Reload this Page >

royal olympic cruise(stella solaris)greek isles &turkey for 7 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 08:35 AM
jan

has anyone been on this cruise? going in sept. feedback wanted re: total cruise, your likes and dislikes, staff,food and cabins, dress code, itinerary Have

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 07:40 PM
Frank

I was on this ship with the same itinerary in the summer of l996. If I tell you that I like this ship and its itinerary, I have to explain why it appeals to me and why it would not be everyone's cup of tea. <BR>1. I don't like ships that carry over 700 passengers- the smaller the better. Most of the small ship are old (20-40 years)and the cost is usually about $150.00 per day OR new small luxury ships charging $400-$500. per day. If a spanking new ship is more to your liking pick one of the new megaliners (1500 passengers) which you can probably get at about $200. per day. (In today's market, booking early gets the best price.) I dislike large ships because of the logistics of getting 1500 people off and on again for excursions, however, from what I read on the Forum, they seem to be doing it efficiently. My bigger concern is the ability to meet people. (I frequently travel alone.) The large ships are like big cities- you don't know your next door neighbor, whereas the small ships are like small towns. When the cruise is over, you know practically everyone which for me is one of the joys of travel. <BR>2. I'm primarily interested in where the ship takes me. I do not consider the ship to be a destination in itself. In addition, the smaller ships are more likely to dock at a pier and more likely to go to ports that are too small for the megaliners. <BR>3. The officers and service staff are Greek. Like Americans, they do not make good service people. Unless you're a pretty girl, you'll find them serious and dour. But if you get a smile, it's sincere and not a pasted on expression. They, nevertheless, do their job well. <BR>You'll find the public rooms in very good condition as are the more expensive cabins. On lower decks, however, you'll find the bathrooms dated and perhaps the carpeting stained and worm. (Always find out when the older ships have been refurbished last.) The beds are comfortable and everything that can be cleaned is clean. The food in the dining room is good- not gourmet. I show my age when I say it is not what is was 40 years ago. Likewise, the service is good, but not French service. <BR>The Stella Solaris is one of 3 (the Maris may have been sold) ships comprising the Greek Sun Line. This line has joined the Greek Epirotiki Line as Royal Olympic for marketing purposes. I have been almost on all their ships several times. Their N.Y. office is not as efficient as it could be if you're doing anything unusual like boarding somewhere other than Athens or getting off in Kusadasi for a week and re-boarding when the ship comes around again. <BR>If a hotel stay is included in Athens, try to avoid their tourist class hotel which is OK but stay in the Plaka on your own, of course, at a consideration of a price reduction. (That will throw the office in a tizzy) I have not been on the Marco Polo of the Orient Line. They do a similar itinerary at about the same per diem cost and I hear very good things about them. You might also read all the remarks on the Forum about the megaliners. Most reports are excellent, but would not be my choice.

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 07:54 PM
Frank

I forgot to mention dress code. As dressy as you like. Two formal nights- take a tux if you have one, but lounge suits are fine. Cocktail dresses or gowns for the women. Many womem wear longs skirts every evening. In this informal age, for me it is enjoyable to "dress." We have so little occasion for it anymore. Forget about the current motto of taking half as much as you think you need. You need it all. For excursions, no sneakers. Rubber soled walking shoes are fine. American tourists too frequently look like they came from a third world nation.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 04:08 PM
Phyllis

My husband and I and two other couples were on this cruise during the second week of July. The ship is very well preserved.We had an outside cabin that had ample closet and drawer space,two medicine cabinets,a bath tub.The food was very good; the portions just right.The stewards were very helpful.The ship's doctor and nurse were extremely helpful and competent.The itinerary is the best...I had really done my homework on that! We went on all excursions except for Patmos, and Troy should have been eliminated as well. Use that free time to get a massage (excellent) or catch up on sleep or post card writing. If you want any further inormation,feel free to e-mail me.

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 05:38 AM
jan

thanks for your help phyllis. can you tell me what type of clothes we should bring? what was it about patmos and troy that you didn't like. i too did my homework in planning our trip for 8 months and am still unsure about a few things. will i neeed a transformer on the ship for usa hairdryer and curling iron etc? what hotel did you stay at in athens. we are debating between the grande bretagne and electra palace. what was piraeus like? we are spending our last night post cruise at the castella hotel in mikrolimano. what should we do and avoid doing in athens? we've waited 30 years for this trip. thanks again. jan

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 09:14 AM
DebbiePheris

I went on the 7-day cruise (about 600 passengers) to the Greek Islands and Turkey a couple of years ago (when it was Epirotiki) with my family. We had the best time. The food and service was great. Like the above post from from Frank, the smaller the ship the better. ( I recently went on a Royal Caribbean cruise with 2,000 passengers and the food was not what I expected.) My sisters and myself (then in our teens) had plenty of activities to occupy us while at sea during the night and made plenty of friends. I liked Patmos but you don't need to take a paid tour. The island is small and not much to see and so you can walk yourself. The GB is a beautiful hotel but expensive. The Electra Palace is also very nice and less expensive and it has a pool on the roof that has a great view of the Parthenon.

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 12:21 PM
Phyllis

Jan,as far as clothes went...comfort was primary during the day.I wore my Reeboks when I knew there would be climbing and rocks.I wore good sandals on Mykonos.We were there the week of July 6th..it was very,very hot and so I wore sleeveless tee shirts and walking shorts.However,for the excursion to Istanbul,you must wear a skirt,nothing sleeveless and men must wear pants...all this to enter the mosques.Evenngs were casual dress meaning a skirt and tee or pants and top.Formal night anything went.Since we had been touring on land the previous week,I brought a wrinkle-proof black top and skirt and faux pearls and felt very well dressed.My husband wore a dark blue sport jacket and dark slacks and so did about 2 dozen other men.Of course,many wore tuxes.Did not see any gowns. I brought a converter that had a switch for high voltage and low voltage and also had an adaptor.I wound up giving the steward a deposit (which was refunded)to borrow a hair dryer from them.I had to blow-dry my hair and shave in the cabin.The one bathroom outlet was for shavers only!Troy had been a great disappointment after all the excavations we had seen in Greece,and after seeing Ephesus the day before.The wooden Trojan horse is a replica.It was just so unexciting,and it was a 25-minute coach ride to and from the port!Patmos had not interested me so I knew that would be the day to sleep a little later and get a massage.If you want a late dinner seating,be sure to book it now or before you board the ship...it was closed out when we got there!

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 07:06 AM
jan

thanks everyone for your help. i really appreciate all your input. phyllis, i emailed you directly, but have been having trouble with our server which was out totally for 3 days. our email(outging seems to have problems now so I'm not sure you got my lengthy leetter. let me know and i'll try again. i wanted to know if we can do the tours on our own or if the ship's excursions are really much better, or are they overpriced? I've found in the past, in the caribbean, it was better to sightsee on our own, but am unsure with greece and turkey. thanks, jan

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 10:53 AM
Phyllis

Jan,I never got your e-mail.Try again when you're able.Whenever I go on a cruise,I always feel more comfortable paying for their excursions,which do cost more than going on your own.But I dread hassling cab drivers regarding the fare,and then once arriving at the destination,having to view on our own and perhaps missing something important.You could,if you're lucky,be there when there's an English-speaking guide talking to his group and just hang out there and get the tour! I have also worried about making it back to the ship on time,and in a few cases,the coach or tender does get back just before sailing.Get some other feedback and then make the decision yourself!

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 10:56 AM
Phyllis

Jan,I never got your e-mail.Try again when you're able.Whenever I go on a cruise,I always feel more comfortable paying for their excursions,which do cost more than going on your own.But I dread hassling cab drivers regarding the fare,and then once arriving at the destination,having to view on our own and perhaps missing something important.You could,if you're lucky,be there when there's an English-speaking guide talking to his group and just hang out there and get the tour! I have also worried about making it back to the ship on time,and in a few cases,the coach or tender does get back just before sailing.Get some other feedback and then make the decision yourself!

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 11:20 AM
Nurdogan

If you need any info about Istanbul and Turkey ,Write me. <BR>NURDOGAN, <BR>Best wishes from Istanbul

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 04:48 PM
jan

nurdogan, thanks so much for responding. i would love to have a recommendation for a turkish restaurant for lunch when we are in Istanbul i have seen your response to others in the past month, but can't find you art shop address at this time. is there anything we should avoid seeing in Istanbul? we want to see Tophapi, Dolambache, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, cruise the Bosphorous on the local ferry and see Galata Bridge etc. Any help is appreciated. thanks, jan

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 05:55 PM
Jeannette

Jan, I am also researching the Stella Solaris for May of 1999. I would LOVE to hear how you liked the trip. I've read some wonderful reviews of the ship and the service -- only a few negatives. <BR>Where have you found the best prices? <BR> <BR>Remember me if you can. Jeannette

Old Oct 3rd, 1998, 11:13 AM
lynne

<BR>Jan: <BR>How was the trip. Do you have any advice for the rest of us? I am looking at a similar trip in the next year.... <BR>Lynne

Old Nov 3rd, 1998, 06:37 PM
Joni

We will be traveling on the SS "Exotica West", 21 day repositioning transatlantic cruise Dec. 1 thru 21, '98. Anyone desiring info about the ship or the trip, just email me! <BR>