Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train or bus to from Siena to San Gimignano?

Old May 13th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - I've done a bit of research and I'm still puzzled about my options for public transportation from Siena to San Gimignano. I understand that the train doesn't go all the way to San Gimignano, but only as far as Poggibonsai, but which would actually be more convenient? We are staying right near the train station in Siena, so I'm thinking train to Poggibonsai and then short bus ride from there? Or should we just go with the bus all the way?
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:05 PM

we have driven it..but I would think the train to Poggibonso and the local bus short drive to San Jimmy. Don't be spooked by the day crowds in San G. by late afernoon they're all gone and the evenings are a delight walking the streets of the town. Be sure to book dinner at E Vecchi Mura, sitting on a balcony overlooking the valley. It's rght off the main street.
stu
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:34 PM

There are frequent bus services from Viale Tozzi (Piazza Gramsci)in Siena, noted here on the Google map:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=43.32...num=1&t=h&z=18

Here is the bus route map around Siena: http://www.sienamobilita.it/mappe/Mappa_EXT.pdf. Note bus #130 goes to San Gimignano.

Here is the time table for now: look up #130, or starting page 50 http://www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

And to get the online timing, enter the starting point and the destinations here: http://www.busfox.com/timetable/

You buy the bus tickets at the ticket counter located below the bus stop. The stairs to go below from both side of the street, but not from the center island where buses stop. There is a huge digital display on the island showing upcoming departure times.
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>We are staying right near the train station in Siena, so I'm thinking train to Poggibonsai and then short bus ride from there? <<<

Are you sure? There really isn't much around the train station except a mall. If you can change reservations, I suggest you stay in the historic center as the train station is a distance away.

Some buses to San G require a change in Poggibonsi. Try to take one that doesn't require changing (I wouldn't bother with the train especially in summer as they won't have AC). They do try to time the buses so the wait isn't long for the connecting bus, but it doesn't always work out that way.

>>>You buy the bus tickets at the ticket counter located below the bus stop.<<<

You can also buy them in the tabbachi right on Piazza Gramsci. Be sure to validate your ticket on board.
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:11 AM

Right. And please remember that on out-of-town routes you'll hardly find rides after 8 pm, so don't be late!