Rue Cler Market

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Rue Cler Market

Does anyone know when the shops in the Rue Cler begin to open in the morning?
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Neopolitan

Not specifically, because it's a lot earlier than I get up.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I think they are open around 8 or so. We left our apt around 8:30 9 most mornings and they were all open..or so it looked and sounded.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Neopolitan

Google is a marvelous thing:

"Hours are generally 8am-1pm and 4pm-7pm. Tuesday through Saturday, and 9am-1pm on Sunday. Many of the shops and stalls are closed on Mondays."

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Google is marvelous but Scarlett was kinda marvelous too..I got it right

I think the rain is getting to me
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Neopolitan

Well, just in case geoflag was planning on going on Sunday or Monday. . .

And now the whole world knows I don't get up till after 8 in Paris!

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:51 PM

They start opening up around 7:30.

And it's not a market. It's just a street with a lot of food stores, some of which have stalls that spill out into the street a bit.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM

And it's not special or unique in any way, because Paris has thousands of streets just like it, even if Rick Steves is too superficial to mention them.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM

And some people throw a hissy fit if you say you like it or are planning on going there. Actually, its cute enough and fills a need for Americans and locals alike.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Paris Las Vegas and Epcot Center fill needs, too, but they aren't Paris.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM

And Anthony, WHAT need are you filling???
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Why, Resident Curmudgeon, of course...

Every party needs a pooper,
That's why we invited you...
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Neopolitan

"And it's not special or unique in any way, because Paris has thousands of streets just like it."

Don't you just love exaggeration to the point of absurdity?

Three or four that are real similar -- maybe.

Why on earth would someone get so upset at the very mention or suggestion of a particular street? If Rick Steves hadn't mentioned it would he still get upset about it? One would think that no locals shop there. Hogwash.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Patrick, next thing you will see written here is that Rick hires French people to walk up and down Rue Cler and do a little fake shopping.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:14 PM

No, I really mean thousands. There are about 20,000 streets in the city, and streets with shops are extremely common.

The purpose I serve here is to help people get a balanced perspective on Paris and what to see and do there, instead of the intensely skewed perspective provided by Rick Steves.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM

"intensely skewed perspective provided by Rick Steves.'

What exactly do you mean by that assertion? Don't hold back. Let it rip.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Neopolitan

Oh, so now any street in Paris that happens to have a single food shop or two is "JUST LIKE" Rue Cler, with its two solid blocks plus part of a third housing dozens and dozens of open air stalls and shops.

Interestingly nearly any list of "where to food shop in Paris" or any list of markets in Paris will list between 5 to 12 places. EVERY list will include three of them -- Mouffetard, Montorgueil, and Rue Cler. Lepic will also find its way onto most lists. Beyond that it's up for grabs. To deny Rue Cler is not one of THE MAJOR food market streets in Paris is a very strange sort of denial!

Come on, now Anthony, I really don't think there are more than maybe 975 streets in Paris EXACTLY like Rue Cler.

I don't particular care for Rick Steves either, but I don't go into a frenzy at the very mention of anything he has suggested. Isn't that being just a little bit silly? I think he also suggests people see the Eiffel Tower. Maybe there are a thousand of those in Paris too and seeing it should be avoided at all costs?

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I think this is all a tempest in a teapot.

It was probably like: Rick Steves wanted to mention a Paris shopping street. He happened randomly to choose Rue Cler, instead of any of hundreds of others that he could have.

So instead of seeking out something whose exact co-ordinates they don't know, tourists look for the one with the name they know.

That's all it is.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM

My concierge told me about Rue Cler (even though Rick Steves told me about the hotel).
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:58 PM

I personally think Rue Montorguiel is a better market street. There is a better variety of eating places and fewer tourists.

That said, I find it extremely comfortable to stay near Rue Cler. the neighborhood is so much nicer and quieter. The last apartment we had was just off a sreet call Champ De Mars. It was literally steps from the grocery store, cheese store and a good bakery, It was around the corner from Rue Cler. This is an area where you can put your clothes in the washer at the laundrymat and go shopping for dinner. Come back put the clothes in the dryer and go set the table for dinner. It has a very homey atmosphere. You do however, here alot of English speakers on Rue Cler which seemed a little weird at first.

I really love most of Paris and I would probabley not have gone were it not for Rick Steves. To each his own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO