you and probably depart from Rome. I'd advise choosing either the CT OR Amalfi - somewhat dependent on month you are going and also whether you want more GLAM (Amalfi) or nature (CT) It would be east to do a few days in CT, then Tuscany and finish in Rome.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Amalfi Coast, CT, and the Tuscan countryside are warm weather destinations, at least based on what attract most people to these areas. Rome and big cities in Tuscany are more season independent, while Venice may not be as enjoyable if you have to deal with the high water.

If you really wanted to see Italy and if this is a once in a life opportunity, it seems the Italy itinerary should have been made the primary objective of your trip over the cruise. If both cruise and the land are equally important to you, you must prioritize destinations irrespective of whether you will come back of not. You simply do not have enough days.

There are many different approaches to trim down destinations. Some assume you will be back and do what is easy this time. This approach hinges on the certainty of coming back. I would approach this by hitting Rome and Venice very lightly this time and heavy on Amalfi or CT or Tuscany if this is a warm season. Why? Suppose you do come back, for example another cruise. Then adding Venice or Rome again would be very easy since you would be starting or ending cruise these and you MUST stay there anyway. Adding AC would again be troublesome. Suppose you do not come back, then you have at least seen a few biggies in Rome and Venice.

Assume your cruise starts and ends in Venice. If you are doing the Italy portion before the cruise, and if you are flying into Venice, you have compounded the problem. You would be throwing away almost a day out of what little days you have by having to backtrack from the southern most point to Venice. It is the same issue if you are doing the Italy part after the cruise. If you are flying out of Venice, you also have to backtrack.