Rue Cler or Rue Mouffetard

Jan 31st, 2002, 03:44 AM
Kavey

Rue Cler or Rue Mouffetard

I am thinking of visiting one but probably not both of these Parisian food markets during my upcoming trip (Feb 2002).

Would really appreciate your reviews, feelings, portraits and comments on these two markets.

Many thanks
Kavey

Jan 31st, 2002, 04:03 AM
Ursula

Kavey, hello.

I love Rue Cler which. Go hungry. Very hungry even.
Rue Mouffetard is more touristy, but nice as well.

Jan 31st, 2002, 04:04 AM
Ursula

Kavey, hello.

If only we could edit our messages. Here it goes again:

I love Rue Cler which I discovered only very recently. Go hungry. Very hungry even.
Rue Mouffetard is more touristy, but nice as well.

Jan 31st, 2002, 04:18 AM
Gretchen

These are beautiful market streets but are "permanent" stores with gorgeous displays of their wares. I love the markets that set up on various streets such as Pl Monge, Blvd Richard Lenoir. All sorts of fruits, veggies, meats, cheese, roasting chickens, pate, spices, clothing, wine, bread, etc. Just beautiful and so Parisian. Buy it achingly fresh and go home and cook it.

Jan 31st, 2002, 04:40 AM
Ursula

Gretchen: When I was on Rue Cler, it was a real street market too. The shops had displayed their goodies IN the street just like the ones you mention. Maybe, they don't do that every day though. As a matter of fact, there are also street market on Bldv. Edgar Quinet, 14th and Blvd. Raspail, 6th about twice a week.
There must be street markets in every area of which we are not aware, because we do not visit those arrondissements.

Jan 31st, 2002, 05:12 AM
cheviot

We adored the Rue Cler on a June 2001 week-long stay at La Motte Picquet (very fine for a budget place). Great food, and best of all, you can walk a couple of blocks to sit at the Eiffel Tower park with your baguette and Boursault (our favorite ripey-type cheese). It's a handsome little environment. On the corner of Rue Cler and something, just opposite a food mart, is a great cafe that we ate at all the time, sorry don't remember name. Get the duck.

Jan 31st, 2002, 05:30 AM
s.fowler

I'm glad you liked Hotel La Motte Picquet -- that's where we like to stay. Is Mme. Ireland's little poodle Maia still around?

The fixed stores on Rue Cler spill out into the pedestrian street, giving the effects of an open air market. Some of the offerings are absolutely the best.

Jan 31st, 2002, 05:37 AM
s.fowler

Just noticed who started this thread -- Kavey -- the cheeses, bread & pastry and charcuterie [not to mention chocolat] are first rate at Rue Cler. But perhaps someone can compare them in terms of their scale and "class" -- Rue Cler is in a very upper class area and the goods reflect it -- I'm not as familiar with Mouffetard. And rue Cler is near some of my fave places to eat in Paris -- the wine bar Sancerre and La Fontaine de Mars.

Jan 31st, 2002, 05:58 AM
Ursula

Agree with Sally.
The food on Rue Cler is definitely upper class, because it's in the 7th arr. which is definitley a very residential and upscale area of Paris. I would say, the best after the 16th for a permanent living.

Friends of mine used to live on Rue Amelie closeby and absolutely loved it. They wanted to move to a larger appartment, but couldn't find anything in their price range in that area. They do regret it a lot.

Jan 31st, 2002, 05:59 AM
kavey

Thank you all very much...

Rue Cler seems to have the vote...

Has anyone else been to both?

Has anyone else a review of one or other to share?

Many thanks...

PS Sally, you know you shouldn't tempt me with the chocolate and pastries!!! It's one of my many weaknesses!

Jan 31st, 2002, 06:05 AM
Ursula

Kavey: Go to Rue Cler. There are some terrific cheese shops!!

If you need restaurant suggestions, let me know.

Jan 31st, 2002, 06:08 AM
s.fowler

Or me The two I mentioned would work for your group I think. Sancerre is very simple and family run, serving omlettes, quiches and salads with the wines. La Fontaine... has a bistroish downstairs and a more elegant upstairs. The food is quite good, but more important, the servers are very friendly and helpful.

Jan 31st, 2002, 06:08 AM
Gretchen

Absolutely agree that the displays "spil out" onto the street--every day (well, maybe not Sunday). I also just love all the other markets that can go for blocks where you can see so much variety. Here is a link that lists all the markets and their days in Paris.
http://www.paris-france.org/parisweb/fr/vivre/MARCHES/marches01.HTM

Jan 31st, 2002, 07:32 AM
A.M.

I have been to both and agree about the Rue Cler market, altough it wasn't open each day we were there. We stayed at the Muguet and found it very comfortable. I enjoy the area around the 7th.
A.M.

Jan 31st, 2002, 07:36 AM
kavey

Thank you!

Jan 31st, 2002, 07:51 AM
Ursula

Kavey, please let us know how you liked it and what you bought once back.

Jan 31st, 2002, 07:55 AM
JB

I have been to both markets a few times and I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Rue Cler has magnificent food and the Eiffel Tower looming in the background. Rue Mouffetard begins right at Place Contrescarpe (which I love) and has more restaurants and little shops that sell items like CDs and clothes at that end...then as you head downhill you will run into the section that has more food for sale. Or you can venture a little bit in the other direction up Rue Descartes and look for tiny little streets that branch out with the most picturesque restaurants. A little more touristy than Rue Cler, and IMO as picturesque as the Place du Tertre area, but not nearly that touristy.

Sure you can't find time to do both!?! I'll also be there in February and can hardly wait! Have fun!

Jan 31st, 2002, 09:19 AM
Betsy

Hi Kavey

Mark and I love rue Cler. The cafe on the corner that cheviot referred to above is the Cafe du Marche, and it's very typically Parisian--try their salade Nicoise. The crepe stand outside the cafe's front door is a definite "must do" (several times), and there's a wonderful patisserie on the opposite corner from the cafe.

Just wish I could wiggle my nose and be magically transported back there right this minute.

Bon voyage
Bon appetit

Jan 31st, 2002, 09:30 AM
kavey

You all rock... thank you! I cannot wait!!!

And of course, I will report back to Fodors when I return...

(In my usual, anally retentive kind of way!)

Jan 31st, 2002, 10:04 AM
Joe

I like both, but the rue Mouffetard is my favorite It's a narrow medieval street on a winding slope that ends at a small 15th (I think)century church. The top half is full of tourist restaurants, but the bottom half is blocked to traffic and contains one of the oldest street markets in Paris (to quote from the guide book I was using). It has a nice mix of local residents with string bags and students from the Sorbonne. And because the stalls and storefronts are very close together, the smells of cheese, fish, flowers, etc. are intense. As Sally said, Rue Cler is upper class; the buildings are 19th century and the street is relatively wide. If you can squeeze in the time, it would be a good contrast to visit both.
Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO