Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Royal Wedding announced - I need to book my flights (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/royal-wedding-announced-i-need-to-book-my-flights-866817/)

susie Nov 16th, 2010 04:23 AM

Royal Wedding announced - I need to book my flights

If someone hears an exact date announcement, please post here so I can book my flights. I'm not going to miss this.

bookchick Nov 16th, 2010 04:34 AM

Susie, the wedding date is unlikely to be announced before January or February according to Clarendon House.

BC

Dr_DoGood Nov 16th, 2010 04:38 AM

Yeah - I need to book flights too.
Anywhere'll do just so long as its out of the UK.

alihutch Nov 16th, 2010 04:41 AM

You're kidding, surely that you'd book to come to the UK because of a royal wedding?

susie Nov 16th, 2010 04:43 AM

alihutch: Any reason will do, but I think that's a good one.

Dr DoGood: Maybe we can do a house swap.

alihutch Nov 16th, 2010 04:46 AM

Ah, you are serious....wow...

bookchick Nov 16th, 2010 04:48 AM

I'm sorry, but I erred, and should have written "Clarence House". Ack, early morning!

BC

Dr_DoGood Nov 16th, 2010 05:18 AM

<b>alihutch</b> of course I'm serious. No really I am - I'll be having a chat with my (French) wife this evening and suggest that, as soon as the dates are announced, we book some holiday time, and take the boys on one of their half-yearly trips to see their grandparents in Perpignan.
Honestly you've no idea what the hoopla is likely to be over here in the months and weeks leading up to the wedding. Why they can't have a private do at Windsor Castle or wherever and leave the rest of us out of it I don't know.

What's a republican to do?

I'll spend the day whistling La Marseillaise amongst my adopted confreres and lamenting that we're still to join the modern world.

avalon Nov 16th, 2010 05:45 AM

I'm booked for March , Maybe I should write Wills a letter and let him know my dates!

alihutch Nov 16th, 2010 05:51 AM

Dr_doGood I know that YOU're serious, it was susie I was wowing at.

I'm British, I live here and running away seems like a great idea!

Kate Nov 16th, 2010 05:56 AM

Oh come on, killjoys, it'll be a blast. And, who knows, they might give us a day off work!

GeoffHamer Nov 16th, 2010 06:01 AM

I remember the wedding of Prince Charles and Diana which was a public holiday. I went on a day trip to France and found the train to Dover was packed with people having the same idea. There will be many people who want to be out of the UK for next year's royal wedding.

Aduchamp1 Nov 16th, 2010 06:07 AM

I live in New York and I am thinking of running away.

susie Nov 16th, 2010 06:11 AM

For Charles and Diana, we (friends & neighbors) got up in the middle of the night and we all put on our hats and watched it on TV. So one advantage of being in the UK this time around, at least I won't have to get up in the middle of the night to see it all.

cambe Nov 16th, 2010 06:18 AM

The bookies are saying August in the Abbey but I read somewhere that they preferred St James' Chapel and wanted a quiet low key affair. I doubt they will be allowed a quiet wedding.

March is too cold
April - Easter
May - Chelsea
June - Ascot and Wimbledon
July - bad memories as that is when William's parents got married.
August - the bookies might be right

bookchick Nov 16th, 2010 06:22 AM

I've heard the couple is looking at late June through mid-July.

And yes, I've heard they want to keep it as small as this event could be.

BC

alihutch Nov 16th, 2010 06:33 AM

She's from the next village ot the one I grew up in

Viajero2 Nov 16th, 2010 07:49 AM

The circus is on...bring in the clowns :O)

pavot Nov 16th, 2010 08:25 AM

Oh no. I AM going to be in London in July. Booked and paid for. Please no please no please no please no ....

pavot Nov 16th, 2010 08:36 AM

Well there you are: the always-reliable Daily Mail has predicted August 13 as The Big Day. Phew.