Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Royal Wedding Monaco July 2011 will anything be open that week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the Royal Wedding taking place on July 1 and 2 will roads and palace be closed the whole week?

We will be on a cruise docking in Villefranche and our plan was to visit Monaco and Monte Carlo in the afternoon, going to Nice in the morning

We will be in port Monday June 27, 2011 which is the Monday before the wedding. I tried doing a search in Google and looking at websites like vistimonaco.com but couldn't find the information I am looking for

Thank you
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM

Everything will be open that week, with SOME exceptions on Friday 1st July and Saturday, 2nd July declared Public Holidays in Monaco but with liberal Open Policy for business of over 30 people in consideration to visitors. You should be able to buy wedding souvenirs, that should be fun

A Fun coincidence: a couple of years ago I bought a souvenir postcard from Grace and Rainier's 1956 Wedding at the Antiques/Flea market in Cours Saleya in Nice (every Monday! DO NOT miss it!).
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM

I'm going to be there those few days too! Are the citizens of Monaco very excited for this wedding? It might have been way overshadowed in the media because of the British hoopla. I wonder if there will be many people traveling there specifically for the event.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Monegascans are probably relieved that Albert is finally making it official-- he has already fathered two (2) children born out of wedlock; one girl born to an American woman (married at the time; nice...), and a boy with an African stewardess. Neither one is named Heir nor Heiress to Monaco's throne. The named Heir as of to date is his sister's Caroline older son, Andrea.

These royals.....