Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rue Jacob hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rue-jacob-hotels-233789/)

gretchen Jun 23rd, 2002 08:29 PM

Rue Jacob hotels

The following hotels are on my short list, does anyone have any comments or other suggestions ? Thanks !<BR>Hotel d'Angleterre<BR>Millesime Hotel<BR>Hotel du Danube<BR>

russ Jun 23rd, 2002 09:08 PM

Just got back from Paris and stayed at the Millesime Hotel. I would happily go back. We had a very quiet room facing the central courtyard (which is what we asked for). The A/C worked well, which was great as it was 95 degrees F. with 100% humidity. I would also consider Hotel des Marronniers, which is right next door. I only walked into the lobby, but they have a nice garden in the back where you can have breakfast.<BR><BR>Rue Jacob is an excellent location. The street is not overly busy, and within 1 block are the caf&eacute;s across from Saint-Germain des Pr&eacute;s, as well as the lively Rue de Buci.

gracie Jun 23rd, 2002 09:48 PM

Gretchen, I haven't stayed at any of your choice hotels yet. However, I too have contacted each one for enquiries. We have reserved a room at the Millesime. Out of the three, in terms of real helpfulness and friendliness the Millesime Hotel has the best clerks-Remy in particular.

pam Jun 24th, 2002 03:33 PM

Just a few weeks and counting to The Hotel Millesime. They have been so accomodating in every aspect. They have arranged all types of things for us and with a smile across the e-mail wires.<BR>I hope they are as nice once we arrive. I think they probably will be.

gracie Jun 24th, 2002 03:44 PM

Pam, did you receive your help from Remy at the front desk? She's been really nice and friendly in her emails and very prompt. She seems like a genuinely nice person. I'm sure they'll all accomodate you once you arrive. You can tell by the emails.

tipper Jun 24th, 2002 03:52 PM

I will top a thread regarding the Angleterre.

kate Jun 24th, 2002 03:58 PM

Hi gretchen,I topped a post concerning the Hotel D'Anglerre,which I love and there is some info on that thread for you.Also, we stayed at the Danube once, a couple of years ago.It is small,charming,great staff, the room we got was on the top floor,overlooking the courtyard.There were two windows in the room,some antiques,a nice chandeleir,two twin beds pushed together and a small but quite nice bathroom.<BR>They are very reasonable too.I don't think they have a/c.

Sue Jun 24th, 2002 04:23 PM

I've stayed at des Marronniers, which is set back from the street on a courtyard. Charming hotel; rooms are not large, tho. Rue Jacob is probably the best location in St. Germain, IMO. Deux Continents is also a very popular one on same street. <BR>I can't imagine you'd go wrong with any of your choices. Have fun!

Gretchen Jun 24th, 2002 05:06 PM

Kate,<BR>Thanks ! I found your thread on d'Angleterre, great information on the hotel, looks like it will be perfect for me. I e-mailed them and received a response within 2 days,I was pleased and did not expect anything faster. They have three catagories, double room (125e), deluxe (175e - 210e) and apartment (260e). What do you think the major differences are between double and deluxe & is it worth going to a deluxe ? Do they have doubles facing the courtyard ? Do they provide bath amenities ? Is a/c necessary for end of August, first week of Sept. ? One more question, if you don't mind - is 13 days in just Paris too long ? I know it's never too long, but wondering if I should go somewhere else for a few days while I am there, this will be my first trip to Europe. Going solo so I don't want to get too complicated. Gretchen

jeanne Jun 24th, 2002 06:00 PM

Gretchen: Boy, do I understand what you're going through. I've planned a solo trip in October for 17 days! <BR><BR>I really want to go out in the countryside but was hesitant about renting a car and heading out alone. Now it appears a friend is going to join me so we'll definitely tour the Loire and Normandy areas. <BR><BR>(But I suspect I would have ended up out in the countryside regardless of whether my friend joined me)

pam Jun 24th, 2002 06:26 PM

Yes,Gracie. Both Remy and Andrea have been enormously helpful.<BR>Goodnight Gracie.

kate Jun 24th, 2002 07:01 PM

Hi Gretchen,<BR>you are really asking the wrong person here about how many days to stay.No matter how long we are in Paris,I never want to go home:)But being able to be there for that amount of time,will give you more opportunities for day trips,and relaxing,not hurrying through your days so you can see everything,it will be fun.<BR>As to the rooms.We stayed on a top floor,and had a large room, it was a deluxe.The room next door had a couple of young girls staying over the weekend,and they would have their door open sometimes, we could see that the room was fairly small.But , if it is only you,it won't be too small.I believe that every room has a full bathroom of its own.<BR>I am one of those people that really likes a/c in the heat and humidity.And I have not stayed in Paris in Aug.So I really can't advise you there.<BR>Does the Millesime have a/c? They get very good reviews from posters here.<BR>Also,the Hotel Universite very close by the Danube has a./c and they are also a nice charming hotel.<BR>Just to confuse you further:)

kate Jun 24th, 2002 07:04 PM

Whoa! gretchen ! I think I may have read your post wrong! Which hotel were you referring to? the Danube or the Angleterre? LOL,I am jabbering away about the Danube!

Gretchen Jun 24th, 2002 07:49 PM

Kate,<BR>I was asking about the d'Angleterre. I was convinced until I read some reviews on Fred's site - anamericaninparis.com this is the only site I have found negative comments about d'Angleterre).<BR>Too many hotels to sift through ! Maybe I should book the first 3 nights and see how it goes, then extend if I get a good room, or check out the other hotels recommended on Rue Jacob while I am there for the next 10 nights. Staying in Paris for 13 nights sounds perfect, time to relax, shop and see the sights without rushing off to the next destination. What are your top picks for cafes in the Rue Jacob area ?

xxx Jun 24th, 2002 08:47 PM

Gretchen, I saw those negative comments also and I decided to take my chances. I know the comments you're talking about: mold in the bathroom, disgusting bedspread, not as great as the person thought it'd be. It's too late for me because I already sent my check for the deposit. But I'm staying for 2 nights only. We're leaving for Strasbourg and Bern and then returning to Paris but staying in the 5th dist. at the Abbatial St. Germain. We couldn't afford to pay 250+ Euros/night for an additional 4 nights. I just wanted to try the Angleterre as I'd always heard about it so I talked my husband into going there. I really wanted to stay at either the Duc de St. Simon (but they didn't have a room big enough for our family), the St. Gregoire (booked up), or the de l'Abbaye (booked up also). <BR><BR>I am hoping for the best. When I called the Angleterre, I was told the deluxe room is very nice. I should have asked the clerk to be more specific but I had other questions on my mind. Anyway, like I said, I am hoping for the best.

jill Jun 25th, 2002 07:21 AM

IMHO FredinParis is not the last word on hotels,since he just culls info from other sites,doesn't have first hand knowledge.

xxx Jun 25th, 2002 07:33 AM

I only saw those 3 negative comments on his site. Maybe those were not legitimate comments?

kate Jun 25th, 2002 07:38 AM

Hello,again:)<BR>I haven't seen the Fredmin post regarding the Angleterre,but if mold or dirty anything was mentioned, it has to be an old post,we have stayed there for the past 4 yrs in a row.There has never been anything of that sort in our rooms.This is not a bargain hotel,they cannot be shoddy with their housekeeping or service.<BR>It might be fun to book two hotels and see the difference,then you would know more for the next trip:)<BR>rue Jacob is a great street,and in a wonderful area of the Left Bank.There are so many galleries,shops,cafes and really good places to eat.The metro is nearby wherever you stay,there is a cinema at the Odeon that plays some films in English with French subtitles.There are fantastick book stores,and one of my favorite places to shop is over off rue Dragon,(where you can get all the shoes you want) which is a Pharmacy that sells all makeups and beauty products for less.There is always a crowd,but very good natured, just ladies looking for their favorite stuff.<BR>I will make a seperate list here of cafes/restos that I like in the area.

Diane Jun 25th, 2002 07:40 AM

You might want to stay five nights in one place, do a short trip out of town -- to Chartres and Mont St Michel or maybe to wine/chateau country for three nights -- then the final five nights elsewhere. In fact, you may want to relocate to another part of Paris for your last five nights.

xxx Jun 25th, 2002 07:43 AM

Kate, I assume Angleterre provides shampoo, soap, etc.? Any famous brand?<BR><BR><BR>Also are the shoe stores around rue Jacob have reasonably priced shoes?<BR><BR>Thanks again!