rude folks and the cell phones...

Mar 4th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Buzz

rude folks and the cell phones...

In reply to a question about the French elsewhere, this was posted concerning the use of cell phones (perhaps) in relation to the decline of good manners...

Yes, the cell phone is a monster and I’ve never seen it more used/abused than in… London! ( Angelino’s & New Yorkers don’t even hold a candle to the Londoners.) My friends who live elsewhere in England have commented on it to me many times. I first noticed it about 5 or 6 years ago, when the technology started to become so prevalent. Business types walking down a noisy street, plugging their ear on one side of their head with a finger, screaming into their phones, “Right, but I can’t bloody hear you, Nigel, speak up, old fellow”! I’ve always wanted to tap them on the shoulder and say, “Right, mate, we’re all mighty impressed, but I’d be even more electrified if you had an office to phone from, or even the courtesy to step into a phone box.”

A friend of mine from Gorleston On Sea and I departed from London once on our way to Norwich. The couple over from us had introduced themselves as Londoners. They spent the duration of the trip on their phones, talking, playing games, whatever. The fellow made an attempt to read a paper, but grew as fidgety as a junkie and, able to stand no more, he dropped the paper to the floor of the carriage and fished his phone out of his coat pocket, jabbing wildly at the buttons.

As we approached our destination the lady made a call and started talking very loudly, very excitedly to a friend of hers, “Yes, dear, we’re very near the station…very near, indeed. Oh, there you are! Can you see me, luv? Here we are, here we are,” all the while eagerly waving to her friend who was waiting at the platform with her cell phone glued to her ear!

I’ve seen people leaving their flats in London, locking the door, turning to walk down the steps while reaching for their phones. I always wonder, why not just stay inside and make your calls before heading out?

Any time, anywhere, they cannot seem to live without their cellular phones. Americans are not too far behind, and neither are the French, but for my money the folks in London take the cake.

Mar 4th, 2002, 12:14 PM
zzzzzzzzzz

Why did you feel the need to post this twice?

Mar 4th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Buzz

Gee, I'm SO sorry, we're having some problems here...and, well, I thought perhaps it might be an interesting thread, no idea it might be offensive to some of the more important types who can't possibly be bothered. My apologies. I'm so embarrassed...

Mar 4th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Buzz

ALTERNATE ANSWER: We posted it twice in order to pique brazen twits who are agitated by such trifling offenses? Can you say, “Get a life?”

Mar 4th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Arnie

Be warned...The Fodor's Volenteer Gestapo doesn't like originality. Those with nothing to do but patrol this site do not allow mis-spelled words, double postings or simple, legitimate questions from new-comers. You've been warned...

Mar 4th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Fodors_VolUnteer_Gestapo

OK Shwhienhund you haff asked for it...

Zat should be volUnteer yah ???

Mar 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
be

My goodness, buzzzz , for someone concerned about rude folks and cell phones, you are doing a good imitation of a rude folk online.

Mar 4th, 2002, 02:23 PM
me

You may think Buzz is rude, but at least we can skip his posts if we choose to. When you are in certain situations with cell phone people, there is no way of avoiding them.

I was on a train recently and had the unfortunate experience of sitting in front of a woman who sang Happy Birthday into a cell phone. The least she could have done, with so many people listening, was to imitate Marilyn Monroe's version to John F. Kennedy. But nope, all we got was her nasal screech.

Mar 4th, 2002, 02:34 PM
hearditall

We just had an article here in DC about the amount of personal grooming people are doing these days on the Metro, even includes flossing your teeth! UCK. I think the reason these things are distasteful is that they are supposed to be private, just like your personal phone conversation...to foist your private life on the public is rude, esp. as the last poster said, when the public is trapped with you.

Mar 4th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Maira

Oh, my gosh! Cell phones in London are a craze like I'd never seen!! Everybody was either talking on to one or dialing keys at all times! I read on the local newspapers about concerns with a wave of cell phone thievery and , with what appeared to be gangs, snatching phones from owners. It can be annoying at times, specially whe you are in line to buy something and the guy/gal in front of you is not paying attention because he is "absorbed by the cell".

Mar 4th, 2002, 02:51 PM
fedup

I absolutely hate public cell-phone users. DO NOT force me to listen to your stupid conversations. I read a humor column about how to get back at cellphoners (art Buchwald, I think) and he liked the tactic of just joining in the conversation with them. Such as:
Cellphoner: So, um like you know what going on there??
Unfortunate Person Seater Nearby: Hey, lots has been happening to me, let me tell you all about my last trip to Colby, Nebraska to see my Aunt Florie,and so on and so. (spoken in a very loud voice of course.) Art said all the cell phoners got mad at him, can you imagine?

Mar 4th, 2002, 03:43 PM
m

I saw a woman once in a beauty salon, sitting and talking very loudly on her cell phone.An older woman sat down right next to her, pulled out her cell phone, and without turning it on, just yelled into it...drowning out the other person! I would never have the nerve but it worked.

Mar 4th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Annette

The world is changing but that does not mean our manners should. I, personally, do not want to be "that connected". But I understand some people rely on cell phones. I think now it is just a matter of having some good etiquette or just simple common courtesy. I live in the US and I see it all the time.

Mar 4th, 2002, 04:03 PM
elvira

Cell phones are a plague. Not once, whether in my home town, or Florida, or Paris, or London, or San Francisco have I ever heard anything really interesting from a cell-phone conversation. Geez louise, could you at least entertain me if I have to listen to it? How about "yeah Mel is in town and we've gotten Danielle Steele to write the script" so I can REALLY gag, or "Chelsea and I had lunch, and she's engaged to Brad!" so I can call the Enquirer with the scoop. Nope nope all I hear (and this actually happened) "I'm in the aisle with the white rice; which one should I get?". Give me something to work with, people.

It's like verbal f**ting - noisy AND it stinks.

During a performance of Death of a Salesman, Brian Dennehy chastised a member of the audience for his cell phone. Brian is now my new idol.

Mar 4th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Rachel

Thought I'd share my awful cell phone experience. I have nothing against them in general. I wouldn't be annoyed if two people near me were talking so why care about a cell phone.

However, recently, on a Venice to Rome train, one woman's cell phone really tried my patience. This Italian woman was trying to select a ring tone. She played, at very loud volume, all 50+ ringtones her cell phone offered (many of them several times) before selecting one. The train was quite full but very quiet, many were trying to sleep. She was oblivious to the death stares coming her way as she played irritating tone after irritating tone. I wanted to strangle her.

Mar 4th, 2002, 04:51 PM
r

I wish I knew what we could do about it. Often it's attention seekers doing this in quiet places. And yes, yes, Elvira, they are all so frigging boring. I was just at the Post office. In the U.S. it's one of the few places where people are actually quiet, even silent. Let me add that I live in a town of 60,000 people--it is very small. We are never very far from our home or office telephones. It's not like L.A. or N.Y.C. where I can understand the purpose of a cell phone. I walk in and there is a vibe in there I can't quite decipher-- then I hear the blonde with the ponytail and the tight pants is on the phone. Laughing her big a__ off, loudly. People are trying to be polite but I see them sighing as they exhale deeply. It's so awfully annoying. Don't these people know how annoying it is? Why don't they know?

The worst case of it I've ever seen is in Spain and I love Spain. But the deep need of these people to always be on the phone and communicating with one another simply boggles the mind. I give up!

Mar 4th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Patsy

Let's see -- we've covered...

* fat people
* travellers w/children
* those who eat at McDonalds
* smokers (of any ilk)
* anyone wearing apparel dif/from/norm
* cellphone users

... who shall we bash next?

Mar 4th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Ban

I have always felt that these people, like the woman on the train with the bell ringers..are just self important..they think that somehow talking to someone on a cell phone gives them some kind of importance,that they are a somebody,that what they say is interesting to everybody..If only they all knew what they were really thought of~

Mar 4th, 2002, 05:35 PM
tomi

I love the talking back technique a la Buchwald. Think I'll try it if I can get up the nerve. Will they hit me with their cellphones? Or will they think I have the latest itty-bitty invisible phone and pay no attention?

Mar 4th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Why

I too HATE cell phones which are obnoxious - I refuse to even get one so I don't get sucked into that rude behavior.
Why do we always hear how much people hate being subjected to hearing others on a cell phone yet the practice increases constantly?
Do people think that only others are annoying on cell phones in public and not themselves? Are people so egotistical to think others care about what they are doing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO