Rushing thru London, Paris and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to London-Paris-Rome this August. It's a quick 13 day trip and it's our first time at all cities so we are packing in a lot. I'm wondering if we are being realistic in thinking we can do it. For example, I have one day to see all the major tourist sites in each city (the rest of the days are for out of otwn sites or the more leisurely things like Louvre or British Museum).

London we are doing Parliament area, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace all in one day...crazy? Also, in Paris we are doing Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe area, Seine cruise in one day. Also doing Versallies and Montmartre in one day. Is this doable? We've already booked transport so we can't cut out Rome at this point. We have 4 full days in London, 5 full days in Paris and 2 full days in Rome. The rest are half days or less due to transport. We are doing pretty much everything on our own to save money except for the Vatican and Stonehenge-Windsor (already booked these tours).
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM
yk

If you have already booked your tickets and all the tours, I'm wondering what you want us to say? Yes, you're crazy?

For London, head to Tower of London first thing in the morning. When you say Buckingham Palace and the Parliament, do you mean touring the INSIDE or just looking from the outside? If you mean touring INSIDE then yes that's way too much for 1 day.

Versailles takes a whole day, but I guess you can head there early in the AM and visit Montmarte when you get back. The only thing that is working FOR you is long daylight hours.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Why see London in 1 day when you are there for 4.
Im confused.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

We haven't booked our tickets for any of the sites aside from the 2 tours, just the transport between each city so I just mean we can't change how many days we have in each place. You've helped me already by telling me we can't tour the inside of those places in one day. I guess I need help putting our itinerary together so any tips is great. Then once I have it done I'll post it for feedback on whether it's realistic. I don't want us to be disappointed we missed something so definitely need the experienced traveler's opinion
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:30 PM
yk

Because the OP wants to spend the other 3 days in London to see:
Windsor
Stonehenge
British Museum
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

We're doing other things the other 3 days. I just mean we're craming the typical tourist things into one day. What i'll do is I'll post the itinerary I have so far and see what you guys think. I'm at work so I'll do that tomorrow and I look forward to your thoughts.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM

No. None of this is "do-able." It's nuts. Why would you want to subject yourself to this?
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I found my itinerary. I would love your thoughts and suggestions.

Day 1- arrive in London at noon. Explore area of hotel then check out sites (see below)

Day 2- see more sites

(in Day 1 and 2 these are the sites we want to see, what order should we do them in? :
Tower of London (inside), Buckingham Palace (inside and changing of the guard), St. Paul's Cathedral (inside), Westminster Abbey (inside), Parliament and Big Ben, night river cruise (should we bother with this?).

Day 3- prebooked tour to Stonehenge and Windsor

Day 4-British National Museum, Natural History Museum? (should we do both?) or should we visit Notting Hill or Kensington Gardens?

**note, I could use a few suggestions for evening activites in all cities

Day 5-arrive in Paris at 2:30pm, exploe area around hotel then go to Louvre

Day 6-out of town tour

Day 7-Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and walk Champs Elysees, Notre Dame, should we do an evening cruise?

Day 8-out of town tour

Day 9- Versailles, then to Montmartre in time to see Sacre C'oeur then I thought we could use the evening to walk around Montmartre

Day 10-arrive in Rome at 11:15am, Colliseum, Roman Forum

Day 11-tour of Vatican

Day 12-Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Pantheon

Day 13- we leave at 4:35pm, I'm thinking of using today to visit Villa Borghese and Borghese Gallery (I love Caravaggio).
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Also, in London we're staying at Holiday Inn Express Earl's Court, Paris is hotel Du Lion, Rome is Hotel Laura. Just wondering if anyone has any tips of those areas or hotels?
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Do you arrive in Paris on a Wed or Fri?

If so, doing the Louvre any kind of justice after hitting town at 2:30 might be possible, because it's open late.

If not, I suppose a person could race past the Winged Victory of Samothrace, glimpse the Mona Lisa, get herded out at 6 PM closing time, and feel that she had done the Louvre. Better than not seeing those things at all.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes it's a Friday so I figured we could stay till 10
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM

That sounds good, then. Have fun.
Sacre Coeur at night is nice, actually. Lots of people sit on the steps, play music, look at the lights.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No - most of your plans are foolish -- sorry, but that's the truth. "<i>I have one day to see all the major tourist sites in each city</i>" That is just nuts. The major sites aren't all lined up next to each other like rides at Disneyland. You have to get from one side of the crowded city to the other by tube/metro, have a couple of meals, walk miles --

You have nowhere near "4 full days" in London. Day 1 you arrive at noon - <u>jetlagged</u>. It will probably be nearly 3 PM before you are even checked in/unpacked. So you really only have 3 days free.

You have 4.5 days in Paris - but you are spending 2 of those out of town.

"<i>2 full days in Rome</i>" - at least you got that part right. But you overestimate what you can do on your departure day. You will want to be at the airport by about 1:30 or 2 PM. The train ride will take a bit over 1/2 an hour - so w/ checking out and getting from your hotel to the station - you will want to get started between noon and 1:00.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:38 PM

not to offend, but I am sure glad I am not going on this trip.
Im exhausted reading it.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Yikes, I'm tired and off to bed now after reading this. Exhausting!

You might be able to "see" these cities, but will you actually experience them? Not in my opinion.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:18 AM

My coworker came back from her way overjammed trip to England exhausted, unthrilled, and telling me that next time she'd take my advice and cut way back on activity.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:00 AM

And it's in August to boot.
All I want to know is why?

I started a thread awhile back on people cramming so much into such little time.

http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...a-vacation.cfm

Even after reading the replies it still just wasnt for me. Each to his own I guess.

What stokebailey just said is so true. I hear it all the time.

nicbur...LESS IS ALWAYS MORE...
Vacation is suppose to refresh and enhance your being..
Sit,relax,....ponder....
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:06 AM
yk

I'll try to tackle your London & Paris part:

<i>Day 1- arrive in London at noon. Explore area of hotel then check out sites (see below)

Day 2- see more sites

(in Day 1 and 2 these are the sites we want to see, what order should we do them in? :
Tower of London (inside), Buckingham Palace (inside and changing of the guard), St. Paul's Cathedral (inside), Westminster Abbey (inside), Parliament and Big Ben, night river cruise (should we bother with this?).

Day 3- prebooked tour to Stonehenge and Windsor

Day 4-British National Museum, Natural History Museum? (should we do both?) or should we visit Notting Hill or Kensington Gardens?</i>

Like janisj said, you'd be really jetlagged by the time you arrive on Day 1, and don't count on getting to your hotel by 2pm the earliest. After checking-in and freshening up, it won't be until 3pm before you can even consider heading out for sightseeing.

Since you'd be tired, I'd recommend something "lightweight" to do: Go for a walk in Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park, then head down to Parliament/Big Ben around sunset and walk along the Thames. Don't bother with the night cruise on the Thames... the Seine is much nicer.

Day 2: first thing in the AM visit Tower of London. That will take up the entire morning, then go to St Paul's Cathedral. You can then head to British Museum for the rest of the day.

Day 4: Westminster Abbey; Nat History Museum (or the V&A across the street). If you really want to visit the INISDE of Buckingham Palace, then don't visit either museums and do that instead. Forget about changning of the guards... you have to get there early in order to have a decent view.

You need to prioritize what you <u>really want to see</u> on this trip and give up the ones lower on your list.

<i>Day 5-arrive in Paris at 2:30pm, exploe area around hotel then go to Louvre

Day 6-out of town tour

Day 7-Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and walk Champs Elysees, Notre Dame, should we do an evening cruise?

Day 8-out of town tour

Day 9- Versailles, then to Montmartre in time to see Sacre C'oeur then I thought we could use the evening to walk around Montmartre</i>

I don't understand why you are doing 3 day trips when you only have a little over 4 days in Paris. Are those "out of town" tours booked? If not, forget about those and just concentrate your time IN Paris. Versailles, as I've said before, easily can take up an ENTIRE day. True, the main palace building can be toured in just 2 hours, but the garden and grounds are huge and it's several miles to walk from the Palace to the Trianons and to the Hameau. It's a waste of time and $ to go all the way to Versailles for 2 hours just to say "I've been there".
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:37 AM

I'd skip Versailles, myself. There's plenty of splendor in Paris. Also, those fabulous palace rooms are stuffy and a little malodorous, even in the fall.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:36 AM

I'm thinking your out-of-town excursions are not worth what you're giving up in town. I can understand wanting to see some particular sight, like Stonehenge or Versailles, and I can understand even more wanting to see something of the countryside. But you need a longer trip to do all this.

To fill your empty evenings in London, you could take a walking tour of the pubs: www.walks.com. And the theater is great there. A play at Shakespeare's Globe Theater?

The sights scheduled for your day 12 in Rome won't take that long. But maybe you'll need a rest by them. A little dolce far niente is part of the Italian lifestyle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -