Rovinj, Croatia - Which hotel?

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rovinj, Croatia - Which hotel?

Rovinj will be the first destination in our 2-week trip in Croatia. We will stay there for 4 nights, but I am not sure where to stay. Both hotels Park and Istra are getting good reviews, but it seems they are about 20 min walk from the town – is that information accurate?
They also look very big…we usually like smaller hotels with less people. Actually, less noise.
Can you please recommend a hotel in the town, preferably with a harbor view? We will rent a car, so a parking lot would be plus.
Thanks
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 03:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hotel Park is a 5-10 minute stroll from the centre of the town. It has a harhour view. Hotel Katarina on Saint Katarina is actually my favourite hotel as it's a renovated Austrian era villa with a lovely garden. It's much more expensive that Hotel Park. The island is a 5 minute boat trip from the boat landings in the old town. Parking is a problem in Rovinj, the old town is pedestrian traffic only. In high summer you'd be battling with various Europeans who drive down to Rovinj for their holidays. I'm not sure whether the hotels offer parking as they generally cater to tourists who come by bus and fly in. Car driving tourists tend to stay in apartments,rent rooms or stay in the camp grounds. Have a great holiday Rovinj is a lovely town.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 03:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops wasn't too clear. Hotel Katarina is on Saint Katarina Island.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been trying to reserve a hotel or a room for 3 nights, the first week in July in Rovinj. Noone is willing to book for 3 days. It is high season and they are requiring a 7 night stay. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stayed at Hotel Adriatica, right on the town square. [email protected] I highly recommend you stay in the old town. It's so lovely to have breakfast on their outside terrace and watch the town wake up. The Park and Istra are huge hotels about 15 minutes from the main town.

There's another hotel in the old town that I ran across a website for, but I've never been able to find it again.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Images2,
I’m shocked!! Which hotel did you try? I only emailed hotel Katarina (we will be in Rovinj for 4 nights) and they were fine – emailed me back with all the details.
I’m not sure we will pick Katarina – the ferry to connect the hotel to mainland only runs once an hour in Sept, but the hotel looks very nice, away from the noise.
I’m still looking around…I’ll try Adriatica next. Park and Istra are way too big for us.
Catbert, do you remember the name of the ‘other’ hotel you mentioned?
Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry, I really don't remember. Try Hotel Angelo d'Oro. It's in the middle of the old town and has good reviews on Trip Advisor.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have e-mailed Hotel Adriatic, my first choice, 3 times and they haven't responded. If you get a response please let me know. Maybe I'm sending it to the wrong address?? My contact is www.istra.com/jadranturist which goes to a web site for all hotels.

Hotel Angelo d'Oro did offer us a room, but it's very expensive.

I e-mailed Hotel Katarina last night when I saw it was recommended. It looks wonderful. They haven't replied yet. Since we'll be there in the summer it looks like the ferry to town will run every 30 minutes, which would be fine.

I contacted several of the independant places from www.rovinj.info about reservations and was told that since we will be there in high season, July 2 for 3 nights, they wouldn't let us reserve a room unless it was for 7 nights. They always book up with week rentals.

Most places I've tried won't even e-mail be back. I'm having a difficult time with this city
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the Adriatic direct try [email protected]. Or just call 385 52 815 088
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Images2,
I emailed Hotel Adriatic – no response yet, but I’ll let you know if I get anything. I agree, hotel Angelo d’Oro is pretty expensive, over our budget. Planning Croatia is not easy…
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so very much Catbert for the contact information for the Adriatic. You are wonderful!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, Images you are so welcome. Croatia is hard to plan. I'm afraid it's recent popularity has outpaced it's infrastructure upgrades. But it's so worth visiting. It looks like you'll be having a great trip.

From Rovinj be sure to visit Pula, with it's Roman ruins. Also, Piran (Slovenia) is a cute little town. If you have a car, Motovun is a magical town. I hope you get a chance to indulge in Istrian truffles.

In Dubrovnik I highly recommend the Atlas trip to Montenegro. It will be a once in a lifetime experience and you don't want to attempt to drive the whole route yourself.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Catbert,
Thanks for all the info you share here. We will have 3 full days in Istria - so we’ll probably spend 1 in Rovinj, 1 in Pula and surroundings, 1 in hill villages (Motovun and surroundings). What other towns there should not be missed? I think September is truffle season, so hopefully we’ll get to taste them. Any special restaurant recommendation in Istria?

We will have 4 full days in Dubrovnik. Do you think it’s worth taking one away for a Montenegro trip? Thanks
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We received a response from Hotel Adriatic in Rovinj today, thanks to the new e-mail address! Thank you so much. I asked for dates in July and they confirmed us for the right dates, but in June. I've e-mailed back and hopefully they will still have the room available for us in July! The good news is that they take a credit card for confirmation. This is the first place in Croatia that we have found to take a credit card confirmation. This is just wonderful.

Yes, we are planning on taking the Atlas trip to Montenegro, and plan on seeing Pula. Thanks for the suggestion about Piran. With a rental car I'm not sure if they want us to cross the border out of Croatia. I've been looking at Auto Europe for car rental, but if anyone knows of a local company to rent a car from, it'd be a great help. We want to pick the car up in Split and drop it off in the Rovinj area. I know the larger companies are requiring us to drop the car off in Pula.

Thanks again for all your help!