Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rue de la Harpe of Rue Guy Lussac? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rue-de-la-harpe-of-rue-guy-lussac-802191/)

worldbound Aug 20th, 2009 03:16 PM

Rue de la Harpe of Rue Guy Lussac?

Hello,

We are considering a one-week stay in either of these 2 streets in the 5th. We are in our late 20s. if you were us, which would you choose, and why?

Thanks

worldbound Aug 20th, 2009 03:17 PM

Apologies, that's rue Gay Lussac!

Leely2 Aug 20th, 2009 03:59 PM

Rue de la Harpe is too much in the thick of tourist madness for me, so I'd choose Lussac, which is still very conveniently located for a lot of sightseeing. Rue Gay Lussac is a bigger, busier street in terms of buses, etc. Rue de la Harpe is usually thronged with people. It sort of depends what you like.

janisj Aug 20th, 2009 04:37 PM

To me it would mostly depend on the aspect of the specific flat. I've stayed twice in an apartment in rue Xavier Privas just around the corner from rue de la Harpe and loved it. But that was because it overlooks a quiet courtyard instead of the restaurants/noise of the street.

I loved being that close to the river/Notre Dame/St Michel - but if it was on the other side of the bldg it might not have been so hot . . . .

So I'd want to know everything about the flats/noise/floor before deciding.

StCirq Aug 20th, 2009 05:05 PM

I agree about checking out the actual flat. I hate rue de la Harpe, but that's not to say the apartment might not be wonderful. As long as you stay clear of those Greek restaurants with the plastic sample food items that are all over the place, you'll be fine.

janisj Aug 20th, 2009 05:15 PM

Actually - I loved those Greek restaurants! Oh -- NOT to actually <u>eat</u> in any of them (ever!) - but the barkers out front of each one :) After about the third day they recognized me and would tease/flirt outrageously . . . .

kerouac Aug 20th, 2009 09:16 PM

Rue de la Harpe will have no vehicles but lots of potentially noisy people.
Rue Gay-Lussac is a main thoroughfare and could have some traffic noise.

Suzanne2 Aug 21st, 2009 06:58 AM

Even a great apartment would not prompt me to stay on Rue de la Harpe.

tod Aug 21st, 2009 07:25 AM

Definitely Gay Lussac!
Reason:
It's nearer to Luxembourg Gardens.
It butts onto Rue des Feuillantines (near the Val-de-Grace)
and a favourite restaurant Le Vin Sobre is nearby at 25 rue Feuillantines.
I like the area a lot -

StCirq Aug 21st, 2009 07:31 AM

On one of my very first trips to Paris, I naively actually ate in one of those places. There was a dead pigeon under the table, and the food was inedible.

Live and learn.

Christina Aug 21st, 2009 09:08 AM

Gay Lussac, you couldn't pay me to stay on rue de la Harpe.

Nikki Aug 21st, 2009 09:11 AM

For me, Gay Lussac. But I believe my two daughters, in their twenties, would prefer rue de la Harpe.

kerouac Aug 21st, 2009 09:32 AM

Rue de la Harpe does not deserve its nickname 'Bacteria Alley.' If this were true, those restaurants would have been closed long ago. Having been in the café business in Paris, I can absolutely confirm that the health authorities do not play around with this.

I have never eaten in one of those 'Greek' places but they seem to be full of satisfied customers, so I will not disparage them out of ignorance.

StCirq Aug 21st, 2009 09:47 AM

I'm not disparaging them out of ignorance, I'm disparaging them out of experience.

kerouac Aug 21st, 2009 10:24 AM

Urp -- you actually walked into such a place?

StCirq Aug 21st, 2009 10:31 AM

If you read this thread, you will see that I not only walked into such a place, but dined there, with a dead pigeon under the table.

baladeuse Aug 21st, 2009 10:38 AM

I agree with Nikki. The OP is in his/her 20's and would probably enjoy the vibe of Rue de la Harpe. I confess that when I first visited Paris at age 20, I loved that whole area around Rue de la Harpe, though I wouldn't stay there now, 30+years later. I went back out of nostalgia a few years ago and can confirm that the restaurants are definitely to be avoided. But I still love the jazz club around the corner, Caveau de la Huchette.

baladeuse Aug 21st, 2009 10:49 AM

Kerouac, a friend of mine did get violently ill after eating in one of those restaurants. Of course she did not report it to the health authorities. Like most tourists, she had no idea how to do that. I think locals certainly avoid eating there.

I still think worldbound would enjoy staying there. As I was told by a Parisian, just stay west of Boul'Mich' to eat.

Nikki Aug 21st, 2009 11:21 AM

In addition to Caveau de la Huchette, there is Caveau des Oubliettes, a jazz club in the basement of a bar that has a real guillotine on display. Music every night and lots of people in their twenties, as well as some older folks. My daughter and I both had a good time.

kerouac Aug 21st, 2009 11:31 AM

<i>As I was told by a Parisian, just stay west of Boul'Mich' to eat.</i>

I would say to eat NORTH of boulevard Saint Michel (has anybody ever really said Boul'Mich' since 1965?).