rue St. Andre des Arts in Paris

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

rue St. Andre des Arts in Paris

I have found a nice-looking apartment on which to stay on rue St. Andre des Arts. Is this a very busy, noisy street at all hours? I'm worried about losing sleep.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Yes it's a very busy street with a ton of foot traffic. Great location. Do you know what the soundproofing is or whether it faces the street?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:59 AM

It's a great location, right in the 6th and close to lots of things. It's mostly pedestrian - there are cars but it's very narrow so no trucks, speeding, etc. There are a lot of cafes and bars so it's lively so there will be some noise. So, no it's not an ultra busy boulevard with road noise, etc all night, but it's not a quiet back street either. I've stayed in the Hotel St Andre Des Arts and left the windows open and it wasn't too bad, but if some nosie bothers you then maybe you should reconsider.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Late at night the street gets really quiet and empty so if you have the double glazed windows, you should be OK..We stayed in an apt on a very busy corner last visit and it was completely quiet at night, good luck~
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Is this through Vacations in Paris? If so, we stayed there in June. The street is very busy, the apartment does face the street, and there is a bar very close to the apartment and during the World Cup the bar got very, very noisy. But when we shut the windows it was very quiet and we slept fine. We loved the location: all kinds of restaurants (great crepes and gyros right across the street--the gyro had the best meat of any place we tried in Paris). You are extremely close to the metro, walking to Notre Dame, markets, the Seine, etc. It was great!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Two years ago, we stayed near St. Severin and found that area to be TOO busy with young partiers and tacky restaurants. Does this area have a different ambiance?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, PWAbbott, it does sound like the same apartment. Were you happy with the actual apartment as well?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:02 PM

The partiers and older and a little wealthier The restaurants are more refined.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM

It's only a few blocks away, I'd say the ambience is very similar. I know it is very busy and noisy earlier, but I haven't been there at midnight.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 01:50 PM

We thought the apartment was great. It's two levels and has a wonderful bed and small but adequate bathroom upstairs. The downstairs has the living room-kitchen area and another bath (just toilet and sink). The appliances are all very small but work well. We had a hard time with several appliances because of the French manuals, but the owner does leave a book of instructions in English. She was very helpful. We had two sons with us so it was fairly crowded, but if there are just two of you, you should have plenty of room.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I think this is the same apartment I am using next April. I am glad to hear it was quiet with the windows closed, PWAbbott. When are you going to Paris, jranger?
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

We are going mid-May - hopefully you will enjoy the apartment and your trip, Kay_SD!