Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rue de Sevres (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rue-de-sevres-341240/)

laud Jul 26th, 2003 03:56 AM

Rue de Sevres

Anyone familiar with Rue de Sevres in the 6th arrondissement? Is the area a good one, is it too far from main attractions? We are undecided between a rather large apartment, just renovated in this area, and a much smaller one in the Marais for the same price.
This probably is trying to compare apples and oranges in terms of the two neighborhoods
However, any comments or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
JL

ira Jul 26th, 2003 04:19 AM

Hi Laud.

Rue de Sevres is at the edge of the 6th and 15th. You are about 1 blk from each of 2 metro stops.

See www.multimap.com.

If you go to http://www.voila.fr/PJ/ and input your address and Paris you can see the building, view the street and get a map of the area.

Christina Jul 26th, 2003 05:52 AM

Rue de Sevres is basically the border of the 6th and 7th--one end of it does go into the 15th, but its really the 6/7th. It depends where you are, but that is certainly a good area. I would love to be able to shop at the Bon Marche Grande Epicerie (gourmet grocery store) for food myself. It's a very good area, upscale.

Both areas are fine, I'd go by which apartment you like better. Depending on the exact street, I might prefer rue de Sevres myself.

It's very near things--closer to some things on the Left Bank than the Marais, of course. DO you have a map of Paris? If you are renting an apartment, I think you should get one so you can see where it is in proximity to the things you want to be near. I think you may not realize what a small area you are talking about in terms of distances between the Marais and rue de Sevres, and their distances to main attractions. YOu aren't going to be able to walk to everything in Paris, probably, but you could certainly walk to a lot of things in the central area from either of those.

Gretchen Jul 26th, 2003 05:56 AM

You might go to the pages jaunes and enter the addresses. Then you can "walk up and down the street" to see what it is like.

RobynFrance Jul 26th, 2003 07:14 AM

I adore rue de Sevres--lovely shops, especially where it crosses rue du Bac--you are near the Maillol museum--one of my faves and within walking distance of just about all of central Paris. There is a fair amount of traffic on the street--so you will hear the noise--but ah--Paris is Paris.

RonZ Jul 26th, 2003 07:18 AM

http://www.citefutee.com/orienter/bus.php

That is the URL for bus routes. Take a look at 39, 70, and 87, which run on your street. Number 87 is a particularly good one.

withglasses Jul 26th, 2003 01:37 PM

Another vote for Rue de Sevres. My mom had a flat on Rue Mayet (more towards Montparnasse), and she got around fine for eight years.

Your location choice ultimately depends on your form of transport. Do you and your party plan to utilize the métro often or do you prefer walking? Provided that you stay in the 6th, you will be fine if somewhere in between the Vaneau and Sèvres Babylone métro stops, even as pedestrians.

laud Jul 26th, 2003 01:53 PM

Thanks a lot for all your input. Actually the apartment is on the Rue de Sevres close to the Rue Mayet. I believe not too far from the store Bon Marche. Yes, Robin, the street noise is a concern. The apartment (wich looks very nice) is on the second floor and both bedrooms have balconies to the street. Anyway, when there are so many good apartments availbale, it is very hatd to make a decision.
Thanks again.

laud Aug 1st, 2003 10:12 AM

Well, we finally decided for the apartment on the Rue de Sevres. It looks real nice judging from the pictures and informaton on their website. We still have about two months
before the trip, but I will tell you all about our experience when we come back. Have been to Paris before, but this is our first time in an apartment.
We shall see.
Thanks,
JL

ira Aug 1st, 2003 10:29 AM

Hi laud,

Mind telling us the rates and what you booked?

Marilyn Aug 1st, 2003 10:31 AM

Mmmmmm, Bon Marche food market is TO DIE FOR! More than any other place, it made me want an apartment next time I go to Paris, so I could buy all those lovely goodies and have a place to store and eat them at my leisure.

laud Aug 1st, 2003 11:09 AM

Ira: The apartment is called La Cigogne.
The rate for two people is $1200 per week. The owner lives in the USA and he is at the apartment in Paris right now.
He owns another, larger and more expensive ,called La Cigale. You can see them at his website: www.lacigaleparis.com

ira Aug 1st, 2003 11:12 AM

Thanks, laud.

Marilyn Aug 1st, 2003 11:25 AM

Cheaper than our hotel on the Rue Jacob! Please post after your return, laud, and let us know how it was.

laud Aug 1st, 2003 11:33 AM

I will let you know upon our return how we liked the place. I can't wait to get there!

Ursula Aug 2nd, 2003 07:36 AM

Rue de Sevres is one of my favourite neighbourhoods. I used to live on Rue Saint-Placide, off Rue de Sevres and just a couple of steps from Le Bon Marche. I always keep going back to shop there, especially at Le Bon Marche.

laud Aug 3rd, 2003 06:57 AM

Thanks Ursula for your input. I am sure we will enjoy the Rue de Sevres. All comments so far have been favorable. You said you used to live in that neighborhood. Are you French?

RonZ Aug 3rd, 2003 03:29 PM

Neighborhood info, Bon Marche

http://www.chezvous.com/paris/neighb...he/marche.html

laud Aug 4th, 2003 10:17 AM

Thanks RonZ for that web address. Just checked it out. Good site full of information.

Laidback Aug 4th, 2003 01:00 PM

laud, I stayed in La Cigale and visited La Cigogne with the owner just before the renovations were complete. The area is very nice, across from Quatrehomme, one of the top cheese shops in Paris, and as mentioned a short walk to Bon Marché, the many small boutiques on St. Placide, and several good restaurants:Epi Dupin,La Cigale,Nemrod, etc. As Ron correctly pointed out, the transportation is excellent, you can get to anywhere in Paris from the Sevres/Babylone bus and metro hubs. You will find Randy and Diana Smith to be very nice people to deal with.