Russell Road / Kensington High Street

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed in this area? I've booked a last minute vacation and have usually stayed in flats around the Gloucester Street tube. The owner advised that you are within walking distance of Kensington Park, Royal Albert, museurms - checked on Google maps - looks like a fair distance? Not sure if I'm worrying needlessly. Both of us are walkers but I've never been to London in December and am not sure if the weather is condusive to 2-3 hour walks?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM

It's further out than I'd like to stay. You're close to Kensington Olympia station, but looks like that is only served by overground trains and one branch of the District line. What budget are you looking for? Others might be able to make suggestions in your price range.

Which part of December? London tends to shut down on Christmas - no transit, so you'll have to walk to anything you do.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I will be there between December 3-11 - this is my third trip - first time in the winter - thought of doing some of the markets, maybe the theatre.

I've rented a 2 bedroom flat on Russell Road - I guess I will have to use the subway more than expected!

Thank you!
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM

We haven;t stayed on High St but we always go there to shop and window shop when we are there in December. Lots of shops, cafes etc - likely will be VERY busy on weekends at least with holiday shoppers.
And ignore the poster who talked about xmas/boxing day - you'll be there at a great time for the holidays and the tube will be running There's a tube stop at Kensington High St as well.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 06:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The flat is around the corner from the Kensington Olympia Holiday Inn. How far around the corner depends on how far up Russell Rd it is. You can forget about Olympia for tube connections. It is a bit of a hike to High Street Kensington station - but there are several bus lines along Kensington High Street. You will most likely be using buses more than the tube, at least for the beginnings of most journeys.

(Just so flanner doesn't get apoplectic - in your OP those should be 'Gloucester <u>Road</u>', 'Kensington <u>Gardens</u>' - or maybe you meant <u>Hyde</u> Park, and the 'Royal Albert <u>Hall</u>' - unless you meant the Albert <u>Memorial</u
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 10:18 PM

Never mind apoplexy, it helps <i>you</i> if you use a full name. Say just "Royal Albert" on its own, and not a few Londoners might think you mean the DLR station or the Royal Albert Dock way out in east London, for example.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Ajak, to estimating walking distances in London, go to walkit.com. This tool is very useful in gauging the distances from point to point in the city. I found it very helpful.

Enjoy London…
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for the tips & suggestions! Will remember to use the full name and walkit.com is great.

I spoke to a previous renter and I'm less than 5 minutes to Kensington High Street and it took her 20 minutes to reach Royal Albert Hall so I feel much better about the location.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 02:26 PM

"<i>I spoke to a previous renter and I'm less than 5 minutes to Kensington High Street</i>"

You better clarify that. Yes - less than 5 minutes to <u>Kensington High Street</u> -- the <u>street</u>. But most definitely not 5 minutes from High Street Kensington tube station.

It is about .75 mile from the corner of Russell Rd @ Kensington High Street to High Street Kens station. So the flat is at least a 15 minute walk to the station - more likely 20 mins.

The Royal Albert Hall is about 1.5 miles from the flat (again, depending on how far up the Road it is) so would take between 30 and 45 minutes.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM

I've stayed almost right there (at Holiday Inn) a few times - trust me, you'll be taking the buses.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM

Forget about using the tube from Olympia, it will take too long as the trains to Olympia are infrequent. A better option is to take a bus towards a tube station and depending of the traffic, switch to using the tube. Bus 9 and 10 both go along Kennsington High Street, 9 stops at Aldwych, 10 at Kings Cross. There are other bus routes along Kennsington High Street too.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM

yep - from that location, the buses are your friend . . .
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM

Haven't stayed in that area for a while but wanted to add that I hope you will watch "Love Actually" before you go -- set in London during Christmas season.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM

I think the district line to Olympia only runs on weekends, public holidays and when there are specific events at the convention centre there so be sure you get to know the bus routes!
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their tips & comments. Had a wonderful time! Was able to walk to the tube (10-15 min) and walked a few times to Royal Albert Hall & Hyde Park. The locations looked further away on the map but were in fact much closer. Wonderful shops in the area.

Thanks again!