Rugby games & Paris

Search

Rugby games & Paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rugby games & Paris

At first I was woreried that the Rugby games in Paris during our stay would create rowdy crowds and overcrowding, but I am happy to say that , that is not the case.

I do not notice Paris anymore crowded due to the games (they are spread out over France/Europe), and those that we do see, such as Scots in Kelts, add to the atmosphere.

On Rue Guisarde and Rue Princess, most of the Restaurants and Bars have boarded up the front of their businesses, and have them covered in scenes and pictures of their repsective Rugby teams. Its just great! Our apt is above a Rest/bar in St Germaine, and during the France/New Zealand game, there was a crowd so large watching the game on their plasma, that it spilled 3-4 deep into the adjoining street. It is amazing how loud it was with the windows open, but once the windows were closed there wasn't a sound. We in the US should have windows so soundproof. I couln't believe it. Of course there was chanting the night thru, since France won, after being way down at halftime.

Anyway, for those worried about Rugby and Paris, I think it adds much, and detracts little from your enjoyment.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:15 AM

Rugby is far less popular than soccer in France, and so the crowds are smaller. I worried about it as well, but there hasn't been much trouble. Unfortunately, next week is England vs. France, from what I understand.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:30 AM

There won't be any trouble (ie violence) at the England France game. There will be an awful lot of sub-ASBO behaviour by MPS closet cases though.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:58 AM

I'm curious about Scotsmen in Kelts - I think you mean kilts. A Scotsman in a Kelt conjures up a very different picture

AnthonyGA I'm surprised you say that rugby is less popular than football in France. Whenever I've been to France everyone has been wanting to talk rugby to us, never football. Reminiscing over trips to Cardiff Arms Park, over the Millenium Stadium, Twickenham, blah blah blah, yawn. (Not a sports fan just married to one.)
Rubgy does not attract the hooligan element that football seems to and the supporters from both sides tend to get together after the match for a good booze up (unless they are underage of course!).
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:14 AM

supporters from both sides tend to get together after the match for a good booze up>>>>>

After which they will show each other their willies and throw up in your hat.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:30 AM

I would also disagree with you Anthony. There was plenty of excitement in Paris (Sept 24 on), in the cafes, advertising, store window displays, television, rugby shirts and souvenirs, and newspaper.
Here in Dordogne, the cafes are all showing the games, France TV 1 carrying it. It is very exciting and we are caught up in the event - we don't understand it all but what the heck.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Rugby is huge in France and alot of the top world class players play in the area French teams.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:43 AM

For the record, Rugby is known to be 'the game played in Heaven'!!

s
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
My mother is a big rugby fan, and I had to watch the Springboks vs. Fiji in her room this afternoon. Two of the African female orderlies came by to take a look on their break and talked excitedly about France beating NZ last night. "I really hope we win the world cup," they both said, meaning France, although one of them is from Mali and the other one from Senegal.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We found it very popular throughout France and I smiled when I noticed a book in the shop where we were browsing.
Understanding Rugby for the young women.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM

We were near the Hotel de Ville in Paris last night when the Blues won. It was Nuit Blanche, and the streets were full of people anyway, and a HUGE crowd was watching the game on immense screen on the Hotel. When the game ended, I thought the towers of Notre Dame would shake and fall! I have never seen so many happy, drunken, people in my life.

There was a lot of shouting, laughing, blocking traffic, singing, and vomiting, but no violence that we saw.

We ducked into Aux Trois Maillez, just off Rue Petit Pont, at around 11:00 for a drink, and to listen to the piano player, and singer, and to let the crowd thin, before catching night bus no.22 to our apartment. We had a good time, as we got to talk to some of the performers we had seen the night before. The bar was full of a big party of Scotts in kilts, who were moving on the ladies who, it turn were trying to see what they wore under the kilts.

When we came out at around 01:00, the streets were still blocked - traffic at a standstill, and people even more wasted. We waited for a bus until after 02:00, and then had a stroke of luck to find an empty cab.

Best 5.50 Euros I ever spent! We didn\t get to bed until after 03:00.

I'd say the French are into Rugby.

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
And also very into the Nuit Blanche -- 2 million participants last night. The floating-in-the-dark individual poem speakers whispering through glowing blue tubes directly into people's ears from above in the Madeleine last night was one of the most striking things that I have ever seen. I did not even know what was inside, but once I saw the line to get in at 1 am, I knew I had to go.

All that time, joyous honking drivers kept arriving from the Champs Elysées.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Even if Rugby IS the 'game played in heaven', I understand that one of the benefits of getting to heaven is that you don't have to WATCH it being played!