Royal Wedding week-end getaway ideas?

Apr 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Royal Wedding week-end getaway ideas?

We're planning on staying home (Greater London) and watching the wedding on telly on Fri 29th April, but want to get away Friday night or Saturday morning for a couple of days since it's a long week-end for us.

We are in our 50s, like historical places, have a car, and are on a tight budget.

Have just spent HOURS on places like Trip Advisor, Expedia, etc., and, just can't make a decision! It's like my brain has short-circuited!

Thought about 1-day on Isle of Wight (Osborne House) and 1-day in Portsmouth (HMS Victory, etc.) but can't seem to locate an affordable, decent hotel in Southampton near the docks (ferry).

Can anyone jump start my trip planning juices??? (In the meantime, I'm going to start a separate thread for Southampton hotel or B&B.)

Thank you!
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Since that is now a Bank Holiday weekend - you may have left things a bit late to book someplace nice.

". . . but can't seem to locate an affordable, decent hotel . . . "

What do you consider 'affordable'?
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Meant to add -- if you want to visit Portsmouth -- wouldn't it make more sense to stay in Portsmouth instead of S'hampton?

Or -- have you considered the New Forest/Lymington? A very pretty area, ferry to IOW, plus you could see places like Beaulieu and Bucklers Hard
Apr 11th, 2011, 05:45 AM

Have you tried booking.com or laterooms.com? I always use one or other of them if I've left things late. How about Rye? It's not too far from London, lovely little place, and lots to see nearby e.g. Bodiam Castle, Battle for Battle of Hastings site.

Good luck
Vicky
http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.com/
Celebrating the Great British Coast
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM

Agree with Janis - at such short notice options (especially for popular holiday w/e getaways like Rye) will be very limited indeed.
May 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM

TeaLoverDenise:

I have a personal question I'd like to discuss, can you message me via email: [email protected]? Thanks,