Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Running of Bulls? Animal Abuse? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/running-of-bulls-animal-abuse-543295/)

PalQ Jul 11th, 2005 09:53 AM

Running of Bulls? Animal Abuse?

Though i appreciate the argument that it's a cultural heritage i consider things like Pamplona's Running of the Bulls to be indefensible, to my thinking, animal abuse. Being startled by a loud bang and prodded once in the ring and then slaughtered in the fights - this should be a thing of the past. Like Foie de Gras i hope this practice, along with Spanish-style bullfighting - bloodbaths - i hope it ends up soon on the scrap heap of history. Though i reluctantly santion the slaughter of animals, in a humane way, for eating even though i'm a mainly but not strictly a vegetairan, inflicting pain on animals is inhuman!
What do you think?
What do you think?

FainaAgain Jul 11th, 2005 09:54 AM

Agree.

kenderina Jul 11th, 2005 10:05 AM

I'm Spanish and I'm not at all interested in bullfights, bull running or any other thing related to bulls or any other animal suffering.
In the case of Pamplona, it is not only the bulls ..it's also the people who runs drunk or without knowing the streets and risk their lives just for "fun". At least , bullfighters got a lot of money...
Anyway, the thing here is not about the animals suffering, because if bullfights don't exist anymore..the bulls are not breed anymore also. They are a very special race just breed for the bullfight. So it is really an economical factor, if it is for suffering, I believe most people here would agree with the bullfights dissapearing.
By the way, I do believe that the argument that it's a cultural heritage is used as an excuse. There are lots of cultural heritages in Spain that had not been respected and didn't harm anything (buildings, for example).

PalQ Jul 11th, 2005 10:07 AM

I much prefer Bunol's Tomato Fest (La Tomatina) than bullfights - at least only tomatoes that get killed!

kenderina Jul 11th, 2005 10:19 AM

Sure, PalQ, I find it very very much funny !!!

SeaUrchin Jul 11th, 2005 10:24 AM

I totally agree. I just cannot comprehend how torturing an animal can be fun and condoned or accepted by a civilized society. I can't understand a crowd cheering a bull fight or other "sports" like that involving animals. It really sickens me whenever I think of it. Sigh.

FlyFish Jul 11th, 2005 10:27 AM

Foie de Gras? Is that like a coup de gras except you get hit in the liver? If so, I've had the foie de gras administered by a bottle of Scotch or two in my life.

JameJamerz Jul 11th, 2005 10:27 AM

I 100% agree with you on this one PalQ. This should be a thing of the past because we should not slaughter animals for recreational purposes.

Pausanias Jul 11th, 2005 11:04 AM

I found the bullfights I attended fascinating. Some were thrilling, others less so, some downright disgusting. It is a complicated matter which I hope will survive the attentions of its detractors. I believe it is an art form at its best and should probably not be considered in terms of sport.

No problems with foie gras or veal. I guess I just don't anthropomorphise enough . . .

lilminkey Jul 11th, 2005 11:20 AM

I must say I saw a bullfight in Mexico 30 years ago . I have seen shootings, some murders etc. I will tell you nothing was sadder than being a witness to that.The animal was getting peppered with darts bleeding profusely, then the matador entered tortured him for another 20 minutes then sunk a 3 foot sword behind his neck. CRUEL CRUEL CRUEL.

Poohgirl Jul 11th, 2005 11:23 AM

I agree with you PalQ. For the same reasons I also disapprove of rodeos and circuses.

SeaUrchin Jul 11th, 2005 11:26 AM

I think if the matadors want to consider themselves part of an art form they can prance and preen with their tight little pants and so something else in the ring besides lowering themselves, imho, into torturing an animal.

Patrick Jul 11th, 2005 11:30 AM

Be honest now, why did you end your post with "what do you think?" twice, no less?

Do you really care what anyone else thinks? Did you say that because if the arguments were "good" you are considering changing your mind? I strongly doubt it. You have a belief that is obviously very strong, so why do you even care that others may think it is fun or OK?

I personally have no reason to attack or argue against your opinion. Are you asking for other people's opinions so you can attack or argue against them? I'm really curious just why you posted this.

rex Jul 11th, 2005 11:31 AM

"You see a box full of puppies... I see Korean barbecue." HBO, The Comeback...

And oh, I love foie gras...

Best wishes,

Rex

SeaUrchin Jul 11th, 2005 11:32 AM

should be: "do" something else in the ring, maybe disco dancing or sword fencing, lol.

L84SKY Jul 11th, 2005 12:01 PM

I've never seen the Running of the Bulls, but I always thought it was the humans who were abused. What do they do with the bulls afterward?
I do agree with you, but on the otherhand I'm not into telling people what they should do in their own country. (Even though I'm an American).
It could be argued that what we do in the U.S. is inhumane. To cage an animal until it's certain death and then it's off to slaughter with them. What's humane about that? I think if I were an animal I would at least like a shot at causing some damage on my way to the big sty in the sky.
Being a pet owner, I think it's awful that people eat dogs. But I'm not about to shake my finger at the countries that do this. Of course, if I saw someone abusing a pet or raising them for food in my own country I'd be the first to notify the authorities.
It's a bit like smoking. I don't smoke and wish people wouldn't but if I go to a country where smoking is the norm, it's up to the citizens of that country to complain, not me.

PalQ Jul 11th, 2005 12:20 PM

Patrick: why did i post? i post lots of things and did this because i just saw the frenzied bulls running down the street on TV and thought how awful it was - yes it's an opinion strongly held - i actually thought a lot of folks would support the thing. About saying What do you think? twice - i have no idea how that happened - it was calculated must have hit wrong button must have hit wrong button must have hit the wrong button. I really don't want to 'attack' anyone though the nature of the question like you so aptly put it may imply that. I take your comments to heart and see your point.

nukesafe Jul 11th, 2005 01:00 PM

I probably should not take this thread so seriously, but I have two adult children who are avid animal-rightists and I have been having his argument with them for years.

We are human beings. Human beings have always exploited animals, probably always will. There is range within this exloitation that runs from stealing honey from the bees without their permission up through eating beef, chickens sacrificed for Voodoo, bear baiting, cockfighting, bullfighting, etc.

It is societal and individual cultural/religious values that make the cut of where this "cruelty" is unacceptable. We (mostly) have made the cut against pit bulls, cockfighting, etc. Spain has chosen to retain bullfighting and the activities at Pamplona. You won't catch me running in the streets wit the bulls, but Spain is not committing a mortal sin by allowing it.

You are entitled to voice your opinions at where the line is drawn based on your own culture and/or values, but please do not take the absolutist position that every culture that makes a diferent choice is "wrong". If you do, you back yourself into the argument that my kids have taken that "all animal exploitation is immoral".

Let me tell you, if you get into my face about my choices -- spray paint my wife's fur coat, release all the animals in a cancer research lab, or scream at me in a restaurant when I am enjoying a steak -- expect me to express my differing opinions strongly. As I have just done.

kismetchimera Jul 11th, 2005 01:16 PM

PalQ, you are my kind of gal..I believe that is a barbaric moneys making ancient cultural heritage that like the Infamous Corrida, should be abolished..

Spain came a long way since Franco died and is now a modern country and as part of the modern world, should abolish many cruel and old fashioned Customs...

nytraveler Jul 11th, 2005 04:46 PM

Obviously it is completely barbaric and inhumane. No sane person could argue otherwise.

My only satisfaction is that each year some of the idiots running are killed or injured - and hopefully their genes eliminated from the human gene pool.