Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rue St Honore Area (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rue-st-honore-area-905183/)

BruceRhonda Sep 6th, 2011 03:36 AM

Rue St Honore Area

We are planning a trip to Paris fro New Years with 2 of our grand daughters. We are thinking of renting at either 398 Rue St Honore or 65 rue de Bac. We don't know which neighborhood would be better for the girls

BruceRhonda Sep 6th, 2011 03:59 AM

I in advertantly hit submit before I finished. We would appreciate any insight from fodorites before we make our final decision. We would ideally like to show them a typical Parisian neighborhood with all of the small shops, boulangeries etc. Thnaks for your input

mamcalice Sep 6th, 2011 04:19 AM

Rue de Bac more closely resembles the "typical" Parisian neighborhood that your describe. It's hard to generalize but that would be my choice.

Michel_Paris Sep 6th, 2011 04:56 AM

St Honore is a nice neighbourhood to visit (Ritz, Place Vendome, fashion stores, etc), but to stay in I would prefer Bac

oakglen Sep 6th, 2011 05:36 AM

If the girls are into shopping, 398 is in the midst of the Holy Grail of upscale boutiques. Lots of fine restaurants, many quite reasonable. And the Concorde metro (line 1) is just a few blocks away. True, it is not "typical" Paris, and if they are not impressed by names like Hermes, opt for rue de Bac.

kerouac Sep 6th, 2011 06:38 AM

Actually, one should not confuse rue Saint Honoré with rue du Faubourg Saint Honoré, on the other side of rue Royale. Rue Saint Honore is more normal and has more of a neighborhood feel. Rue du Bac is in the dead zone of government ministries and various embassies. Police on every corner.

cristeen Sep 6th, 2011 06:59 AM

2 years ago December we stay at Rue Rouget de l'Isle. It was a very nice boutique hotel. Dh especially loved it. While I like the ambiance of the 7th or 15th, Rue St Honore Area is so close to everything and so easy to get around. We were very proud of ourselves and our ability to navigate. haha
We had a fabulous time. It was a wonderful time of year to go, too. Can't wait to go back.
Have a great time. Safe travels.

BruceRhonda Sep 6th, 2011 08:20 AM

cristeen.
what was the name of your hotel?

cristeen Sep 6th, 2011 09:08 AM

Oops, sorry. I should have posted. We really did like the staff, room, breakfast, & location.
http://www.paris-hotel-mayfair.com/f...iles-paris.php

BruceRhonda Sep 6th, 2011 10:22 AM

kerouac,
the Rue de Bac apt is in between Rue Grenelle and Blvd St. Germain. Is that the ministry and embassy area or is it more residential?

Thanks

danon Sep 6th, 2011 11:12 AM

another vote for Honore.. shops, restaurants, close to everything.
most of Rue de Bac would be boring for the girls.

kerouac Sep 6th, 2011 11:26 AM

<i>kerouac,
the Rue de Bac apt is in between Rue Grenelle and Blvd St. Germain. Is that the ministry and embassy area or is it more residential?</i>

I just checked Google street view, and that is indeed a residential block. I do like Matsuri for takeaway sushi, but that is not the location that I go to.

cristeen Sep 6th, 2011 11:30 AM

"I just checked Google street view, and that is indeed a residential block. I do like Matsuri for takeaway sushi, but that is not the location that I go to."

I love Google street view. I walked all around the streets of Paris from the comfort of my sofa in Philly before went visited. It was perfect and really helped with deciding how to get around.

denisea Sep 6th, 2011 04:35 PM

I vote for Rue de Bac...love the area.

annakarina Sep 6th, 2011 06:01 PM

We were just in Paris 2 weeks ago and stayed at Rue de Castiliogne. We loved it due to its central location....shops, metro, Louvre, Jardin de Tuileries, etc.

On a previous trip, we stayed at a residential area in the 16th arrondissement at Rue Pergolese near the Champ Élysées. Loved that, too.

BruceRhonda Sep 7th, 2011 12:41 PM

Thank you all for your input. We have decided to go with the Rue de Bac apartment. The decision would have been much more difficult without your assistance.

kerouac Sep 7th, 2011 01:47 PM

And yet I would have chosen rue Saint Honoré.