Russian night train for solo traveler

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:05 AM
Debbie

Russian night train for solo traveler

I am wanting to hear from anyone(particularly women)that have taken the night train from Moscow to St Petersburg on their own. I am debating buying out both bunks but I am not sure of the cost of that. I have heard that you could be put with a man and that would be pretty uncomfortable for me. I could fly for about the same price but the airport hassle is not appealing. Thanks

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:57 AM
Marc David Miller

I am a man but have traveled some (and know Russian/Western women who have done the same) on the Russian night trains, including this route.

Yes, you could be paired up with a man, but it is a customary thing (as it is customary for the man to leave the compartment when you are changing). If you have concerns, you could (1) take second class, which would mean sharing with three others (again, could be all men, but you would not be alone with one--often more comforting) or (2) buy both bunks in first class. I often did this just so I could work/sleep on my own schedule without disturbance.

The cost of the first class ticket is now about $40 for this trip, so two would be $80 (and in line with airfare between the two cities).

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:35 AM
FLY

For goodness sake,fly.Surely the hassle at the airport would be better than worrying about your comfort zone w/a total stranger! The airport actually would not be that bad because it is within Russia,that is ,it starts in Moscow not from outside of Russia.I took trains lastyear w/my dad and neither of us got much sleep for various reasons......Fly.....

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:52 AM
Kathleen

I took the train from St Pete to Moscow in '94. I was with a tour, but as I was the single, odd-one out, I had to share with a man. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive, but he was very nice, left the compartment, etc. It also helped that my traveling companions were right next door. But it can be a gamble, and I've heard horror stories about the train, so it might be easier to fly--plus since it's a night train, it's not like you're missing out on the scenery....

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:36 AM
Debbie

Thanks to all, I guess I didn't realize it was so inexpensive to buy both bunks. If I do go that route then should I purchase the tickets while there or ahead of time? I am more inclined to purchase on a website instead of trying to talk with a ticket agent at the train station. Marc, I do plan on meeting up with Olga for at least a few hours for an orientation type tour, maybe she could help me in getting the train ticket.

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:42 AM
beware

Debbie,sorry to see you're opting for the train.Noisy,dirty -even if you go first class!Make sure to lock the door and know how to open it!

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:56 AM
Marc David Miller

IF you take the train, forget about buying tickets on a web site

Debbie,
Please send me a private email.

Apr 1st, 2002, 11:25 AM
hm02446

Áàãàæíûé Ìîñêâà Êàçàíñêàÿ ×åëÿáèíñê 05:02 18:05 2 ä 13 ÷ 3 ì
162× Ñêîðîñòíîé Ìîñêâà Îêòÿáðüñêàÿ Ñàíêò-Ïåòåðáóðã-Ãëàâí. 07:25 12:15 4 ÷ 50 ì
Check out speedy train leaving moscow at 7.25 it takes 4 hour to get to St. Petersburg. Sitting tipe.
Travel.ru